My new pride and Joy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason Steele

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
40' Blue Sea Flybridge Cruiser
Hi members, thought I would post my new pride and Joy. It’s a Blue Seas, originally it was a 36 foot but was professionally extended to 40 foot. She has a 120hp Ford lees single screw with a bow thruster. I’ve admired this boat for several years and feel blessed to own her. She is in excellent condition. Big jump from my old timber cruiser which was a converted work boat also 40’

Attachments

• F0973B50-952A-41A6-A884-35253B7B65AC.jpg
    F0973B50-952A-41A6-A884-35253B7B65AC.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 9BAAC15E-E787-44AF-951C-CAC89F8D14C1.jpg
    9BAAC15E-E787-44AF-951C-CAC89F8D14C1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 174
Enjoy!

Looks like you have her in a nice location!

Congratulations on your new boat! Looks to be a very nice boat to cruise on.

Ted

She's a beauty! Congratulations. Hope you get many years of enjoyment from her.

Very nice! Love the Europa style, too. Enjoy it!

Similar in many ways to our Happy Clown, 45' originally. Marketed as a Heritage 45, built by CHB in Taiwan.

I like her lines. I'd like to see more photos of her. Interior shots, external shots, etc.

The extension is so well done it looks like it was always 40ft.
Great looking boat, maybe some Harvey Halvorsen in the design, especially the IG like bow.

Congratulations!

Extended to 40, somebody must have loved that boat! Sounds like you already do too. Good luck with your new beauty!

Similar in many ways to our Happy Clown, 45' originally. Marketed as a Heritage 45, built by CHB in Taiwan.

Yes L believe this was made in Taiwan as well, I’ve notice a few boats that carry very similar features coming from there.

The extension is so well done it looks like it was always 40ft.
Great looking boat, maybe some Harvey Halvorsen in the design, especially the IG like bow.
The extinction job is so good you cannot see any signs whatsoever that it was extended. All the teak was replaced in th cockpit so the extension is seamless..
I have old photos on the boat of them carrying out the work so I’ll post some pics.

I like her lines. I'd like to see more photos of her. Interior shots, external shots, etc.
Here are some inside shots. We are going to up date the interior as it’s a bit tired and dated. All the running gear is A1 so just the stuff you can see. She also needs a good cut and polish..

Attachments

• 54B30A1C-5A5E-4D9F-A629-C775248B08A7.jpg
    54B30A1C-5A5E-4D9F-A629-C775248B08A7.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 45F6F8BC-C1B9-41D9-A675-F814D235CA2C.jpg
    45F6F8BC-C1B9-41D9-A675-F814D235CA2C.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 67
  • B118CD4F-69FA-469D-9F95-C97B2325A44C.jpg
    B118CD4F-69FA-469D-9F95-C97B2325A44C.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 68
Here are some inside shots. We are going to up date the interior as it’s a bit tired and dated. All the running gear is A1 so just the stuff you can see. She also needs a good cut and polish..
So all new covers and clears, new diesel heater, all the lower level wood work is done, we just need to paint the fly bridge deck and do the wood work up there. Also we are getting some new mattresses made (latex ones I think) and new covers and cushions in the gallery.

Attachments

• 11CFD331-44C6-4A62-8D10-C8B5690CA155.jpg
    11CFD331-44C6-4A62-8D10-C8B5690CA155.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 71
  • E0AF1A14-8BFD-46ED-9214-2AE3DB91442C.jpg
    E0AF1A14-8BFD-46ED-9214-2AE3DB91442C.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 63
Nice cruiser Jason, and with a "single screw with a bow thruster" it is a perfect combination - proven by experts to be far superior to a twin diesel trawler :whistling:

Nice boat. Agree with Mako on the propulsion configuration.

What's the disposition of the prior wooden boat? I admire the woodys and the folks that own them, but I wonder at the prospects of selling one when it's time. What was your experience?

Nice boat. Agree with Mako on the propulsion configuration.

What's the disposition of the prior wooden boat? I admire the woodies and the folks that own them, but I wonder at the prospects of selling one when it's time. What was your experience?

I love to wooden boats too, I think they really do have a soul. My wooden boat was an ex harbour inspectors launch and was completely remodelled by a local doctor. At the time he spare no expense to sympathetically building in character for it's new life as a pleasure craft. The forward motor was moved to mid ship, a cabin and head/shower was put in and in was tastefully fitted out with hardwood. So we loved the boat however it had a very narrow beam and therefore lacked in accommodation for more that 2 and for more than two nights.
In Australia over the last few years the value of wooden boats have plummeted. I'm not saying all of them but I would suggest the re purposed ones. There is a market for them but it is limited that's all.
Personally I love em, you kind have to as I would say I've bought my boat several times over with the cost of the up keep. As with most boats I think you are more a custodian than an owner. in my view this is particularity the case with woodies. We sold ours within a week because we were realistic and we had purchased another boat. She still has a good life in her and as an ex work boat she had 2 inch Douglas Fur planks and is a very tough boat. As always there is more work to be done to her to bring her back to and keep her in top condition, but she was an honest boat.

Lovely Boat!

What a lovely boat. Excuse my ignorance - but how does one "extend" a fiberglass hull, deck, and the works? It seems like it would be more difficult and expensive than starting from scratch....

Sure came out great. Good luck and enjoy!

I don't know the details, but I had a piermate with a one of 50' sportfisher that was extended by 6' by a small, local yard. Done more or less by eyeball. Guy loved the boat, swore it was going to be his heirs' problem - and it was. Every time he got in a moderate quartering following sea, the hull torqued longitudinally. Strong quartering sea - it cracked and/or broke side windows in the saloon. I'm pretty sure there were other attendant problems.

Great looking boat, Jason.

He passed and the boat was eventually auctioned for much less than the used value of the Manns that powered it. I think the moral to the story is that it can be done competently - by qualified pros. But probably not cost effective to the owner who commisions the work.

In South Florida, boats are extended all the time. All the major yards do it. Boats in the under 50' size range up to boats in the 125' size range. Typical extension seems to be about 10% like the OP's.

I don't know the details, but I had a piermate with a one of 50' sportfisher that was extended by 6' by a small, local yard. Done more or less by eyeball. Guy loved the boat, swore it was going to be his heirs' problem - and it was. Every time he got in a moderate quartering following sea, the hull torqued longitudinally. Strong quartering sea - it cracked and/or broke side windows in the saloon. I'm pretty sure there were other attendant problems.

Great looking boat, Jason.

He passed and the boat was eventually auctioned for much less than the used value of the Manns that powered it. I think the moral to the story is that it can be done competently - by qualified pros. But probably not cost effective to the owner who commisions the work.

The Extension was done about 15-20 years ago and at survey you could not see where the extension was done from the inside or outside. No cracks seams or anything. Interestingly the Surveyor stated at sea trial that the hull speed had increased with the increased LOA. He had recently surveyed 2 other Blue Seas 36' in the last month or so. He suggested it didn't to bury its bum like the other 36'.

Hilarious! Just realized I used the phrase "cost effective" in a paragraph about rec boats.

Very interesting the side by side comparison. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom