Motor won't stop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Remedy
Vessel Make
Senator Sport/Fisher 31
Red stop button won't shut down Ford Lehman S-90. test needed

Bad stop solenoid, low voltage at solenoid due to bad/corroded/loose wiring. Does the voltmeter show a lower voltage when pushing the stop button?

Sometimes on our boat can't stop port engine from flybridge, push stop button and voltage on volt meter goes way down. Works from lower helm, so, bad wiring somewhere between flybridge and lower helm.

motor won't stop

Yes, when I push the red button to stop motor there is a voltage drop while button is engaged.

If volt meter dips, might just be a sticky linkage on the shutdown solenoid. Get a helper to push the button while you watch the linkage. With button pushed, give linkage a little push and see if it then works. Sometimes spray lube does the trick.

Can also put a meter on the solenoid terminals and see what voltage makes it down to it. If volts are low, a boost relay can fix. Lots of engines come from the factory with boost relays just for this problem.

When I re-installed my injector pump, I found that the solenoid no longer pulled the stop lever all the way to the end. No clue how that could have changed, since the only difference was a new gasket on the pump.

If the other suggestions fail, try disconnecting the solenoid and see if you can pull the lever farther than it can.

Our boat is an '86 so no tinned wires. Optimum solution would have been to run new tinned wires. I compromised and cut the old terminals at both ends starting at the engine, stripped the wires back a little and put on new terminals. Worked on the starboard engine but the port still occasionally will not stop from the flybridge but it will from the lower helm. Must have missed a terminal or maybe didn't tighten one. Project for another day.

Cleaned terminals and guess what. Thanks all. aaaaaaaaaaaaArchie Bricker

" Our boat is an '86 so no tinned wires."

That was a cost saving by the boat assembler , who hoped there would be no pre acceptance survey.

He got away with it , ever wonder what else he saved on?

Our '84 Taiwanese T has no original tinned wire, either. And, the vast majority is the same color with splices at the 'working' ends for coding (not at the panel).

The factory wiring harnesses for the Perkins marine diesels do not have tinned wire either.

You can still buy marine parts with non-tinned pigtails.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom