Old 04-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Motion in typ E Carib seas disp vs mod V @ hull speed

I am trying to decide between displacement and modified Vee hulls for a year long cruise through the islands. For instance, for a similar displacement, say 80,000lbs, run at hull speeds with active stabilizers which would have the better motion: a 58' Hatteras LRC or similar vessel or a 70' Hatteras CPMY or similar? And how extreme is the difference as far as comfort goes, always assuming we will wait for weather windows and have no deadlines forcing us to leave harbor when we shouldn't.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Interesting question. Although we have been in the Eastern Caribbean for eight years we don't come in contact with many/any 70' trawlers in the Eastern Caribbean as those few that are there usually hang with the mega yachts. Above 55/60 feet there are even separate and isolated docks for them. When they are at anchor they tend to anchor away from the smaller boats.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Guru

I was curious since a displacement 50 to 60 footer can be bought for around the same money as Viking or Hatteras CPMYs in the 60 to 70 foot range. We are trying to compare between the two types of hull as far as motion at sea goes and overall livability. Of course I realize that a Vee hulled motor yacht operated at hull speeds is NOT a trawler, but how close can they get given similar displacements?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Of course I realize that a Vee hulled motor yacht operated at hull speeds is NOT a trawler, but how close can they get given similar displacements?

With apologies to Forrest Gump, Trawler is as trawler does.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
With apologies to Forrest Gump, Trawler is as trawler does.
I do not think I understand. No offense, but it does not really answer my question about relative motion in typical seas....... I was hoping for helpful informative responses based upon experience, not homilies from old movies, but yes, I know that a trawler is a trawler. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
If you don't get any satisfactory post answering your question, suggest you check out the web sites for both the Hatteras and Fleming owners and see how many of the Hatteras CPMY and Fleming 55s have gone to the Eastern Caribbean.

I haven't paid attention to the larger boats, but in the below 55 ft range they have almost all been full displacement. There is a semi-displacement Nordic Tug in the Virgins that is used for charter.

Of course there are any number of sport fish in your size range that do visit the Eastern Caribbean.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
I do not think I understand. No offense, but it does not really answer my question about relative motion in typical seas....... I was hoping for helpful informative responses based upon experience, not homilies from old movies, but yes, I know that a trawler is a trawler. Thanks for the reminder.
Sorry.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
You'll definitely need stabilizers on a older Hatteras or a Viking CPMY.

Both are fairly narrow with little hull in the water relatively speaking.

That and people tend to stay putting heavy tenders and/or wave runners up top which adds to the roll.

They also can be squirrelly in following seas. Plus they are Rolly at anchor without some form of at rest stabilization.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:38 AM   #9
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Of course I realize that a Vee hulled motor yacht operated at hull speeds is NOT a trawler, but how close can they get given similar displacements?

FWIW, we run ours "as a trawler" much of the time. Mostly very comfortable. Quieter, and we're usually in no big hurry to get anywhere. Beam seas suck, so that's where we usually a) apply slightly more speed, as appropriate to conditions, and b) tack.

But we don't have stabilizers, and I'd bet that'd make a big difference.

If I we're shopping the used market again, I think I'd likely look for all of our important features (size, space, layout, access to systems, etc.) and worry about engine brands/models and hull form last. And even if all those other things led us to a less comfortable hull form (whatever that might be), I'd probably just try to mitigate that with weather and route planning and so forth.

-Chris
Old 04-28-2017, 05:51 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:

Your on the wrong forum to be asking questions about trawlers
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Can you suggest another one instead?
Old 04-29-2017, 05:45 AM   #12
FF
Guru

The seakindly rides come from boats that check , stop the motion and reverse it with the least accelerations.

A round bottom may roll further than a flat bottom like a barge but the easy motion reversal is easy to get used to.

Even tied to a dock (loose) by running from side to side a boat can be made to roll , the longer the time (roll period) the better the ride will usually be.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:40 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Quote:
Can you suggest another one instead?
Don't take Gaston seriously. That's just his twisted Aussie sensayuma...
Old 04-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
An SD hull used for offshore sport fishing has stood the test of time for well over half a century. This simple fact has been established off US, Central America, NZ and Australia coasts.

What these marvelous fishing machines lack is usually range at say 25 knots in comparison to a slow pokey FD hull running at 7 knots. Slow an SD hull down and range becomes very good.

Over the years various SD hulls have been layered with cabins, weight, bigger tanks, stabilizers, heavy dinghies and all sorts of long range cruiser specific add ons that a sport fishing boat doesn't require.

So IMHO, the task for the OP is to find the right boat whether FD or SD that meets his budget and cruising goals. Obviously, prior owner care and condition are big factors to match up with budget. A walk through the for sale section of any boat mag will show a scanty few FD and dozens of SD vessels that are suitable for the task.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:35 AM   #15
FF
Guru

"Slow an SD hull down and range becomes very good."

At the price of a good ride in heavy slop .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote