Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
bshillam's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 471
I am not all that interested in California as there aren't too many places to get to at 6-7 knots along the coastline. I have also lived in CA and didn't find it all to my liking. We'd really like to find somewhere where we could do some island hopping or some good gunk holing at displacement speeds.
The suggestions about Australia, New Zealand, Greece and Italy have me thinking . I was looking at what cruising was north of Australia - it's funny I was just reading about a couple that have stuck around Thailand for the last three years because of the water and people.
We have a boy still in school so that would be very important to us over the next five to ten years. Probably land bound until he's either graduating from HS or home school while traveling. We'll be at least marina bound (possible live a boards) than looking towards semi retirement.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Bringing the love of wood and water together, we create something you will treasure from the day you first row, sail, or power.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #42
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
I drove the Dalmatian coast some time ago and it was beautiful and uncrowned. I don't know what the political situation is like but I perhaps you would like to investigate the Split Croatia area.
__________________

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #43
Guru
 
READY2GO's Avatar
 
City: Marathon, Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
I am not all that interested in California as there aren't too many places to get to at 6-7 knots along the coastline. I have also lived in CA and didn't find it all to my liking. We'd really like to find somewhere where we could do some island hopping or some good gunk holing at displacement speeds.
The suggestions about Australia, New Zealand, Greece and Italy have me thinking . I was looking at what cruising was north of Australia - it's funny I was just reading about a couple that have stuck around Thailand for the last three years because of the water and people.
We have a boy still in school so that would be very important to us over the next five to ten years. Probably land bound until he's either graduating from HS or home school while traveling. We'll be at least marina bound (possible live a boards) than looking towards semi retirement.
Think about south Florida. You have all of the Keys, the Dry Tortugas, Ten Thousand Islands area, and the Bahamas. You can spend years in this area. And when you are tired of that you can head up the east coast to the Chesapeake, When tired of that you can do the loop. So many places to go and so little time.
__________________
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." Mark Twain

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #44
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Think about south Florida. You have all of the Keys, the Dry Tortugas, Ten Thousand Islands area, and the Bahamas. You can spend years in this area. And when you are tired of that you can head up the east coast to the Chesapeake, When tired of that you can do the loop. So many places to go and so little time.
Florida is mostly nice from mid October to mid May. July through September is almost intolerable, even for natives. Many Floridians head up into the mountains in the Carolina's for those months. We leave in mid May and go to northwest Michigan where it is cool and dry until mid October. Where we live, almost 50% of the town disappears in the summer. Many are snow birders returning north and the others are Floridians trying to avoid the heat, 100% humidity and the tropical storms.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #45
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Florida is mostly nice from mid October to mid May. July through September is almost intolerable, even for natives. Many Floridians head up into the mountains in the Carolina's for those months. We leave in mid May and go to northwest Michigan where it is cool and dry until mid October. Where we live, almost 50% of the town disappears in the summer. Many are snow birders returning north and the others are Floridians trying to avoid the heat, 100% humidity and the tropical storms.
Thanks!!!

This is why I could snowbird but not live there.

Finding a place that is warm in the winter is pretty easy, just head south.

Finding a place that is warm in the winter, and not hot in the summer is much harder.

San Diego has an average high of 75 in the summer and 65 in the winter. This is as far as I am concerned near perfect.

Marathon Florida for example has an average high of 91 in the summer and 75 in the winter.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #46
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Finding a place that is warm in the winter, and not hot in the summer is much harder.

San Diego has an average high of 75 in the summer and 65 in the winter. This is as far as I am concerned near perfect.

Marathon Florida for example has an average high of 91 in the summer and 75 in the winter.
Florida's humidity is more of a problem than the heat. Near 100% for almost 3 months. You walk outside and you start dripping.

San Diego and Southern Cali are very nice but high rent, high density and poor infrastructure in most places.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Tunajoe's Avatar
 
City: Ventura
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
???

North to So Cal, South to Baja and the sea of Cortez and the mainland.

That is like asking the same of Florida.. Except for the Bahamas.

HOLLYWOOD
Don't forget all the Channel Islands; Incredible cruising.
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #48
Hospitality Officer
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
City: Pittwater
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,557
OK, you find your perfect weather and superb waterway to play in.

However, say it comes at the cost of souless roads packed with fast food outlets, gated communities where the well off feel safe from their fellow citizens, where there are no go zones after dark.

For me I will gladly swap a month or two of less than perfect weather and superb waterways, if my Shangri-La was populated with inhabitants with a certain joie de vie, who felt no need for guns or gated communities.

A community that takes time to appreciate good food and where the inhabitants don't' mind that their friends may have a different view of life from them.

After all there is something good for the soul about feeling the rain on your face from time to time, to watching the seasons change.

No, you can keep your 365 days of perfect weather, sounds a bit like that film with Jim Carey whose life was perfect, only for him to realise the whole thing was a TV soap opera, a kind of living hell.

And you know what there are places like that
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #49
TF Site Team
 
dwhatty's Avatar
 
City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
OK, you find your perfect weather and superb waterway to play in.

However, say it comes at the cost of souless roads packed with fast food outlets, gated communities where the well off feel safe from their fellow citizens, where there are no go zones after dark.

For me I will gladly swap a month or two of less than perfect weather and superb waterways, if my Shangri-La was populated with inhabitants with a certain joie de vie, who felt no need for guns or gated communities.

A community that takes time to appreciate good food and where the inhabitants don't' mind that their friends may have a different view of life from them.

After all there is something good for the soul about feeling the rain on your face from time to time, to watching the seasons change.

No, you can keep your 365 days of perfect weather, sounds a bit like that film with Jim Carey whose life was perfect, only for him to realise the whole thing was a TV soap opera, a kind of living hell.

And you know what there are places like that
__________________
David Hawkins
Deer Isle, Maine
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #50
Guru
 
drb1025's Avatar
 
City: Bellevue, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I just looked it up. Average water temperature of Puget Sound in July is 53 degrees f.

And I was out in the Sound yesterday and noticed the water temperature of 50 degrees. That was a little warmer than I expected. During the freezing temps a couple weeks ago, the water temp was 47 at the marina.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #51
TF Site Team
 
Bay Pelican's Avatar
 
City: Chicago, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,787
My personal opinion is that there are four great cruising areas in the United States and Canada: PNW, Florida/Bahamas with storage in Georgia to avoid high insurance, the Chesapeake with storage in Virginia to avoid the Maryland use tax, and the Canadian Maritimes/Maine. None of these are perfect and like a boat you must select your compromises.
__________________
Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #52
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
My personal opinion is that there are four great cruising areas in the United States and Canada: PNW, Florida/Bahamas with storage in Georgia to avoid high insurance, the Chesapeake with storage in Virginia to avoid the Maryland use tax, and the Canadian Maritimes/Maine. None of these are perfect and like a boat you must select your compromises.
Why have you omitted the Great Lakes?
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:43 AM   #53
Guru
 
Scary's Avatar
 
City: Walnut Grove Ca
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunajoe View Post
Don't forget all the Channel Islands; Incredible cruising.
+1 you'd never think Southern Ca was anywhere near.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #54
TF Site Team
 
Bay Pelican's Avatar
 
City: Chicago, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Why have you omitted the Great Lakes?
Personal preference, distances are too large with few destinations. Georgian Bay and the 1000 Islands are great, been in both.

To put in perspective Lake Michigan is 300+ nm in length. The Michigan side (eastern side) has few natural harbors, while the Wisconsin Illinois side is shallow also with few harbors. What we call the PNW has a distance of 110 nm from Seattle to Vancouver. The Eastern Caribbean from Grenada to Antigua is just slightly larger than Lake Michigan. The Chesapeake Bay has a length of 190 nm. Florida is clearly larger by 50%.
__________________
Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #55
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Florida's humidity is more of a problem than the heat. Near 100% for almost 3 months. You walk outside and you start dripping.

Yes - humidity is the key.

For example, Darwin, NT Australia is 32C (90F) year round. There is no summer and winter. It is either "the dry" (May to October) or "the wet" (Nov to April)
In the dry it is a great place to be. During the wet, it is unbearable to most; People go "troppo" due to the unbearable 99% humidity.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Dswizzler's Avatar
 
City: LaPaz ,Mexico and the Sea of Cortez
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 215
Well after spending 23 years in the CA Delta and SF Bay area, I must say there are a ton of places to go out for the day, week or month without a problem to sit on the hook or tie up to a marina. Yes the taxes are high and that is the trade off. Weather is about as good as you can get. The Delta is warm for swimming in the summer and when the fog comes in the winter, it is a short run to the SF bay where the average temp seldom gets below 68 during the day. Covers at night are required, but that is ok.

In May we are heading down to Ensenada, Mx so glad to hear Hollywood found it safe. Our plan is to spend 6 months there before heading farther south with the CUBAR, so I can report on that area, but the move from the PNW to the BAY area might be an easy move south for you to start with. You'll find plenty of folks here in the bay and delta to show you around. If after a few years you run out of things to do here, you can always migrate south. Maybe we'll see you south of the border
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #57
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Growing up on the water in St.Petersburg, Fl

I really enjoy boating on the West coast of Florida but I can tell ya for the people that do not like high humidity this is not the place

My dirt house is in South Georgia just above Tallahassee, Florida and the humidity is much higher in South Georgia then in St Pete or Sarasota were we keep the boat

I continue to be amazed at all the short trips I can take in my area north to the panahandle or even up the Tom

and of course the islands
__________________

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012