Old 12-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I just returned last night from a trip to assist a buyer in the purchase of a Nordhavn in Mexico. It was a perfect 68-70 deg. in San Diego and in Ensenada. What we have considered that as a possible scenario is to keep a boat in Mexico and cruise part or parts of the year.
A 50' slip with a 46' boat is $ 430.00 per month in a high security newer marina in Ensenada.. it's about $ 700/900 for the same in San Diego. Keep the boat there and have Baja and So Cal at your disposal.. at reasonable rates.

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
That is something we are seriously considering.

That is also why I posted recently asking if the water was warm enough to swim.
Basically, no. There are a few small, shallow bays around that in the summer can get warm enough to swim if you like swimming in cold water.

One of the sessions in the Coast Guard Auxilliary boat in safety course the teach here is about hypothermia and its dangers. As I recall (we took the course a long time ago) the average survival time of someone who falls into Puget Sound/lower BC wearing street clothes is about 20 minutes. The water temperatures stay pretty consistent year round.

Windsurfers, surfers on the coast, snorkle and scuba divers all wear wetsuits or dry suits.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I just returned last night from a trip to assist a buyer in the purchase of a Nordhavn in Mexico. It was a perfect 68-70 deg. in San Diego and in Ensenada. What we have considered that as a possible scenario is to keep a boat in Mexico and cruise part or parts of the year.
A 50' slip with a 46' boat is $ 430.00 per month in a high security newer marina in Ensenada.. it's about $ 700/900 for the same in San Diego. Keep the boat there and have Baja and So Cal at your disposal.. at reasonable rates.

HOLLYWOOD
Yes, Cruiseport in Ensenada is half ther price of San Diego and the same climate.
My wife is scared of Mexico, but I looked at Cruiseport and even think there's an open area adjacent to the marina that we could potty the dogs easily.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
I just looked it up. Average water temperature of Puget Sound in July is 53 degrees f.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #25
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Well, here goes. We live in the hills and mountains of Tennessee and North Georgia. Town home in town and a cabin in the mountains. In July & August we sleep under a blanket in the mountains with never any A/C.

We move our boat to fun places mostly for winter usage. Usually too hot for comfortable cruising in the summers. Humidity can be almost unbearable in areas like the Chesapeake, Charleston, Savannah, and even Florida in July and August. Strangely the FL Keys are really the best part of Florida in the summer.

Because distances are so great, we have given up on the idea of cruising Moonstruck to Canada. We have just purchased a 27' H i-Lo travel trailer. We already had a great tow vehicle, so this was a rather inexpensive entry into RVing. For this coming summer we are planning to go to Maine, Nova Scotia, and loop over around the canal systems in Canada. (really just an excuse to get to Campbellford and stop by Doohers Bakery Dooher's Bakery in Campbellford, ON).

We can cover a lot of ground at 14-15 mpg. Then maybe next summer the PNW. A lot of options with that.
Don, we also have and still are to some extent considering a RV snowbird situation. Thats what my next door neighbor did for a decade.

He'd leave Alaska in early October and come back in early May. Winters would be exploring, with allot of time on the Gulf Coast.

Thats what I'm thinking about doing with our boat, or possibly a RV. I like the idea of doing that with the boat, but a RV is not out of the question at all. RVing gives you something a boat does not... A car when you get there, and the abiility to pull over for a dog potty break.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 12-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #26
Guru

City: gulf coast
West Coastal areas of fl often have a sea breeze absent in many other places. Ocean water being cooler than land results in highs rarely above Low 90s while inland ls hotter. No way around the humidity though.
After 15 years boating in west fl I don't regret our decision to relocate from Sf. Just don't expect to be happy with a sundacer type open boat.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #27
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Tax

I am working on a sailboat whose owner is an Alaskan. Last year bought a home in near Tacoma. HE SAYS HE WILL HAVE TO PAY ABOUT TEN PERCENT OF THE VALUE OF HIS BOAT IN TAXES to relocate it to Washington from California Same for motor Vehicles. Since Alaska has no sales tax, I guess Washington wants some?. When I brought my boat boat down to Cal from Oregon, California waived sales tax as the boat had been in used in Oregon for over a year. Keeping your boat in the Bay Area has the weather your looking for 60 deg winters, with some cruising into the delta and up and down the coast to Monterrey, Santa Cruise, Half Moon Bay and north to Bodega Bay. The variety of things to do here is unparalleled anywhere in the world. It's not the tropics, but it's unlimited fun. Hell you can dive,bike ,sail and ski all on the same day, maybe even take in a world class play that evening.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #28
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Any reason you Aussie haven't suggested Perth? Never been there but have heard it has a very Mediterranean climate.
We lived in Sydney for two years and then Perth two years and visited Adelaide and Brisbane.

I will take Perth hands down over any place in OZ and 99% of places in the US.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Yes, Cruiseport in Ensenada is half ther price of San Diego and the same climate.
My wife is scared of Mexico, but I looked at Cruiseport and even think there's an open area adjacent to the marina that we could potty the dogs easily.
We walked around downtown at night and never felt any issue, family's walking with kids is always a good sign. Saw many dogs on boats at cruiseport..last year when I did a delivery trip through there we had 2 big dogs aboard and absolutely no issues.
Security is tight, I wouldn't hesitate to leave a boat there.
Hollywood
Old 12-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Keeping your boat in the Bay Area has the weather your looking for 60 deg winters, with some cruising into the delta and up and down the coast to Monterrey, Santa Cruise, Half Moon Bay and north to Bodega Bay. The variety of things to do here is unparalleled anywhere in the world. It's not the tropics, but it's unlimited fun. Hell you can dive,bike ,sail and ski all on the same day, maybe even take in a world class play that evening.
And you don't have to live in the expensive bay area to enjoy sf bay and delta waters. My marina commute is 1:15, about the farthest I'd want to drive to be able to enjoy my boat on a regular basis. I'd like to move closer to within 30 minutes of the marina, but life is full of compromises on the path to happiness.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #31

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Does anyone have a comment on the Southern Adriatic or the Mediterranean between Naples and Palermo? What is cruising like there? I had to be on the Italian mainland a couple of weeks ago and the climate there at this time of the year seemed a lot like California. Very, very nice for November. I could get used to that food.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #32

City: Astoria
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
Perth is W.A. gets my vote too. Been lots of places all over the world. Still look back at Perth as the best climate. Good beer too.
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #33

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
So this last week the family vacationed in Hawaii and well - we loved it! Warm weather 80 ish, dry spent every morning enjoying our coffee and dinners on the lanai. Walked around in t-shirts and sandals. Every time I checked the weather back home I kind of felt lucky. (20 and snowing). So - to get our creative juices flowing, we're thinking about vacation property or the eye on something that leads us closer to an area we really are attracted to.
Our agenda or goal

Dry weather (or dryer, say 50-80 days of rain a year)
Warm year round (day time temps about mid 60s to 80s)
Lower humidity. (Nothing that feels like you are taking a shower as you step out of the door)
Good to great boating, ideally clear water

Thoughts?

Aside from "Good to great boating, ideally clear water" you perfectly described where I live in Colombia, South America (One hours drive outside of the city of Medellin, Colombia, which BTW has a nickname of "The City of Eternal Spring").

For "Good to great boating, ideally clear water" you're a short and inexpensive flight away from Santa Marta, Colombia where they just built a brand new marina. Santa Marta is on the Atlantic/Caribbean side of Colombia so you're within a reasonable distance to some of the most beautiful warm water cruising areas of the world, Aruba, Curacao to name a couple of them.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #34
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
Does anyone have a comment on the Southern Adriatic or the Mediterranean between Naples and Palermo? What is cruising like there? I had to be on the Italian mainland a couple of weeks ago and the climate there at this time of the year seemed a lot like California. Very, very nice for November. I could get used to that food.

My son has lived in Northern Italy for almost 2 years and says the climate is remarkably similar to California. He's been to France Germany and Greece but still prefers Italy.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:58 AM   #35
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
There is always some compromise.

Perth's climate is quite good and " Mediterranean" in nature, but there's not that much nearby for the trawler cruiser. I have lived there twice, and refused to move there again and took redundancy instead. Its closer to Singapore than other Australian cities of interest. Going from Perth down to the SW is great but that's where everyone goes and the traffic gets old real fast. Not cheap there anymore either.

Brisbane is great for 7-8 months of the year. The other months have hot and humid spells that are downright unpleasant. I tend to ski in the Northern Hemisphere for part of that period.

Sydney is a large and expensive city. Ok to visit etc... Melbourne is really nice, you actually get 4 seasons there. Its our most liveable city by far. But again not much for the trawler owner nearby. Leaving these cities aside, the north coast of NSW and some parts of the south coast of NSW are just about perfect. Somewhere like Coffs Harbour or Port Macquarie would be my choice. Close enough to Queensland to spend the season (May to September) on the Great Barrier Reef. Striking distance to Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia and other South Pacific destinations or even New Zealand. But those regional cites are in NSW, and the State has been mismanaged by both major political parties for living memory. I'm wary of relocating there because chickens will eventually come home to roost. But then, CA is probably in worse shape and people still seem to want to go there.

Pete's idea of the northern part of the South Island of New Zealand has a lot of merit. Parts of the Marlborough Sound look to be ideal but I have no first hand experience of it. Friends have built a house there (a Brit and a Canadian), they invite people to visit, but its off the beaten path and few do. Parts of the area have a bug season though. And although Australia is a very long way from other nice parts of the world, NZ is just that bit further away. Flights of up to 14 hours and 24 hours travel from home to destination are bad enough, but you have to add a few more hours and another stopover for NZ. Only an issue if you want to visit family or friends or have them visit you on a regular basis.

So I will stick with Brisbane until the kids are married and then contemplate other options. Even in the hot months there are some very pleasant and great boating days. I refuse to have aircon on the boat, a few fans will generally be enough. If the winds-a blowin a bit too strong, or its a particularity hot and muggy spell I will stay home in the aircon.

If you decide to come, bring your trawler. Not much to choose from here and they are overpriced for age and condition. The place is littered with sportfish boats though...
Old 12-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Kevin
Depending on your income level now while you are working and in retirement you may want to look closely at the state tax implications of moving from Alaska to either Washington State or California. The California taxes could be like having another boat to pay for.

In addition to the income tax, California has a personal property tax 1.2% of value, Washington State excise tax .5% of value.

Alaska does not have a sales tax. Did you pay sales tax on the Bayliner? Before you move your should be aware of whether the state you move to has a use tax for boats brought into the state -giving you a credit for the tax you paid. The credit in your case may be zero.

Good luck on a choice of a new home.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #37
FF
Guru

And where do you cruise, out into the Pacific for a joy ride?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #38
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Kevin
Depending on your income level now while you are working and in retirement you may want to look closely at the state tax implications of moving from Alaska to either Washington State or California. The California taxes could be like having another boat to pay for.

In addition to the income tax, California has a personal property tax 1.2% of value, Washington State excise tax .5% of value.

Alaska does not have a sales tax. Did you pay sales tax on the Bayliner? Before you move your should be aware of whether the state you move to has a use tax for boats brought into the state -giving you a credit for the tax you paid. The credit in your case may be zero.

Good luck on a choice of a new home.
Yes, Alaska is a tax haven.

Washington is a no income tax state, but they will want 7% of my boats ACV if I move there and keep the boat there.

If all I do is cruise, and if I keep moving, and if I don't own real property, taxes are for the most part avoidable. California is undefined as to exact length of time per year for property tax, and Washington has a max of 6 months before sales tax becomes due. I have no challenge paying a state property taxes to enjoy their waterways. I have a real challenge with Washingtons making me pay sales tax on a boat I have owned for years.

California would try to collect income tax at some point if I were "living" on the boat. Just having the boat in California permanently would make it subject to property tax only, but I'm not so worried about that.

Thanks for the post. While taxes are on my mind, they are something I'm prepared to deal with. One thing I am not prepared to deal with is being trapped in my Ice Castle in Alaska for 6 months out of the year. Few people know what it's like to be a water lover and see your lake turn to ice in October, then ice everywhere until late April.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 12-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #39
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
The Ionian Islands in Greece are a great cruising area. We spent a few weeks cruising up there this year. Nice climate, a little cooler than the Cyclades and less touristy.

I'm was told there are more bareboat charter boats here than anywhere else in the world, but it didn't seem overly crowded even in August. Not many trawler types, I only saw two, but plenty of protected anchorages and a scattering of casual beach bars.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

And where do you cruise, out into the Pacific for a joy ride?

???

North to So Cal, South to Baja and the sea of Cortez and the mainland.

That is like asking the same of Florida.. Except for the Bahamas.

HOLLYWOOD