Moving a twin engine boat sideways(?).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carey wrote:

when close maneuvering, never proceed any faster than you'd like to be going when you strike the boat next to you.*

The best point I have heard made on the subject

SD*

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 01:16:24 PM

When landing a boat, the trick is to get the dock and the boat moving at the same speed.

As in any other kind of landing, any docking with no paint damage is a good docking.

Hiya,
** I've heard any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.* Heck, I've backed into a slip sideways (on more than one occasion and NOT on purpose)*and other than my pride being slightly bruised have considered it a success.* It's all the same once you're tied up.

Me thinks the board needs our own "official" movie. I nominate Captain Ron!

This one is great!

RT, I posted your link over on Facebook under the title: "
New video from Carnival Splendor".

We tried in out on Sunday when we went to pump out.* It seemed like the boat was starting to move sideways when someone wanted to pass by us and we had to stop.* We tried it again a few more times and were getting more forward motion than anything.* We'll try again sometime soon when we have more time!*

When I was in the Navy in the early 70’s I was on board an old LKA which had 8 LCM 6’s. Four forward of the superstructure, and four aft of the superstructure. These landing craft weighed in at about 60 tons and were powered with GM671’s. They were twin screw and about 56 feet long and 14’ beam.

At the forward and aft decks, the 8 LCM-6s were off-loaded with 60 ton booms. And they were OLD style, all wire rope controlling. A bosun’s mate would direct each booms operators with hand signals.

We would pick up these 60 ton “Mike” boats and put them over the side. The boats were crewed by (I think) 4 people; a coxswain (who drove the craft), an engine man (responsible for the machinery) a bow hook, (handled the forward lines) and another crew member for various line handling and other duties as ordered by the Coxswain.

MARIN, please note, these boats regularly moved sideways by engines and throttles only! These guys were experts at boat handling. They would have to position them alongside the ship and stand by as cargo lifted over the side. Jeeps, six boys, palletized cargo, you name it, if it was needed it got loaded! It was an incredible dance to watch. And I remember that like yesterday!

So yes, I know a twin screw powerboat can be moved sideways solely with twin screws and rudders. Feel free to reply to me.

Sorry, I forgot to include RUDDERS in my above post along with engines and throttles.

Unlikely. It`s a 2010 thread and Marin left TF years ago. Does he lurk? Who knows?

Moving sideways on engines and rudders only

Bruce, you’re correct, I didn’t see the date of the old string until after I posted my comment. But it was fun recalling the events I described, and hope someone else enjoys the post.

P.S. I built a scale model of my ship to remind me of the experience.

Some boats move sideways with just twins ....throttles shifters and rudders.... but ALL boats will not move perfectly sideways.

Not all hull designs perform the same in any situation.

This is just info for newer boaters who may read the thread.

Back
Top Bottom