Moving boat sideways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The dog wasn't around to set everyone straight....

Our current dog wasn't, you're correct. He wasn't born until 2004. The dog we had then (same breed) was an expert on salmon trolling and halibut fishing but he didn't know squat about running a boat and had no interest whatsoever when we bought the Grand Banks cabin cruiser. It wasn't a fishing boat, so he couldn't have cared less about it.

Mine's left-handed, explaining the starboard propwalk.

God, I hope I'm not due for another trip to the woodshed for being disrespectful but...

A left hand propeller should walk the stern to port.
It acts just as though it is walking on the ocean floor.

Last edited:
God, I hope I'm not due or another trip to the woodshed for being disrespectful but...

Nevertheless, this left-handed propellered boat requires a three-degree port rudder to maintain a straight course while going forward, and the stern turns to starboard in reverse. :eek:

God, I hope I'm not due for another trip to the woodshed for being disrespectful but...

Depends on whether you're talking forward or reverse, bow or stern.

Why? We were brand new to this kind of boating. I'd never even HEARD of left-hand or right-hand being applied to a prop before. So what he demoed made sense to me.

Maybe I misunderstood, I thought you had had your boat for a bit before this lesson and at least knew which direction each of your shafts turned when in forward or reverse.

Nevertheless, this left-handed propellered boat requires a three-degree port rudder to maintain a straight course while going forward, and the stern turns to starboard in reverse. :eek:

That makes sense.
A 3 degree port rudder is in effect telling your stern to move to starboard to compensate for a port propwalk.
And yes, your stern should creep to starboard in reverse.

Well Thanks guys and now I know thanks to team TF!!!

Maybe I misunderstood, I thought you had had your boat for a bit before this lesson and at least knew which direction each of your shafts turned when in forward or reverse.

My wife and I did know which direction the shafts turned--- we learned that during the sea trial in SFO Bay before buying the boat because we looked specifically to find out. What we didn't know was what this "hand" business is and what it relates to as we'd never even heard the term before. And if you don't know what a term relates to, any reasonable-sounding explanation can be plausible as it was in this case.

It's just like P-factor that student pilots learn except that the prop is on the other end of the vessel.

It's just like P-factor that student pilots learn except that the prop is on the other end of the vessel.

Well-l-l-l Maybe or maybe not :whistling:

Attachments

• Laker.jpg
    Laker.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 61
My wife and I did know which direction the shafts turned--- we learned that during the sea trial in SFO Bay before buying the boat because we looked specifically to find out. What we didn't know was what this "hand" business is and what it relates to as we'd never even heard the term before. And if you don't know what a term relates to, any reasonable-sounding explanation can be plausible as it was in this case.

Maybe you should have asked your dog. :rofl:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :devil:

75 posts and the damn thing still won't go sideways.

75 posts and the damn thing still won't go sideways.

That's because you need a pair of these!! Guaranteed to work everytime!! (Nothing but net!) :lol:

Attachments

• lightbox_dolly_thumb_01.jpg
    lightbox_dolly_thumb_01.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 56
You guys are too much.

Okay, did a bit of research on the Michigan Wheel website (our props are Michigans) and it turns out that I was in fact taught incorrectly how to determine left and right-hand props. Can't remember who taught me that palm-on-the-blade method, but it was someone who should have known better (surveyor, perhaps?).

Good golly folks -The reason props are called "screws" is because they do the same thing screwing into water as a right hand or left hand thread on a bolt does for screwing into its left hand or right hand threaded nut. It's pretty easy to figure out (by looking at it) which way the bolt's thread screws into a nut as well as which way a prop screws into water.

Last edited:
Are we talking about inboards or stern drives?? If you have stern drives you have directional thrust and maybe using the steering wheel might help but with inboards and advice to move the rudder is foolish and absolutely incorrect. Center your rudder on your approach to the dock and DO NOT TOUCH THE WHERL AGAIN. starboard froward and port in reverse will move the bow to port and the stern to starboard. Port forward and starboard in reverse will move the bow to starboard and the stern to port. Remember practice this away from the dock and find your pivot point. Learn how it moves with just the transmissions first before you add throttle. Also since the cup of the props are designed for forward propulsion using them in reverse will be less efficient and thus they will react slower so I usually engage the reverse engine first. Also keep in mind that the forward engine will also still move the boat forward a bit. Good luck and enjoy I love my twins. And remember DO NOT TOUCH THE WHEEL

with inboards and advice to move the rudder is foolish and absolutely incorrect. Center your rudder on your approach to the dock and DO NOT TOUCH THE WHERL AGAIN.

Is this your answer to the question as to how to move a boat sideways? If so, its pretty brash. Does that work for you? Love to see video of that.

We are talking about twins right?? That is textbook. Chapman Piloting and Seamanship guide. And any other piloting guide for that mater. Seriously just try it.

Are we talking about inboards or stern drives?? If you have stern drives you have directional thrust and maybe using the steering wheel might help but with inboards and advice to move the rudder is foolish and absolutely incorrect. Center your rudder on your approach to the dock and DO NOT TOUCH THE WHERL AGAIN. starboard froward and port in reverse will move the bow to port and the stern to starboard. Port forward and starboard in reverse will move the bow to starboard and the stern to port. Remember practice this away from the dock and find your pivot point. Learn how it moves with just the transmissions first before you add throttle. Also since the cup of the props are designed for forward propulsion using them in reverse will be less efficient and thus they will react slower so I usually engage the reverse engine first. Also keep in mind that the forward engine will also still move the boat forward a bit. Good luck and enjoy I love my twins. And remember DO NOT TOUCH THE WHEEL

Wow....I have been doing it wrong all these years. Wait until I tell my father (100 ton master) that he taught me incorrectly and he also was doing it wrong many years before me:facepalm:. I don't know if I should change my technique since it has been working correctly for over 35 years. What do the other TF'ers think?:banghead:

While mostly true...some find dual directed thrust boats easier to maneuver if they leave one engine in neutral and just turn the wheel and shift the one engine like they did on their smaller single, directed thrust boat.

Many twin IOs and twin outboards stink at twisting...thus steering and shifting with one.

Your comment is a very good indication of the misconception and generalizations that appear regarding the concept of the differences between 'walking' and 'twisting' a boat to the dock.

Walking a boat sideways is NOT synonymous with your description. Not even close. It is difficult to describe to people who don't have or know about inboard turning wheels. And no matter what Chapmans sez, maneuvering a boat without rudders can be done. But using them GREATLY speeds up the evolution. When I have a 'yachter' come to my 'work boat' to learn to steer it is particularly vexing to have to break them of this 'don't use rudder when maneuvering' idea. There are more ways to skin a cat than your post suggests.

OK 70+ posts and I can't bite my tong any longer A boat can not be walked without ruder. (Excluding thrusters for the time being) Twisted yes, (about the best most can do with O/B or O/D). Marina managers and sport boat salesmen tell their customers to center the wheel and do everything with asymmetric thrust (which is a term few use because it's too scary technical) It is my observation, having taught boat handling for over 30 years, that the reason they give this advice is that their greatest fear is that the novice will get confused with too many variables, panic and begin over reacting with increasing amounts of power, turning a slow bump into a fast crash. If you want to learn how to "walk" your boat hire a Pro to work with you for a while it wont take long. I would recommend an oil patch guy or a landing craft guy but I'm biased. Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom