Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #21
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Al,

My trawler style boat is on the inside, my BIL's is on the outside and we boat with a much larger boat that ours and nobody mentions anything about my boat is bigger than yours. Everyone enjoys it on the water.

I ride a bike too and even those that love Harley's or are die-hearts do not look down on those that ride Yamaha, Honda or a Kawasaki. As long as you can get out and ride is all that matters.

The one thing though, we are all proud of what we have or can afford. Take this forum for what it is, opinionated proud owners who have something in common and who are willing to share their collective knowledge.

Glad to be here!
Elwin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-16 11.24.38.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	14633  

Old 12-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Does anyone know what the general boat makeup of this forum population is?

Are there more 40 footers and up??? ...or not???

Around 40 feet is where a fully loaded trawler starts to get to that 30,000 number. Most of the 36's and 40's dry weights I've looked up were in the twenties...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Murray
Centigrade is not metric. Metric refers to weights and measures. Degrees Rankin or Kelvin are as close to temperature metric use as one can get based upon the world's elite trying to reach absolute 0 and super conductivity ranking. When do you expect lat and lon to go "metric?" Or points of the compass? Or time? Me thinks a group of politicians who could'nt count above their fingers are at the root of this charade.

Peter B
For us big, small and mid sized toy and trawler boat lovers displacement is still recorded in tons. Like a language, being weights and measures bilingual comes in pretty handy. BTW, when Ausatralia kicked out their English systems why did they not start driving on the right side?

Al
Too bad about the owner's of BH. They have had a rough ride the past few years.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Did somebody say make up?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #25
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
If I have made some member feel like they donít be long and/or the boat is to small, brand or model, I apologies. If we did not live on the Eagle, we would have a much smaller boat, in the 30 ft range that could be trailer. I do not enjoy taking the Eagle out as my comfort range is in the under 30 ft range.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #26
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I would make a small wager, to be paid by the loser buying drinks for 4 at the Bar Harbor restaraunt in Ketchikan, that most of the vessels represented on this forum weigh more than 30,000 pounds when geared up.
30,000 1975 pounds or 2001 pounds. A fiberglass boat built in 1970's of size X may well weigh over 30k pounds but that same boat built in 2001 would weigh a lot less. Engines and propulsion systems weigh way less for a lot more HP in 2001 than 1975. Hull thickness has gotten a lot thinner with a lot more straight than in 1970's. Designers consider weight a lot more now than in the 70's.

Besides all that no matter how big your boat is just go someplace and get on the near the face dock of a large marina that is near the ocean. Your boat will be the size of someones dinghy with in a few day. Come to Beaufort NC and spend some time at the Beaufort City Docks. That will cure you. Watching a vessel take on 3800 gals of diesel just to top off makes most of the folks here seem like pikers. Common happening in Beaufort.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #27
Guru

City: Trenton
"The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure"

From a friend of mine with a lot of water under his 27' long keel.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #28

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
+1

Hey Jeff, if you know of another dog like Merlin available let me know. Love that dog.
I'll do a separate post with info, but in the meantime here's a little more about him.

Merlin and I visited a lady at St Francis who had been in the hospital for a quite while. As you know, part of our job is to provide canine therapy, another part is to sometimes offer the dog as a liaison and then to just visit with the person in the bed.

Merlin was warmly welcomed, and petting ensued, but soon her talking overtook the petting and as the patient went on and on, Merlin laid down at my feet. "We" listened for quite a spell, with the lady becoming teary eyed on and off while offering things about her life, family and condition.

At one point, the lady in the bed became so nostalgically emotional that she actually began crying aloud. At this point, Merlin jumped to his feet and promptly put his chin on her hand at the edge of the hospital bed. The lady sparkled up a smile I'll never forget.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #29
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Thumbs up

bubu
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ya, ya, ya.....Not MY problem that the astronomer on Mercury has Venus envy....Who the hell cares WHAT size their boat is or for that matter what size anybody elses boat is? I certainly don't. You've got a boat. You're thinking of getting a boat. Your thinking of getting a bigger/smaller/another boat. You just like boats. You're welcome here as far as I'm concerned. If I've misinterpreted this fact then I'M in the wrong forum!!!!!!!
I think I've got the best vessel for me at this point in time. If you're opinion is otherwise, take a hike. I've got no use for you. If you think your anchor is the best, fair enough that's YOUR opinion from YOUR perspective and although I may comment on your opinion, that shouldn't make MY choice of anchor right or your choice of anchor wrong in the eyes of a third party observer. It's what works for each of us folks.
Right on RTF, that 45,000 KG (100,000 lb.more or less) vessel would be of little use to me here in the Great Lakes and the Trent Severn waterway but for those who have one, want one or in an area that requires one, all the best to them. We all belong on the forum we just need to use what information is useful to us and disregard that which does not apply and be able to know the difference between them.
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Are there more 40 footers and up??? ...or not???

Around 40 feet is where a fully loaded trawler starts to get to that 30,000 number. Most of the 36's and 40's dry weights I've looked up were in the twenties...
You could put up a poll for your second question if you wanted to.

Our boat's emtpy weight is averaged as 28,000 pounds. Of course this will vary with the number of engines, the presence of a generator, and so on. When our boat was on the Travelift this past spring with full water tanks but only half fuel I asked the operator for the weight and he read it off as a bit over 30,000 pounds.

Between mid-1973 and 1988 American Marine used Howard Abbey's original molds for the GB36 and GB42. In the beginning, the boats' hulls were undoubtedly overbuilt, fiberglass being a relatively new material for the manufacturing of larger boat hulls.

The molds for the GB36 and GB42 were replaced in 1988 at which time both boats got a wee bit wider, a wee bit longer, and significantly taller. However I would not be surprised to learn that a twin-engine GB36 made with the new molds is lighter than our twin-engine boat, particularly since ours was among the first batch of fiberglass boats American Marine and Howard Abbey made.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #31
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
That's the 'good news - bad news' for most FRP boats built in the 70's and early 80's. Fiberglass was cheap and relatively unknown how far it could be pushed. Most of our older hulls are built much stronger (and heavier) than needed. Not a huge deal on a trawler operated at displacement speeds though.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #32
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Well, good onya Murray, maybe we can get these Yanks up to speed then eh? However....even Canada has not gone all the way. Don't you still use miles, gallons, and miles per hour etc...?
Actually we measure liquids - fuel etc. - in litres, distance in kilometres, speed in kilometres per hour, and fuel consumption in litres per 100 kilometres. On land.

On the water, however, boat lengths are usually by the foot, depths (although this varies by user) by foot, distance by nautical miles, and speed by knots.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

It's the UK that has the mix and match measurement system. They sell fuel by the litre and measures roads by the mile.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Well, OK, so I'm also on the fringe in that category, but if we start a thread on "My boat is uglier than yours", I've got a fighting chance.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #35
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Well, OK, so I'm also on the fringe in that category, but if we start a thread on "My boat is uglier than yours", I've got a fighting chance.
No you don't! I have claimed that for over 15 years!
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Or maybe taller?

I directed a film shoot on the USS Peleliu a number of years go and the captain of the ship was very proud when he informed me that while the Peleliu and her sister LHAs were not the biggest ships in the US Navy, they were the tallest.

So you would be in good company.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
That's the 'good news - bad news' for most FRP boats built in the 70's and early 80's. Fiberglass was cheap and relatively unknown how far it could be pushed. Most of our older hulls are built much stronger (and heavier) than needed. Not a huge deal on a trawler operated at displacement speeds though.
In all due respect... Pardon me, SS!! Having been on/off the water for 60 years, if I may say... 70' and 80's overbuilt FRP ain't no bad news. But rather their build is actually real good news! Cause, the builders such as Tollycraft, Chris Craft, Hatteras, Bertram, and many others in that era actually built boats that can last a century or longer if properly maintained. Extra hp and fuel to push that weight is minimal in comparison to the boat's exceptional longevity, 24/7 safety factors, and consistent ease of maintenance. I feel right at home and real secure knowing that our 1977 Tolly's hull will take any pounding it could receive and there are few dead heads that might faze her at all. After any seafaring altercation, short of dead-on hitting a big rock while on high plane, she'll keep us smiling as I pilot her back to dock. Yeah she's a bit heavy with 1.25Ē +/- FG bottom thickness all the way alongside her keel and well upwards into her bow stem... but, after all, I do like firm meat on my gals! lol
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #38
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
No you don't! I have claimed that for over 15 years!

Not hardly. The RW PH 58 is a salty looking vessel. At least IMHO.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #39
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
"As Tom said, this isn't Small Boat Forum. The boats most of us have range from 30,000 to over 100,000 pounds with a fair amount of windage. What works for a fellow with a Grady White sportfish boat or a little Marben cruiser is of no relevance to me or Tom or anyone with similar or larger, heavier boats. I daresay Carl (Delfin) would not have a whole lot of success trying to get his boat to safety in the midst of stormy weather with a 9.9 hp outboard mounted on his stern.
Even IF this was the source, read the first sentence again. Marin did not say "This is not a small boat forum..." He said this is "This is not Small Boat Forum." Which is referring to a different forum specifically for small boats. No one here as far as I can tell is prejudiced towards smaller trawlers.
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

Thank you Darren.