Old 01-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Make a list but continue to refine it. Determine which items are deal breakers and which just preferences. Be willing to change based on more observations. For instance, you say a lower helm isn't important. Not for a summer afternoon on the lake. However, either the upper needs to be enclosed or you need a lower if you're going to cruise into more seasons of the year and more areas of the country.

Also, think who will be on the boat and what each person will be doing at different times. Think too of personal preferences at home. Does one of you like to cook in privacy and without the other around or is meal preparation a social time and would you like one to be able to prepare meals while the other was at the helm within view and talking distance. Some couples like to spend their time together while having separate areas is very important to others.

Also, don't reject an entire boat line because of one model. As an example, maybe the extra 6' in a Beneteau Swift Trawler 50' makes up for the shortcomings of the 44'.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #22

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Off topic, but I really enjoyed the video of Kevin's boat. There ought to be a thread where folks post a video tour of their boat so that those looking can quickly get an idea of what different models look like. I know you can see pics on sale sites, but a guided video tour from the owner really gives you a sense of the boat. Thanks for posting it.

clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post
Off topic, but I really enjoyed the video of Kevin's boat. There ought to be a thread where folks post a video tour of their boat so that those looking can quickly get an idea of what different models look like. I know you can see pics on sale sites, but a guided video tour from the owner really gives you a sense of the boat. Thanks for posting it.
Thanks!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: Northport
Nice boat Kevin - I love that style boat!
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #25

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Probably because I own one, I recommend looking at a Sabre Fast Trawler. I have owned 5 large power vessels including Grand Banks, Stephens, Bayliner and a Meridian pilothouse. Of all, I prefered the Stephens (alas a wood boat which I could not maintain myself today) but the Sabre has really grown on me.

Sabre made this boat in a variety of sizes starting at "36" in 1989 and later added some bigger editions. I have a 1994 36, with twin CAT 300s with ZF/Hurth reduction gears. The boat LOA is right at 43--bow pulpit to swim step and is 12'4" in the beam (plus gelcoat) and draws about 3 feet. It has a flybridge that is actually quite large, with significant space to store gear, and the aftcabin trunk deck. It has wide walk-around decks with stout stainless railings. The boat is entered either port or starboard into the salon/galley with lower helm station. It has a down aft cabin with head and shower , a forward down cabin with head and shower. The joinery and finish work are as nice as any boat I have been on. I added a bow thruster (Sidepower 100S) and have rigged it to single-hand. It is fast--22 kt in the right conditions but very enjoyable at 8 kt as well. I added a Raymarine auto-pilot/depth/speed unit to the existing Raymarine 120C. On a trip down from the San Juan Islands to home in Seattle, I just dialed in the course and the boat tracked just right. You will find that there aren't a lot of them on the market right now and Sabre stopped making them and now only makes express cruisers. You should be able to find something in your price range. Sorry if I have gushed on too long, but it's a great boat.

As someone else said in this thread it's condition and equipment, not year that counts. Make a list of what you want. Shop a lot--both online and out kicking fenders and keep refining your list. Have fun with whatever you get. The nice thing about buying a boat is that do-overs are possible.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #26
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Nice boat Kevin - I love that style boat!

You've owned what two, or three 45 & 47 Bayliners?
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 PM   #27

City: New Baltimore, NY
Vessel Name: General's Quarters
Vessel Model: 2005 Mainship 430 Aft Cabin Trawler
Thank you all. This has been very helpful.

Hereís a bit more information that I didnít initially post due to the length of the initial post.

We have considered Carver, Silverton and Meridians. They are spacious, faster and seem to be more available. We are thinking they may not have the durability to last another 10 years coastal cruising and an occasional cruise to the Bahamas Ė in time. Primary consideration is galley workability and stores storage.

We rented a GB 36 aft cabin Classic trawler and feel we need greater speed. The GB 43í Heritage EU is outside my price point at time.

We did find the Navigator very interesting although there are very few (1) for sale and that one in the the Pacific NW. We would welcome an opportunity to visit one.

We have spent some time on and reviewing Sport Fisherman style boats We have a degree of familiarity with these boats as we have friends who have them in NY and FL. The accommodations are fine, but we found the fly bridge setup Ė not quite what we are looking for. Weíre not ruling them out.

We have taken into account accessibility on and off the boat, as well as bringing supplies and a dink. That is important We have not been considering a Sun Deck for this reason.

We have seriously considered a catamaran, and even rented a power cat in the BVI. The boat is huge but at 22í wide (or slightly less) dock space availability would be limited. Havenít ruled it out, but itís not on our short list.

Weíll further check out the Ocean Alexander & Tollycraft. Weíll consider the Carvers, Silvertons and Meridians as well. Iíd really like to see a Navigator, now that Iíve been aboard a Mikelson.

I am not familiar with Sport fisherman manufacturers. Does anyone have any recommendations of makes & models to review Ė still looking for a different fly bridge layout.

I know this may sound like excuses to your suggestions, but the reality is we think we know what we want and donít want, and have been spending a great deal of time looking. I understand this is all a compromise. This will be our 5th boat, and our cruising requirements have matured as we have.

I appreciate your collective comments.

Jim
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:59 PM   #28

City: New Baltimore, NY
Vessel Name: General's Quarters
Vessel Model: 2005 Mainship 430 Aft Cabin Trawler
Poach, We have also looked at the Sabre. My brother has a 2014 Sabre 38' and loves it. I even went to the plant and toured the facility with the CEO in ME The newer ones are a bit out of my price range, but the older Sabrelines are pretty much what we're looking for. We'll continue to look.

Thanks,

JimL
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:57 PM   #29
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimL View Post
Thank you all. This has been very helpful.

Here’s a bit more information that I didn’t initially post due to the length of the initial post.

We have considered Carver, Silverton and Meridians. They are spacious, faster and seem to be more available. We are thinking they may not have the durability to last another 10 years coastal cruising and an occasional cruise to the Bahamas – in time.

I appreciate your collective comments.

Jim
Jim

Regarding the question of durability...

I would not overlook any of the brands you mentioned based on long term durability. If you maintain it, it's going to outlive you.

I would pick what you like, or better yet what your wife likes.

There is a reason my boats name is "Lisa's Way"

But then again we have four seasons in this boat, and last season we spent a little over 60 nights onboard, and my wife (Lisa ) still likes to go, so that says something.

BTW you are at the same point we were at in early 2011 when we started looking for our next boat. Like you we have had five ocean going cabin cruisers, and our budget at the time was the same as you indicated.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 01-21-2016, 12:21 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Some of these will be outside of your price range or too slow but my top 4 would be (in no particular order):

OA 48
Navigator 48
Mikelson 48
Bayliner/Meridian 4788/490

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:10 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Jim - I might be a bit biased, but check the Navigator 42, 46 and 48s if you can find any on the market. 2 staterooms, 2 heads, lots of storage and decent living space. Economical at trawler speed but can get up and scoot when needed. Biggest complaint the captain has is that the shower is too small.
Or does that really mean the showeree is a bit large Tom..?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:58 AM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
JimL

A few random early AM suggestions:

The current stock market swoon offers a potentially positive buyer's market. You have pretty well and smartly nailed down the type of vessel you want, now find a few forgetting about the asking price. Offer what you can afford and you may just be in for a surprise.

Many boat owners would rather sell than hang on. Don't stray from your desired vessel. Lots of good suggestions here, as usual many of us are emotionally attached to our own brand and oversell it's virtues.

Last but not least, a very nice vessel may have the wrong engines. Peruse boatdiesel as to various brand and model issues - remembering your cruising grounds and serviceability.

Good luck. Judging by your posts you'll figure it out.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Some of these will be outside of your price range or too slow but my top 4 would be (in no particular order):

OA 48
Navigator 48
Mikelson 48
Bayliner/Meridian 4788/490
Al's advice is good, but keep in mind that on the East Coast for coastal cruising size matters. More difficult to find a slip or mooring ball for a 48' boat than for a 42 or 43' boat. Also, when we did the Intercoastal there were a number of places where we anchored that we, at 42', were pushing the limits for length.

As always it is what you are going to use the boat for that matters. On the West Coast the larger boats would be wonderful.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #34
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimL View Post
We have considered Carver, Silverton and Meridians. They are spacious, faster and seem to be more available. We are thinking they may not have the durability to last another 10 years coastal cruising and an occasional cruise to the Bahamas Ė in time. Primary consideration is galley workability and stores storage.

Wouldn't worry about Silvertons; owners in the club seem to be happy with 'em, and don't seem to mention any special durability problems that any boat wouldn't have. Condition as previously maintained would be the key point.

You might check out this blog for a read on withstanding difficult seas; the boat apparently did better than the people: Captain's Blog Stardate 2009: Terror on the high seas.

And I expect Carvers are just a Silverton-equivalent designed and built by a different company. A Ford, to the other Chevy. Dunno so much about Meridian, but many folks here have been happy with their Bayliner predecessors.

Just speaking of the aft-cabin models in the 40-50' range that you've mentioned...

I'm not drawn to the styling of the more current Silvertons aft-cabin models, but the 39MY and the 43MY both have very decent space inside and the owners seem to like them very much. The slightly earlier 453s are huge, but visibility aft sucks, IMO. Not unworkable, but I didn't care for that.

The previous -- late '90s, maybe early 2000s -- 46MY looks equally huge, slightly more traditional in styling, and may offer better aft visibility, although I haven't been on one. One of the club members owns one, seems to be happy with it. I think there was a similar 41MY, too. They made a cockpit/aft-cabin model sometime, 422 CPMY I think; not many made, so not sure how many (if any) might be available at any given time.

Not meant as recommendations; just observations...

-Chris
Old 01-23-2016, 01:12 AM   #35

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
I probably should get a 15 yard penalty for "taunting" but I just can't help it!

My boat's brochure shows her pulling skiiers. She sleeps 7 and has a double sink galley w/ 4 burner range, full sized oven, microwave, flybridge, stand up hot water shower, generator, air conditioning and even a chest freezer. Jewelry boaters consider our $18,000, 40 year old boat is ugly and antiquated but we don't care 'cause we can do what' y'all do on substantially less than 1/10th the budget, not to mention annual maintenance and insurance. Here's a few examples:
One More Time Around: Big Duck Goes Back to Lake Powell 2015
One More Time Around: Florida 2015 - Big Duck Gets Salty
One More Time Around: Houseboat - 2,000 Miles to Lake Powell
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:21 AM   #36
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
My next boat - Need Recommendations

Slight thread jack

Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1453533617.274597.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  52.5 KB

Glad to see you posted Jeff, I had lost track of the shortcut to your blog. Got it now

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43
I just went through a similar search, and I ended up with a 43 Mikelson. (Actually, I bought a one-off Mikelson with an extended flybridge roof, but it's the same hull as the 43).

My boat is a 2003 and it shows no signs of window leaks, despite torrential rains in my area in late fall/early winter.

The boat meets most of your criteria, though the second head is the "day head" that's accessed from the cockpit. I'm impressed with the systems and installation on my boat, though that is no doubt partly due to excellent maintenance by the prior owner.

PM me if you have any questions about the Mikelson.
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #38

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Jeffnick,

Thanks for posting the story of you Florida trip. Good read!
Love your comments about running aground and big wakes.

Hope many more such trips are in your future.
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #39
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
In that price range and size (fudge up to 53', IMO) and configuration you would do well to look at Hatteras "Motoryachts". They might not all get you the 20kts, but I will tell you having cruised and lived on one full time for several years you will seldom want that speed. As years went on we became more and more grateful we bought a Hatteras. They are still supported and full documentation is available for each boat, by hull number. The spin off of their parts department, Sam's Marine, is an absolute treasure, not just for parts but institutional knowledge and a superb owner's forum.

Be careful of 7-10 year old boats. That is right at the lifespan of many systems, and beyond it if the boat has not been maintained. You get a lot of boats being sold because the owner can't afford the bills to repair/replace/upgrade. I'd rather have an older boat where all that has been done by a meticulous prior owner or two. Not that the boat won't constantly have its hand out anyway... they all do if you have high standards for seaworthiness and comfort and cosmetics.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #40
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
George

Were any aft cabin Hats of the era you suggest made without DD 2 strokes?

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote