Old 01-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #61
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Ksanders said to Marin
"Your post is exactly how we feel. We cannot imagine paying to park a rig 10 feet from another rig, and then then dealing with the hassles as some grumpy old fart lets his little dog roam because it's "cute" while giving us the evil eye because my German Shepherd is "scary"."

This is exactly how we feel about marinas minus the German Shepherd. We are stuck in a marina for the next six weeks and it drives me nuts. There are lots of little yappy dogs on the dock and every time one gets near it barks it's head off. And by comparison boats in a marina alot of times are only 2 to 4 feet away. I am sure most RV parks have alot more space between rigs.

We know that eventually we will sell the boat and do the RV thing. I never want to own a dirt house again. The RV will be set up much like the boat, off grid for extended stays away from the crowds. We may try to do both for awhile but know that eventually health issues will kill the boat.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #62
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Ksanders said to Marin
"Your post is exactly how we feel. We cannot imagine paying to park a rig 10 feet from another rig, and then then dealing with the hassles as some grumpy old fart lets his little dog roam because it's "cute" while giving us the evil eye because my German Shepherd is "scary"."

This is exactly how we feel about marinas minus the German Shepherd. We are stuck in a marina for the next six weeks and it drives me nuts. There are lots of little yappy dogs on the dock and every time one gets near it barks it's head off. And by comparison boats in a marina alot of times are only 2 to 4 feet away. I am sure most RV parks have alot more space between rigs.

We know that eventually we will sell the boat and do the RV thing. I never want to own a dirt house again. The RV will be set up much like the boat, off grid for extended stays away from the crowds. We may try to do both for awhile but know that eventually health issues will kill the boat.
What I have found in marinas is that while yes the boats are closer than in a RV park, 90% of the time they are unoccupied by their owners. In a RV park i can almost guarantee that the space next to us is going to have the owner present.

The dog problem is easy for us. Our dogs roam our boat but not leave it. since we like to park bow in, the dogs hang out on the foredeck and "talk" to the other dogs either on nearby boats, or the ones that their owners let roam.

This makes it easy for us since the dogs have a natural barrier and do not need to be tied up.

Potty is also easy. We try to target low tide and let the dogs go in the tidal zone, making for no cleanup.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #63
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Having done both boating and RVing a lot....

Both can be a lot alike or not at all...

based on the posts some are making....lack of experience in at least one is evident...

it can be a "where and why you boat" thing also...but that is pretty apparent too.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #64
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Kevin that is a good point about most boats being unoccupied verses an RV. I imagine when we start the rving thing we will do it much like we boat and rarely enter a park/marina.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #65
FF
Guru

"So the problem is that we know fun, uncrowded RV'ing must exist, it's just too iffy to make the huge investment required to find it."

BLM is your answer.

The real problem is property taxes require RV parks to dense pack .

A simple solution is the newer modern RV State parks., which have no tax problem.

Here in FL, Henderson Beach (DESTIN) is considered World Class in many spots you are in a curve off the road with 10-15 ft between your campsite and the road.

Usually about 75 ft long sites allow car parking , or plenty of room for 5th wheelers to drop the rig.

The ocean & beach is a short walk thru the natural woods.

I find the std. yacht club drunks harder to avoid than a mythical gramps with a colostomy bag.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #66
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
based on the posts some are making....lack of experience in at least one is evident...

But isn't that part of the charm of this place? Separating the wheat from the chaff is pretty easy.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #67
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

But isn't that part of the charm of this place? Separating the wheat from the chaff is pretty easy.
Yup! Gotta love those with long and strong opinions based upon zero experience. They're easy to spot.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #68
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Kevin

Believe the guys with the actual experience, not the guys who have formed their impressions from the extremes of B movies.

That said, Christmas Vacation, with cousin Eddie in his RV is still one of my favorites.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #69

City: Vancouver BC
Having done both, I'm all for summer Boating and winter RV'ing.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #70
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
West,
I agree completely, summer boating and winter RVing. I just need to finish finding our boat.

As for a slightly more mainstream boondocking type of RV, one I have heard of for a long time is EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicles. It's quite a bit different from our fifth wheel, but looks like a lot of fun.
TimButterfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #71
Guru

Solution flat barge just big enough for RV. A small tow boat with good anchors. Just find a ramp drive her up and chain RV down and go cruising. You can even anchor the barge and go shopping fishing or exploring in the towboat. A 21 footer with twin OB and a proper tow bar rig similar to what the SEA Tow type boats use .
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #72
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
"We'd rather have an unpredictable brown bear on the other side of the stream than a typical RVer hell-bent on telling us his life story. "

Based on the length of most of your posts, the RVer would probably feel the same way!
Writing is like everything else--- tennis, playing an instrument, etc. The more you practice the better you get. An important component of my job and what I do outside my job is write. At work it's scripts, outside of work it was at first magazine articles for national flying magazines and now for the last bunch of years, books on a variety of subjects. I'm always looking for new and different techniques of using writing to communicate.

This forum provides a great place to practice stuff because of the huge cross section of people on it with lots of different backgrounds, education, life experiences, world knowledge, etc. And it's based on a subject I know something about and am involved in. So it's a good place to try stuff, see what kind of reaction it generates, and and it takes almost no time to do.

Most of the time I don't even note who put up the post I'm responding to. The posts here are just words on a page and those words are what I base my opinions and responses on. I have never actually met any of the participants on this forum nor do I have any desire or intention of doing so. In person I am quite different in terms of communicating than I probably appear to be here.

So the RVer--- or the bear--- would have nothing to be concerned about from me. I won't be invading the space of either one of them.

The number one rule that applies to writing is "write what you know." Usually I do but in this thread I haven't: I've never done any RVing (my wife has with her parents years ago). However I have had some observational experience and I've met a lot of RVers over a whole lot of years of traveling and here at work. Based on that--- which is the only thing I can base my opinion on, right?--- it's an activity that has zero appeal to us, with the exception of the solo "off grid" thing I mentioned earlier. The turnoff for us is not the rig-- some of them are really very cool and quite clever in their use of space. My wife and I are very impressed by the Airstream products, for example. The turnoff for us is the people and the environment they create.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #73
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimButterfield View Post
West,
I agree completely, summer boating and winter RVing. I just need to finish finding our boat.

As for a slightly more mainstream boondocking type of RV, one I have heard of for a long time is EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicles. It's quite a bit different from our fifth wheel, but looks like a lot of fun.
Wifey B: Winter? What's that? I'm opposed.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #74
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Winter? What's that? I'm opposed.
Winter is the less crowded season. When I was younger, living near Chicago, we used to take winter vacations. It's not very crowded in ND in winter. TR NP is very pretty that time of year. Now, though, I prefer a bit more moderate climate. You might prefer winter along the Gulf Coast. We were in Rockport, TX in November. It was 85F, 100% humidity, but my wife couldn't breath. We decided to moderate our winter a bit and are currently in Anacortes, WA.
TimButterfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #75

One of the things we didn't like when living in our motorhome is your outside patio area is in most cases facing your neighbors sewer dump. Nothing at all pleasant about that.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #76
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Some people don't know about the millions of acres of BLM land that are available for camping. There are plenty of places to camp without going to a commercial RV park. As I said, "boondocking is like anchoring".
These guys do. The "Q"

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #77
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
One of the things we didn't like when living in our motorhome is your outside patio area is in most cases facing your neighbors sewer dump. Nothing at all pleasant about that.
Well at least you werent swimming in your neighbors sewage...
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #78
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
We mostly relied on Best Westerns for lodging on last year's 3000-mile, over-ground trip. Usually, breakfasts were included. Neither specialized-vehicle depreciation nor high gas mileage experienced.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #79

Get a Class B type, so you can park "anywhere" and never see another motorhome if you don't want to.
* photo from the web
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-Roadtreck-Motorhomes-210-Versatile.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	48101  
Old 01-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimButterfield View Post
West,

That EarthRoamer is pretty awesome. But, if one factored in the cost of the unit and the gas it gulps down, you could probably stay in 5 star Hotels for the rest of your life and still leave an inheritance