Old 10-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
RE: Moving from Sail to a Trawler

Quote:
bobc wrote:One other factor with older boats is the options you have when it comes time to rebuild or re-power. You can always rebuild one engine at a time, but if you want to re-power with new engines, unless that engine is still manufactured, you're likely to have to replace both engines at the same time. That can be pretty expensive.
One of the reasons, not the only one but a significant one, that we sold our old woodie that had twin Chrysler Nissan diesels. Just the thought of the repowering costs (new engines, new beds, etc.) was sobering.

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #42
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Moving from Sail to a Trawler

Ok......I'm over the edge with curiosity here??? After 30 years of listening to my sailboater neighbor (who I share a slip with) calling my boat a " stink pot", griping every time I roll an engine, complaining about engine noise, diesel smell, etc. What is with all you ex-sailboaters buying diesel trawlers??

I always thought that would be like an ice cubes chance in hell??
:ashamed:
LB

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Saturday 15th of October 2011 08:08:29 PM

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #43
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Moving from Sail to a Trawler

Quote:
Edelweiss wrote:
Ok......I'm over the edge with curiosity here??? After 30 years of listening to my sailboater neighbor (who I share a slip with) calling my boat a " stink pot", griping every time I roll an engine, complaining about engine noise, diesel smell, etc. What is with all you ex-sailboaters buying diesel trawlers?? I always thought that would be like an ice cubes chance in hell?? :ashamed: LB

If your sailboater friend isn't engineless, he's just being a hypocrite giving you friendly(?) pokes.* If he has an engine, he is subject to the same.

*I expect that a high proportion of trawler folk are ex-sailors, like me.* Traveling at eight knots or less doesn't seem slow to us.

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 15th of October 2011 09:08:32 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0991.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	7989  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #44
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

Quote:
Edelweiss wrote:
Ok......I'm over the edge with curiosity here??? After 30 years of listening to my sailboater neighbor (who I share a slip with) calling my boat a " stink pot", griping every time I roll an engine, complaining about engine noise, diesel smell, etc. What is with all you ex-sailboaters buying diesel trawlers?? I always thought that would be like an ice cubes chance in hell?? :ashamed: LB

*Not all sailors are 'purists'. I sail because I like the sensation of sailing - plain and simple. As Mark stated, they are hypocritical. If they ever turn on their engine for any reason, they are burning fuel. I also assume many sailors drive to their boat and not walk.

Most sailing 'purists' that I have met were dock queens and never tyook their boats out anyway. I think they just need to feel superior.

We want to go trawler largely due to our age but don't want to give up boating. Inland waterways *will be new to us and I have always loved running rivers anyway. I see the type of boating as a trade-off. I love the sensation and sense of freedom of sailing the open Gulf of Mex and on the otherhand, open water is very boring. As far as 'visual', rivers and lakes are much prettier.

In our quest to sell our sailboat and get a trawler, the cost of fuel is going to be a major consideration.

I am also checking out houseboats on the internet. If we stay inland, a Houseboat will give us more living space for the dollar. The major drawback to a houseboat is that their is nothing 'salty' or bpaty about it.

Then there is the other option - upgrade the sailboat inside and out and take it inland. My mast is 51' above the waterline. I think I can make it up the Tenn-Tom Waterway atleast to Kentucky. If I have to drop the masts, that too is an option.

Although my sailboat is currently for sale and I just started to work on changing the layout in the main salon. This will cost me about $3K, maybe a little more. One way or another, we are going to become river rats.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #45
FF
Guru

"My mast is 51' above the waterline."

One option might be an inshore stick.

At a lower 20 or 30 ft , a used rig would allow day sailing and keep the mast advantages , for sun covers , rain catchers , and radar height. A boat powered this way will not ghost , but in a modest breeze , say 10K+, sailing fun will still happen.

The long term value of the boat will not be compromised , but the inshore use will be far handier.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #46
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
FF wrote:
"My mast is 51' above the waterline."

One option might be an inshore stick.

At a lower 20 or 30 ft , a used rig would allow day sailing and keep the mast advantages , for sun covers , rain catchers , and radar height. A boat powered this way will not ghost , but in a modest breeze , say 10K+, sailing fun will still happen.

The long term value of the boat will not be compromised , but the inshore use will be far handier.
*Something like this?:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	8038  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:17 AM   #47
FF
Guru

Sure , what ever fits with the desired cruising area bridges.

On a real sailboat the boat will actually sail well, just a bit slower for the same breeze.

With the minor angle of heel low sails generate , an autopilot cruise is even more enjoyable.

And when it blows 30K , you can still white knuckle the tiller , and play the "Victory at Sea" music!
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #48

City: Sanibel fl
We are looking to do the same thing -from sail to trawler. Any suggestions for possible trade? Beatrice
Beatrice Coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #49

Smile Any possibility for trading in a world class hinckley sailing yacht for a trawler.

Yes, we are looking to buy a trawler and sell our sailing vessel. Does anyone know if there is any possible trade activity amongst the 2?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #50
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrice Coyne View Post
Yes, we are looking to buy a trawler and sell our sailing vessel. Does anyone know if there is any possible trade activity amongst the 2?
I've sailed Hinckleys, which model is the world class one.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #51
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
And when it blows 30K , you can still white knuckle the tiller , and play the "Victory at Sea" music!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #52

Smile Classic beauty, classic lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I've sailed Hinckleys, which model is the world class one.
It is the Bermuda '40. It was inducted into the hall of fame for sailing vessels one of the 5 chosen. This is hull #5, yawl design. Hull #6 was purchased by the Rockefeller family. Interesting history, the designer is William Tripp, the maker hinckley. It was the first time that hinckley went from wood hull to laying up fiberglass. Since they were not familiar with the process, they made them thick, rock solid. She was made for blue water sailing, comfortable cruising and as the name suggests, a racer as well. She just completed a total inside outside refurb and has never looked better. Her bright work has 8 coats of epiphanies. She is a thing of beauty. Now that she is ready to go.... My husband wants to cruise by trawler. Go figure? We know we will never get what it cost to buy her and refurbish her, so we are throwing out the possibility that perhaps someone out there wants to sail instead of motor their trawler of similar provenance. The universe works in mysterious ways!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #53

Personally, I will have a hard time giving up on my dream boat (sail). I love being off shore out of sight of land and under the stars. However, my partner is getting less nimble. He is the captain and pays the bills but does not have the sailing bug like me. Who knows I might have to jump ship.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #54
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Who knows I might have to jump ship.
Dang B, that's tough !
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #55

I sense a wee bit of sarcasm.
It was not intentional for me to lack sensitivity.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Respectfully,
Beatrice
Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #56
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Total sarcasm. Sorry if I offended.

I thought your comment was hilarious.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #57

Relieved...

No offense taken. Relieved you recognized my sense of humor. I Love the picture (of you?) in a dinghy on the sand bar. Nice trawler car dude!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #58
Guru

Quote:
tell me a little about your sailboat
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #59

Thanks for your interest to shine a little light on my query? I sent a private message to you. Please let me know if you have any specific questions you'd like answered.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #60
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
It is the Bermuda '40. It was inducted into the hall of fame for sailing vessels one of the 5 chosen. This is hull #5, yawl design. Hull #6 was purchased by the Rockefeller family. Interesting history, the designer is William Tripp, the maker hinckley.
I did a few chores on the Rita Mia, a B40 that won class in the Transpac. It was converted from yawl to sloop to get a better rating for racing purposes. I remember seeing Ondine alongside, that was fun.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote