is my anchor swivel installed correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lowcountry

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Endeavour
Vessel Make
'87 Island Gypsy
The guy on the boat next door thinks the swivel shouldn't be connected directly to the anchor. Thinks a shackle should be in between.
The swivel does occasionally bind to the anchor--kind of like a pocket knife a quarter of the way open.
img_567159_0_fb86f2f23a0c8f7e82bb1435cfcea019.jpg

I agree if you use the swivel.
But I'd throw it away.

I agree if you use the swivel.
But I'd throw it away.

Throw the swivel away? The marina store had a similar shackle to the existing one. I already decided to remove the swivel(temporarily) and just use the 2 shackles.

I agree with your neighbour.
Why do you have a swivel? Does it make a difference? Is it fixing a twisted chain issue? Did it come with the boat or did you fit it?
I have my doubts about those shiny ss "anchor connectors". That it binds, and the jaws don`t look entirely straight, should be concerns. If you want/need one, a good old fashioned "figure of 8" galvanized one might be better.

Never had a need for a swivel and would never use one. A "proper" anchor shouldn't need one either.

What kind of anchor are you using?

My anchor at times is difficult to get to go into the anchor roller right side up. I don't have a swivel but would love a solution.

Hang on a minute.

Do you have a rope rode, with some chain? If so, then a swivel is a good idea. Otherwise you or your crew will end up with a very sore lower back.

My anchor was hard to swivel correctly on retrieval sometimes.

So I added a galvanized, oversized swivel with an extra shackle so it cant be stressed sideways.

All the naysayers on swivels can have tbeir say, but like any system on a boat...a thorough understanding how it works, its strengths and liabilities and maintain it properly....and it is no more a weak link than most captains are.

My anchor was hard to swivel correctly on retrieval sometimes.

So I added a galvanized, oversized swivel with an extra shackle so it cant be stressed sideways.

All the naysayers on swivels can have tbeir say, but like any system on a boat...a thorough understanding how it works, its strengths and liabilities and maintain it properly....and it is no more a weak link than most captains are.

I agree :thumb:

I need a swivel to right the anchor at the roller. The ultra anchor people make a unit that does that. It is also a ball and socket type which alleviates many of the side stress issues that some swivels have. I see pros and cons of the swivel and the deciding factor for my set up is is the flip factor.

I think having a self-launching anchor roller is helpful in this regard.

img_567215_0_cc0fe5293921713371f5cbb08a084604.jpg

Last edited:
Might be scare mongering, but I've seen enough photo's of snapped & cracked stainless steel rode hardware...the problem being, you have no idea it's about to fail because there are no outward signs of impending doom. Much prefer the unsightly, haggard, bent galvanized versions that you replace out of embarrassment long before they fail in use.

Last edited:
The swivel came with the boat.
Lewmar 66lb claw anchor
80' of chain, then rode.

Removed the swivel and just have a single shackle between the anchor and chain. Plenty of movement for side load. I think all is well.

EDIT--Even with the swivel, I had issues aligning the anchor onto the rollers, so I probably won't miss it much.

Last edited:
30' (I've always used chain = the length of the boat when using nylon rode)

So when you have the rope in and you get to the chain, how do you make sure that the chain is aligned in the gypsy so that the anchor comes in right? Other than letting it back out and twisting it manually?

I have an old school looking galvy swivel in my set up too, I have no problem with it. I am all chain and wouldn't be but for the fact it would be a whole lot of work to switch back to rope as the boat was originally set up for. Apparently a different winch was put on at some point to run all chain, and the fittings and tubes thru the deck wont allow any thing bigger than the chain to run thru them, no shackles or thimbles, nada.

I need a swivel to right the anchor at the roller. The ultra anchor people make a unit that does that. It is also a ball and socket type which alleviates many of the side stress issues that some swivels have. I see pros and cons of the swivel and the deciding factor for my set up is is the flip factor.

Yep. My Ultra Flip Swivel is stronger than the chain on side loads and insures that the anchor comes up in the correct position every time, which was a 75% - 25% proposition before installation. Complaints about swivels seem to center around cheap metallurgy, and the reality that they serve no particular purpose when it comes to straightening out the anchor as it comes aboard.

Yep. My Ultra Flip Swivel is stronger than the chain on side loads and insures that the anchor comes up in the correct position every time, which was a 75% - 25% proposition before installation. Complaints about swivels seem to center around cheap metallurgy, and the reality that they serve no particular purpose when it comes to straightening out the anchor as it comes aboard.

Maybe so, but their 'Engrish' doesn't instill much confidence...

Well known swivel, a small part in complete anchoring system, but big factor in success of the whole anchor roll up process. Our unique design assures your boat´s no damage, safe anchor´s operation and easy recovering on the bow roller.

https://www.ultramarine-anchors.com/flip-swivel-hook

Grooved rollers.
Chain follows groove, anchor comes up straight 99% of the time.

I have no swivel and anchor daily.

Last edited:
I have a swivel. It came with the boat .Not sure if I need it or not but the anchor always lands right .
I have combination line/chain and what I think is a homemade anchor .

Attachments

• IMG_2628.JPG
    IMG_2628.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I just had a machine shop cut a groove in my stainless roller....

This winter's trip I will see if the grooved roller helps as much as it is supposed to.

The swivel came with the boat.
Lewmar 66lb claw anchor
80' of chain, then rode.

Removed the swivel and just have a single shackle between the anchor and chain. Plenty of movement for side load. I think all is well.

EDIT--Even with the swivel, I had issues aligning the anchor onto the rollers, so I probably won't miss it much.

This was what I found also. A swivel came with the boat. I retained it when I bought a S-Sarca anchor to replace the hopeless CQR, but as so many on here dismissed the swivel as not only unnecessary by a potential source of failure, when I end for ended the chain, I left it off. They were right. I found that if the chain runs straight off the gypsy to the anchor with the anchor and chain aligned with no twists, with a horizontal gypsy anyway, and all chain, it tends to come up the right way about 4 times out of 5 approximately, and it is easy to tap it round to the correct orientation with a boathook on the 20% of times it doesn't.
The swivel therefore appears to be the answer to a non-existent problem for most. But that might not hold for the vertical gypsy set-ups, or mixed rodes. :)

Grooved rollers.
Chain follows groove, anchor comes up straight 99% of the time.

I have no swivel and anchor daily.

Oh yeah. Shoulda added that. The grooved roller certainly seems to help in keeping that proper chain orientation. :D

The swivel therefore appears to be the answer to a non-existent problem for most.

Last year I got a new heavier anchor no swivel. It worked OK, aligning and getting it turned without swivel proved cumbersome at times. I got a new stout swivel from Hopcar and problems solved.

As noted by Delfin, not all swivels are created equal. Just like boats, pulpits, bow rollers and anchors.

Greetings,
Mr. PM. Do I detect a lack of "locking wire" around that shackle pin on the extreme right of your picture?

I dont like that installation because side load as the tide turns tend to spread the swivel apart. IMO it is not designed for strain in that direction. having bent one anchor in a storm I appreciate that the loads can come from many directions.

Back
Top Bottom