Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

City: Oyster Bay
Vessel Name: BabaNanu
Vessel Model: Hunter Legend 37.6
Moving from sailboat to Trawler

Dear All:
My name is Jim and I have been sailing for about 40 years. However, I plan to retire soon (my partner is already retired) and sailing is becoming too strenuous for me, as I have multiple back issues. I plan to switch to a trawler, as I do not have a desire to spend a fortune on fuel and I enjoy the comfort a trawler can provide Most likely between 31' to 34' ( max 36'). I plan to purchase a slightly used boat but may consider a new boat (I like to new 31' Ranger). I plan on using the boat as a retirement home and taking it from New York to Florida during the winter for a month or so (visiting many friends who have purchased homes in Florida). Therefore, I am interested in those boaters who have either Ranger 31' or Nordic tugs 34' for their reasons why you choose the particular boat you now own. And, your positive and negatives about your experiences with your trawler/tug. Thank you for your input. It's a difficult decision giving up my sailboat (38').
In addition, I plan to attend Trawlerfest this September 2017 in Maryland. Has anyone ever attending the seminars? Especially the boat handling seminar.

jgriff375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Welcome aboard!

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Guru

We moved from a 38' sailboat to a slightly larger Trawler this year.
We went slightly larger than you are considering but we each love our new boat!
It is simply amazing how much more living space there is in what is essentially a 1 foot longer boat.
If I were looking at a Ranger 31 vs a Nordic 34, I'd want the Nordic Tug. The 34 Nordic is my favorite Nordic and although I love the Ranger Tugs, the designs are a little cramped for my tastes. Innovative, no question but I can't see myself on one for long periods of time.
Best of luck shopping! It is a fun journey you are beginning...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
Guru

City: gulf coast
If you plan to spend a lot of time on the boat get the largest interior you can. They all shrink after a few months of living on them. Forget everything about sailboat interior because power offered interesting interior design options. It wont look sailboaty but that may prove a benefit. Look at the interior of a lot of boats for livability before deciding on the exterior shape.

One of my post sail boat objectives was to never get on a similar class boat and say I wish I had see that make before i bought mine, I never did.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #5

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Welcome aboard Jim!

I encourage you to also consider the American Tug 34. Like you, I am an ex-sailor, now 66 years young. I believe the AT 34 is the ultimate couple's boat - go check one out. Good luck.

David
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Welcome Jim,

I made the move from sail to power a year ago. I agree with everything said so far. The Ranger is nice, but too small to live on comfortably in my opinion. The NT34 is a great boat for two, but again I think it is a bit cramped to live on for months at a time. The American Tug 34 is also a wonderful boat and a good alternative to the NT34, but I think too small for what I think you are planning.

Both the Nordic Tug and American Tug lines are very good boats but I would at the least look at the next larger offerings. There are also a bunch of other boats in that size that would be worth considering. Two I can think of would be Helmsman and North Pacific.

Again, welcome to TF.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome aboard! To quote John Truesalt, "Oh Lord forgive me! I went out on a powerboat, and liked it!"
Old 08-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #9

Dear Bruce:
Thanks for your input. You are correct about the Ranger being cramped. I really liked the Ranger set up especially the rear deck. But the Nordic has such wonderful space. I'm going to attend Trawlerfest in September and perhaps it will clarify some issues for me. But, you are correct, I'm at the beginning of my journey.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 08-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #10

What make do you have? I like the set-up.
Jim
Old 08-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriff375 View Post
What make do you have? I like the set-up.
Jim
Are you asking me? We have an American Tug 395.
I'd second the motion that you at least look at an American Tug 34 or the newer 365 (those are the same boats by the way...).
Pretty awesome boats if you ask me!
Bruce
Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

Both the Nordic Tug and American Tug lines are very good boats but I would at the least look at the next larger offerings. There are also a bunch of other boats in that size that would be worth considering. Two I can think of would be Helmsman and North Pacific.

Again, welcome to TF.
I knew North Pacific was coming from Dave, but very good recommendation from a former sail boater. I think either of the four brands mentioned has a lot to offer and they're good companies to work with.

Are you thinking new or used? If used, how old?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Also look at the engine spaces. I looked at a couple of small trawlers at the last Miami boat show and I couldn't figure out how to get to anything but the top of the engine! No room on either side.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #14
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
We made the move from a 42 foot sailboat to a 42 foot powerboat. The difference in interior (and exterior) room is amazing. My brother in law described it this way. "You went from a banana shape to a shoebox shape and the shoebox has a lot more room."
Old 08-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We made the move from a 42 foot sailboat to a 42 foot powerboat. The difference in interior (and exterior) room is amazing. My brother in law described it this way. "You went from a banana shape to a shoebox shape and the shoebox has a lot more room."
Your brother in law nailed that one!
Bruce
Old 08-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #16

I would most likely look at a 2-3 y/o boat but perhaps there will be a good deal on a new boat at the end of the season. Keeping an open mind.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriff375 View Post
... Most likely between 31' to 34' ( max 36'). I plan to purchase a slightly used boat but may consider a new boat (I like to new 31' Ranger). I plan on using the boat as a retirement home and taking it from New York to Fl ...
Unless your are single and a minmalist, such a small boat would have difficulties providing even minimal living accommodation.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Unless your are single and a minmalist, such a small boat would have difficulties providing even minimal living accommodation.
I would definitely move toward the upper end of the range he quoted. There is a size point, and it varies for different people, where tolerable turns to comfortable, and if you're going to live on it or spend a lot of time on it, comfortable is worth it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #19
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Welcome aboard.
We went from a Sailboat to a Trawler, no regrets yet.
I also had a Hunter 375 back in the mid 90's. On second thought, I do miss sailing that boat.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #20
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
HIn the 34 foot range built in the last few years, the AT, Beneteau, and Mainship must be close to the top for space, but for a live-aboard it would be a shame not to consider good conditioned vessels built after the milenium. The space king for any production or semi-production boat under 38 is the incomparable Great Harbour N or GH series. At 36 it would be the Krogen Manatee, but the latest model was built in '91. I'd have to throw in the Endeavour 36 powercat as the post 2000 living space winner with honorable mention to the Selene 36. The only recent 35 would be the Sea Horse "Coot", and at 34 I'd probably add another powercat option, the PDQ 34, which offers speed, economy and surprising space as well. Good luck in your search.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote