Moving to upstate NY, take the Halvorsen with me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMWilsoniv

Vessel Name
Little Prince
Vessel Make
Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser
I have a Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser and am perplexed as to whether It would be feasible/practical to keep it on one of the finger lakes (very close) or lake Ontario (about 70 miles away). Any insights and or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Where in upstate NY are you moving to? Which lakes you're near, etc. will be a deciding factor, I think.

I would keep the boat if you like it. The finger lakes or Ontario will be great with that boat.

My new location will be a small farm due East of Ithaca and halfway between Binghamton and Syracuse. I've looked at the canal system and find it pretty confusing. I expected/hoped to find an assortment of marina options but, with a couple of exceptions, they seem limited to light craft and small sailboats. The GC32 is not a big boat, but it is heavy. If someone could recommend a book or a website that explains the canals and rivers to an outsider, it would be very helpful. Moving from the Chesapeake and Mid Atlantic region to a closed lake/canal system will require a mental reset.

In that area, you'd have a couple of options for the boat closer than Lake Ontario. You could keep it on Cayuga Lake, or near Brewerton and Oneida Lake. Either one puts you on the NY Canal system (which gives access to travel up to Lake Ontario or out to the Hudson River, etc.). Brewerton has more marina options, as well as boatyards that can haul a boat for winter, etc.

Are diesel powered boats allowed on the finger lakes? Or gasoline, for that matter?

Are diesel powered boats allowed on the finger lakes? Or gasoline, for that matter?

Cayuga and Seneca Lakes will allow anything, as they're considered navigable waterways. I'm not sure what restrictions the other Finger Lakes may have, but the others are land locked, so I expect you wouldn't want to put the boat on them anyway.

Are you planning to bring the boat up by water or have it trucked?

Are you planning to bring the boat up by water or have it trucked?

Trucked. New York harbor and the Hudson are way out of my comfort zone. I have used Certified Marine Transport in the past to move my Herreshoff 38 cat ketch along the I-95 corridor. I've been very happy with them. I will put that boat up for sale in the near future.

Thomas
Belated Welcome aboard TF
I'm on Seneca Lake and have been there for 30+ yrs.
Your choices with Lk Ontario access are Seneca & Cayuga. Both have several marinas and many larger cruising boats. Oneida / Brewerton is an option. I'll PM my contact info and happy to discuss details both + & - but hesitate to be totally frank in public.
If you are E of Ithaca Cayuga will be the closest. I am partial to Seneca but thats a personal preference. Home port for us is Seneca Lake Resort specifically the marina within Sampson State Park. IMO it is the best Finger Lakes location but that's me and may not be for everyone. Last I knew (last season) they were full and had a waiting list but things change a little every season.
Don't sweat the Finger Lakes... Seneca us over 600 ft deep and few hazards to navigation.
I would also encourage you to consider bringing your boat up on its own bottom. Many are intimidated by the canals but it is not all that difficult with a few tips / instruction and a couple locks you should be OK.
Happy to talk about the area, marina options and canal travel.
I have some cruising notes posted on my Bacchus website linked in signature.

The Hudson River and Erie Canal are a blast. It was a lot of fun cruising up them. It isn’t that difficult to do. And it is well worth the trip. Probably be cheaper too.

The Hudson River and Erie Canal are a blast. It was a lot of fun cruising up them. It isn’t that difficult to do. And it is well worth the trip. Probably be cheaper too.

Agreed

When you said upstate,, I thought you meant UPSTATE,, as in Plattsburgh, that would put you on Lake Chaplain.. ( Your only at mid-state)>>>( I have a daughter in Plattsburgh.)>>>Dan

Last edited:
We had a 32' sportfish in FL, which we sold when we move to ROC NY. Bought a trailered 17' key west instead. Glad we did. The fam really enjoyed trailering, since we can now hit 4 or 5 finger lakes, the Gennessee river, the big O, Thousand Islands on the Canada side and Lake George. Personally, no single destination would have keep us satisfied. But, collectively, they are a blast. For 4 months/year.... Yeah, even the Erie canal too. Lived and worked just a couple blocks from that.

Last edited:
When you said upstate,, I thought you meant UPSTATE,, as in Plattsburgh, that would put you on Lake Chaplain.. ( Your only at mid-state)>>>( I have a daughter in Plattsburgh.)>>>Dan

IMO anything more than 30 miles north of NYC is upstate. If the Finger Lakes are not upstate then I don't know what is. They are a five hour drive from NYC going north west.

As for the NY canal system, check your dimensions for bridge height. I think the lowest bridge is around 14' but this varies with the state of the canal, which can fluctuate. Seneca would be an excellent choice with small marinas at both ends. Cayuga also has some decent facilities in Ithaca and Ithaca Yacht Club would probably welcome you too.

Another view is the Hudson north is upstate, notably containing Albany.
Syracuse to points west of Buffalo is called Western NY. There is rather a political and emotional differentiator there.

...... I've looked at the canal system and find it pretty confusing. I expected/hoped to find an assortment of marina options but, with a couple of exceptions, they seem limited to light craft and small sailboats.

I don't know your area but will say that "confusing" is a good sign to me. Lots of discovery.

When I moved to Florida 17 years ago, I thought a displacement trawler was the opposite of the right boat. With all the skinny waters, no-wake-zones, etc, turns out a full keel slow trawler makes sense.

Dance with who bring you. Keep the boat.

Good luck

Peter

She's a keeper. Lovely boat, low hours (118), and the hull number is extra special. She's been kind of like a barely used piece of furniture in the dusty part of the house.

L3nn8KV.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

You should get lots of usage on the lakes in NY.

There's plenty of boats your size at home on the canals, we will be taking ours up the Hudson, Champlain canal, to spent the summer in Lake Champlain.

I was at the south end of Seneca Lake in Watkins Glen. Unfortunately the marina sold and developers booted everyone out. Otherwise there are nice transient docks at a different marina and the small town is easy to walk to with places to go. Some weekends (races) are full.
Cruised the canal with a Carver 380 a few times. The comment about headroom is very important as in recent years heavy rain in central NY has caused canal closings. A former boat in our marina (38 Mainship) waited over a month on the Hudson for access.
On the canal Baldwinsville is a nice stop, inexpensive. Seneca Falls is free if you can find a spot. Pirates Cove has a pool, but the shore power is suspect. Cross Lake is a nice place to anchor and swim.
Absolutely have a tender!

Thanks for the tip, jflongwell. I may just put the Halvorsen in the barn and pick up something small and trailerable.

Welcome to upstate! You might also consider the south end of Cayuga, as its a bit closer to Ithaca. From there you can go anywhere via the canal system. Another lake is Onieda near Syracuse. There is a lot of great boating in NY and the canal is great way to explore.

Many cruising options in the region

We have had several trips from Western Lake Erie through the canals and plan to do the Rideau Canal again this year if Canada will let us in. The Erie is a great cruise particularly west of the Oswego River. The vertical clearance is a minimum of 14' 9" in that region and about 20' east. Seneca Lake would be our choice of the lakes to keep a boat but Brewerton has much better facilities. Our boat is a similar size to yours and is very well suited for the area. There are all kinds of vacation possibilities as it is possible to reach the Great Lakes in relatively short time. We will use the Erie from Tonawanda to Oswego and that will take 4 days without hurrying. Lake Ontario is only a day or so away and Lake Huron can be reached through the Trent-Severn Canal in 10 days or less. So all kinds of possibilities are open.

Welcome to upstate! You might also consider the south end of Cayuga, as its a bit closer to Ithaca. From there you can go anywhere via the canal system. Another lake is Onieda near Syracuse. There is a lot of great boating in NY and the canal is great way to explore.

And the fresh water reduces corrosion to about zero. After the season, the cold keeps basically any chemical process reduced to zero. :thumb:

Taking your halvorsen from Baltimore to one of the finger lakes is a relatively easy trip. Not quick, but certainly doable, and quite enjoyable. I brought a 40’ Marine Trader the opposite direction in September and it was a great trip. Contact me directly if you’re interested in having a captain go along with you. Very reasonable rates.
Jim. Cell 603 three two one 4931.

I will keep the Halvorsen at the new-to-me farm for the upcoming season. First priority will be moving fence lines, removing trees (and stumps), reframing the barn's second floor, putting in cobblestone entrances to the barn top & bottom, planting food for me and planting sunflower, corn, rye, and millet to keep the local feathered friends fat and happy. In between all of the above chores will be cutting and splitting enough firewood to keep me toasty through the upcoming winter. Cruising the canal system is on my list, but pretty near the bottom right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom