Old 08-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #81
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Art please, this is Trawler Forum. Nothing is ever easy here.
Ahh - Screw It!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #82

Are we talking about inboards or stern drives?? If you have stern drives you have directional thrust and maybe using the steering wheel might help but with inboards and advice to move the rudder is foolish and absolutely incorrect. Center your rudder on your approach to the dock and DO NOT TOUCH THE WHERL AGAIN. starboard froward and port in reverse will move the bow to port and the stern to starboard. Port forward and starboard in reverse will move the bow to starboard and the stern to port. Remember practice this away from the dock and find your pivot point. Learn how it moves with just the transmissions first before you add throttle. Also since the cup of the props are designed for forward propulsion using them in reverse will be less efficient and thus they will react slower so I usually engage the reverse engine first. Also keep in mind that the forward engine will also still move the boat forward a bit. Good luck and enjoy I love my twins. And remember DO NOT TOUCH THE WHEEL

dpvandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #83
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpvandy01 View Post
with inboards and advice to move the rudder is foolish and absolutely incorrect. Center your rudder on your approach to the dock and DO NOT TOUCH THE WHERL AGAIN.
Is this your answer to the question as to how to move a boat sideways? If so, its pretty brash. Does that work for you? Love to see video of that.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #84

We are talking about twins right?? That is textbook. Chapman Piloting and Seamanship guide. And any other piloting guide for that mater. Seriously just try it.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #85

City: louisiana
Quote:
Are we talking about inboards or stern drives?? If you have stern drives you have directional thrust and maybe using the steering wheel might help but with inboards and advice to move the rudder is foolish and absolutely incorrect. Center your rudder on your approach to the dock and DO NOT TOUCH THE WHERL AGAIN. starboard froward and port in reverse will move the bow to port and the stern to starboard. Port forward and starboard in reverse will move the bow to starboard and the stern to port. Remember practice this away from the dock and find your pivot point. Learn how it moves with just the transmissions first before you add throttle. Also since the cup of the props are designed for forward propulsion using them in reverse will be less efficient and thus they will react slower so I usually engage the reverse engine first. Also keep in mind that the forward engine will also still move the boat forward a bit. Good luck and enjoy I love my twins. And remember DO NOT TOUCH THE WHEEL
Wow....I have been doing it wrong all these years. Wait until I tell my father (100 ton master) that he taught me incorrectly and he also was doing it wrong many years before me. I don't know if I should change my technique since it has been working correctly for over 35 years. What do the other TF'ers think?
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #86
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
While mostly true...some find dual directed thrust boats easier to maneuver if they leave one engine in neutral and just turn the wheel and shift the one engine like they did on their smaller single, directed thrust boat.

Many twin IOs and twin outboards stink at twisting...thus steering and shifting with one.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #87
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
75 posts and the damn thing still won't go sideways.
I can't believe this is an "actual TF question!"

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #88
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Moving boat sideways

Quote:

Your comment is a very good indication of the misconception and generalizations that appear regarding the concept of the differences between 'walking' and 'twisting' a boat to the dock.

Walking a boat sideways is NOT synonymous with your description. Not even close. It is difficult to describe to people who don't have or know about inboard turning wheels. And no matter what Chapmans sez, maneuvering a boat without rudders can be done. But using them GREATLY speeds up the evolution. When I have a 'yachter' come to my 'work boat' to learn to steer it is particularly vexing to have to break them of this 'don't use rudder when maneuvering' idea. There are more ways to skin a cat than your post suggests.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #89
Veteran Member

OK 70+ posts and I can't bite my tong any longer A boat can not be walked without ruder. (Excluding thrusters for the time being) Twisted yes, (about the best most can do with O/B or O/D). Marina managers and sport boat salesmen tell their customers to center the wheel and do everything with asymmetric thrust (which is a term few use because it's too scary technical) It is my observation, having taught boat handling for over 30 years, that the reason they give this advice is that their greatest fear is that the novice will get confused with too many variables, panic and begin over reacting with increasing amounts of power, turning a slow bump into a fast crash. If you want to learn how to "walk" your boat hire a Pro to work with you for a while it wont take long. I would recommend an oil patch guy or a landing craft guy but I'm biased. Bill
boatdriver47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #90
Guru

City: gulf coast
several posts above describe the process but some don't seem to want to read.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #91
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
We are talking about twins right??... And remember DO NOT TOUCH THE WHEEL... That is textbook..
No it's not. Every competent twin driver I know--- little boat, big boat, landing craft, etc.--- uses every tool in the toolbox: differential thrust, opposing thrust, differential power, rudders, and inertia. Whatever tool and combination of tools it takes to put the boat where you want it is fair game. Smart use of the rudders can make the difference between getting the boat up against the dock in an adverse wind or current or being stopped helplessly off of it and then being carried into a position you don't want to be in or having to go around and try again. The rudders can greatly accelerate the rate at which a boat is being pivoted, or they can slow the rate at which it's being pivoted. The rudders are a terrific and essential tool.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #92
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
We are talking about twins right?? That is textbook. Chapman Piloting and Seamanship guide. And any other piloting guide for that mater. Seriously just try it.
Seriously, you are just flat out wrong.

I don't care what the books say, in the real world, real boat handlers use their rudders, single screw or twin, as needed to make the boat do what they want it to when they want it to.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #93

Unbunch your undies ladies. I've read this and I will give it a go. I don't have a trawler I have a cruiser with twin v-drives. I'm a river boater with wind and current and I will try anything to be a better boater. So carry on bashing me. I'm boating. Albeit on a lowly 32 foot Sundancer. Peace out
Old 08-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Unbunch your undies ladies. I've read this and I will give it a go. I don't have a trawler I have a cruiser with twin v-drives. I'm a river boater with wind and current and I will try anything to be a better boater. So carry on bashing me. I'm boating. Albeit on a lowly 32 foot Sundancer. Peace out
I have posted a half dozen responses only to erase them. Too many angles in this thread with only a couple of knowledgeable responses for all sizes, shapes, power packages and docking situations of boats.

I was a delivery captain for a Sea Ray dealership and taught hundreds to dock all shape and sizes of Sea Rays.

Twin I/O Sea Rays had many different issues to teach newbies how to dock.

But the comment on moving a boat sideways is correct in that it is not "twisting" as others are suggesting.

All boats handle a bit different....those suggesting one size fits all need to rethink their posts.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #95
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I just learned that Marin's dog has that disgusted look on his face as he reads this thread. Give a dog a break guys.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #96
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Nobody was bashing you ma'am. Just pointing out while reading a book on a subject is a good start on learning something about it, actually doing it day in and day out ends up giving you a more rounded education in the end.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #97

Which I do.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Nobody was bashing you ma'am. Just pointing out while reading a book on a subject is a good start on learning something about it, actually doing it day in and day out ends up giving you a more rounded education in the end.
In all fairness...

Where do most boaters learn?

They learn from each other or the captain at the brokerage or a for hire guy.....

Many of these guys have limited experience or learned from all those great magazine articles..maybe even USA Today...

Teaching newbies is an exercise in frustration as some of us know. Some here barely know what they have learned through the years and how to handle a half dozen boats they have owned.

Doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs...boat handlers... NOT!!!

Only those that have run hundreds of vessels of all shapes and sizes instructing those new owners can rely have a feel for what is "right" for the moment when instructing a "technique".
Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #99
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
I just learned that Marin's dog has that disgusted look on his face as he reads this thread.
Not sure how accurate that is..... Disregarding the fact that I took the photo awhile back, while he has mastered most things to do with operating a boat the one thing he simply can't do because his physical makeup prevents it is accurately manipulate a keyboard or iPad. So it seems unlikely that he's been reading this thread. But I'll ask him this evening when I get home.

He has taken to slinking into our office at home when we're in the living room watching TV or whatever and God only know what he does in there. Maybe he's more computer-savvy than we think....
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
.....He(Marin`s dog) has taken to slinking into our office at home when we're in the living room watching TV or whatever and God only know what he does in there. Maybe he's more computer-savvy than we think....
What`s his screen name on TF? Bet he spends time sussing out the friendly girl dogs on "Boating with Dogs".

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote