Motor davit search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
We are looking for a davit for lowering a 30# outboard motor from the sun deck to the swim step. The ones we've seen on the market are for up to 100#s and that would be overkill. Any ideas out there?

Overkill could come in handy or even help save a life. Especially for you sundeck owners if you need help handling the outboard how do you plan on rescuing or being rescued in a MOB situation?

I think 200-300 lbs would make a prudent investment in some insurance none of us ever want to use.

I find rail mount davits from time to time on Craigslist, and a couple right here on TF.
About 100 lbs. working load, typically. At least one guy at the marina uses his for the dinghy also, but it must be taxing the capacity. St. Croix brand, I think.

There is a difference between a winch motor and a hoist motor. A winch motor is designed to pull a load more or less horizontally across a surface. the brake mechanism is the gears and the gear ratio. A hoist motor has a locking brake becasue the hoist must support a hanging load. A winch used as a hoist can slip and drop the load. The loads of most dinghy hoists are relatively light and no doubt there are a lot of winch motors being used as hoists. There are some systems designed to be used as either a hoist or a winch. But technically there is a difference in how the motor and brakes are designed..

I was thinkin' more on the lines of a swing arm mounted on one of the sun deck roof support stanchions.

"The ones we've seen on the market are for up to 100#s and that would be overkill. Any ideas out there?"

That 100lbs is probably the smooth water lake rating.

Get the boat rocking and rolling and your OB can weigh 2-3 times as much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom