Old 11-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
My Anchor "Test"

So here we were cruising south from CT to FL, when we meet another couple heading south that turned out to be a friend of a friend. We asked if they would like to cruise their 36' trawler with us. They said they would enjoy that but that they had just had a really bad anchoring experience on the Alligator River. They had set their anchor, (a CQR knock off), went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night on the shore pounding on tree stumps. They were towed off the next morning, hauled the boat, (no damage) but were now afraid to anchor.

They decided to go to marinas for the rest of the trip although they admitted it would be a financial hardship for them. I felt bad for them, and sweet guy that I am, invited them to raft with us on the hook for the balance of the trip. And so they did, about 15 times.

We have a 60# Manson Supreme, and it held us both---our 46' GB Europa, and their 36' trawler. We had winds as high as 35 - 40 mph twice and some rough chop included. We did several 180s and anchored in some creeks with 3 kts of current. I used 6 or 7 to one scope with all chain. I took bearings and used Drag Queen. We never moved once. Gotta love my anchor and the shackle, even though it's the wrong one. Howard

hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Obviously no infamous Chesapeake mud in your travels...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Did you go over with them how to properly anchor a boat? Proper scope and setting the anchor by backing down on it? How to set an anchor drag alarm?

It was nice of you to let them raft up but if they are ever going to be independent they will have to learn how to properly anchor their boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Guru

Rwidman, Sure did give them the full lesson, and, they got to observe the technique 15 times. Now they just need to get the right anchor!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Guru

Psneeld,
I anchor in the Chesapeake often enough to know to bring my own bottom with me from CT.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
I hear about people dragging all the time. My question is how in world does anyone get any sleep without setting an anchor alarm? sometimes I set two. Most of the time I sleep in the V-berth so I can hear wind as it picks up. Plus its cooler up there too. I still dont get it. I completely understand dragging. Anybody can get a bad break and anchor in grass or a tree top preventing the anchor setting. Everybody has their own technique setting the hook but not having an anchor/ drag alarm is total crazy.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Psneeld,
I anchor in the Chesapeake often enough to know to bring my own bottom with me from CT.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Rwidman, Sure did give them the full lesson, and, they got to observe the technique 15 times. Now they just need to get the right anchor!
The right anchor???
Discuss.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
It is amazing how many people don't know how to anchor.

Years ago, I linked up with a friend's yacht club cruise in Maine. We were all supposed to gather at Wreck Island in the Merchants Row area for a lobster bake. We were one of the first to anchor. The yachties all sailed off of moorings in Marblehead, Mass and some had never anchored before.

Later that day, I saw a guy with a new Sabre 42' sailboat trying to get his anchor to hold near us. From the angle of his rode, it looked like he only had a 2:1 scope out in 35' deep water. I asked my wife, can I go over and help him. She advised not to as we were guests of the group and didn't want to seem pushy.

Well after 4-5 tries I heard him yell something about the windlass giving up. So I said, I have to go help. I cranked up the ob and dinghied over. He said that the windlass just gave out, he had the anchor down, but it wouldn't hold. I said ok, just motor over and drag the anchor to where he wanted to drop it.

When we got there I said, let's pay out manually all of the rode you have on board which was maybe 200'; he had maybe 75' out at that point. He did so and it grabbed. Plus we reset the windlass circuit breaker and all was well after that.

We were all newbies once.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnawake View Post
I hear about people dragging all the time. My question is how in world does anyone get any sleep without setting an anchor alarm? sometimes I set two. Most of the time I sleep in the V-berth so I can hear wind as it picks up. Plus its cooler up there too. I still dont get it. I completely understand dragging. Anybody can get a bad break and anchor in grass or a tree top preventing the anchor setting. Everybody has their own technique setting the hook but not having an anchor/ drag alarm is total crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor drag1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	34805  
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
That looks like my Polar navy program used on my laptop. That track looks horrible. The wind must have been really blowing hard. That also looks like a pier you got real close to. Yikes !!
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
What type of knock off was it

Also did ask them about the details of there anchoring

I am sure after the 15th time they had to of started gettting comfort in proper anchoring
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #13
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Smile

Wasn't the CQR originally developed to hold down dirigibles CQR is supposed to mean secure. Maybe you have to stake it down.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:51 AM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The only time I set an active anchor alarm - low water - is when the winds are strong (+20kts) or predicted to be so. This is maybe 10% of the time. If winds above 30kts an active alert watch person is common for us with correct instruments functioning.

When winds are not strong, I will always set a mark and boundary on the plotter and able to see if we have dragged - once I fire up the plotter.

In PNW tidal surge areas where 12 feet is common and 18 not unusual a close eye on bottom topography is required prior to setting the anchor.

Good anchor, rode and - knock on wood - following anchor protocol 101 more than makes up for an electric tell tale IMHO.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #15
FF
Guru

> We have a 60# <

SIZE MATTERS!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #16
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
Wasn't the CQR originally developed to hold down dirigibles CQR is supposed to mean secure. Maybe you have to stake it down.
SkipperDude, where have you been. Missed you.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnawake View Post
That looks like my Polar navy program used on my laptop. That track looks horrible. The wind must have been really blowing hard. That also looks like a pier you got real close to. Yikes !!
That's it, truth be told I probably would have held on the 45# delta if I would have had enough chain/rode out. I am always learning. When the wind picked up I should have put out another 40-50 feet of chain. I was only in 7-10 feet of water and fairly close quarters. When we drug in the middle of the night I was going to head for a marina but the admiral vetoed that Idea and said we are picking up the private mooring ball just 200 feet behind us. Its good to have smarter crew on board
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #18
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I always set all my alarms when anchoring. Radar proximity, gps boundary and shallow water. And I use a stupidly large Danforth, around 100 lbs. IIRC. No chain on my sporty, all chain on the trawler. The master stateroom is below on my sporty, the trawler has a very comfortable double pilot berth in the pilot house making it easy to look up occasionally at your surroundings. I like that when anchoring.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I always set all my alarms when anchoring. Radar proximity, gps boundary and shallow water. .
You run all your alarms off your inverter bank?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #20
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
It is amazing how many people don't know how to anchor.

Years ago, I linked up with a friend's yacht club cruise in Maine. We were all supposed to gather at Wreck Island in the Merchants Row area for a lobster bake. We were one of the first to anchor. The yachties all sailed off of moorings in Marblehead, Mass and some had never anchored before.

Later that day, I saw a guy with a new Sabre 42' sailboat trying to get his anchor to hold near us. From the angle of his rode, it looked like he only had a 2:1 scope out in 35' deep water. I asked my wife, can I go over and help him. She advised not to as we were guests of the group and didn't want to seem pushy.

Well after 4-5 tries I heard him yell something about the windlass giving up. So I said, I have to go help. I cranked up the ob and dinghied over. He said that the windlass just gave out, he had the anchor down, but it wouldn't hold. I said ok, just motor over and drag the anchor to where he wanted to drop it.

When we got there I said, let's pay out manually all of the rode you have on board which was maybe 200'; he had maybe 75' out at that point. He did so and it grabbed. Plus we reset the windlass circuit breaker and all was well after that.

We were all newbies once.

David

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote