Mosquitoes in boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SOMERS

Vessel Name
ANDROMEDA
Vessel Make
MAINSHIP 400
*It is said that there are more Mosquitoes that people ,that being the case you are a target *for Mosquitoes , some are even sea going *others travel first class on jets.

*Some Mosquitoes carry Malaria, be warned.

*I don't want to be raunchy here but those little critters are bloodsuckers they can even get you through your clothes, even *blue genes.

They go on the war path ,it is either early mornings or late evenings, they tend to come out ,*this is because they do not like to be the hot sun amd tend to hide /hang out in dark places.

*This is not intended to be a biology lesson *on mosquitoes ,for that go to the web .*

*Apparently there are many preparations available on the market to deter a Mosquito attack.

Failing that, you could try wiping Listerine mouth wash on your arms and legs *or put some downy *fabric softener sheets in you socks or shoes ,that is a decoy.

**There is always a home remedy out there for everything out there, so if you get a mosquoto sting ( they don't bite ) *you will feel an itch , don't *scratch it, then you are asking for trouble.

*Just apply a little Vaseline *and in minutes your discomfort *will go away, by the way children; babies and senior citizens *are also a favorite target for mosquitoes .

*Did i leave any one out ?

*Mosquitoes are very aggressive they are rated *a 100 + *attack insect.

*I know of no other remedy. I have not tried honey yet.

*Correction *.............Mosquitoes bite

-- Edited by SOMERS on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 10:24:17 AM

We've got a boat acquaintance that stops over from time to time, and most of the time, the poor guy could really use a bath. I told him about the Listerine thing one day when he was complaining about mosquitoes, and voila....he uses it extensively, and it's much better having him around now. Heck, I keep a bottle right here just in case he runs out.

We have a lot of them. Be glad to ship them your way if you run short.

I cannot stand mosquitos! As a boy in western Pennsylvania they drove me nuts. Their incessant buzzing & biting can drive you crazy!

I think I saw or heard one buzzing around my boat but that was 2 or 3 years ago and I haven't seen once since.
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• mosquito.jpg
    mosquito.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 95
Our Mosquitoes *can see in the dark your friends B.O. attracts them.

Down in the islands always anchor further out *where there is a breeze, a quiet lagoon is Mosquito heaven.

*Noseeums are a close family to the mosquoto *they sting also.

As a quickie you can use a spray bottle from the $2.00 store or a used windex spray bottle to mist your arms *legs and shoes .

Listerine does not repel them, only confuses them.

Did you know that mosquitoes also attack animals.

I discovered *by accident .Using Vaseline on the sting as an instant mosquito bite / sting remedy .

*Bee stings ! Apply white vinegar.

*AFTER*you use a credit card or a knife to*scrape*the barbed and pouch out/ off ,a finger nail will also do the trick .

*DO NOT pinch the stinger out ,you will need to take an antihistamine if you are allergic to a bee sting which can lead to death. *Get to the ER you only have minutes.

*I am only a good Samaritan, by law.

-- Edited by SOMERS on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 04:06:33 AM

-- Edited by SOMERS on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 04:07:44 AM

-- Edited by SOMERS on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 09:44:37 AM

SOMERS wrote:

**There is aways a home remedy out there for everything out there, so if you get a mosquoto sting ( they don't bite ) *you will feel an itch , don't *scratch it, then you are asking for trouble.
*What do you mean they don't bite.

The Misquito is the Alaska State bird.

The only thing I have found that really works is DEET.* !00%* of the time.**Put it on no bites.

They do bite. blood suckers.

Female mosquitoes, unlike males, have a proboscis. This is a long thin needle-like built-in syringe located at the mouth. They use this to impale their victims, in order to fill their abdomens with blood. Proteins in the blood are necessary to produce fertile eggs. Since males cannot produce eggs they have no need for blood. Females require a new blood 'meal' for every nest they lay, and produce about 250 eggs per meal.

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 10:11:44 AM

skipperdude wrote: What do you mean they don't bite.
******** The Misquito is the Alaska State bird.

The last time my wife & I were in Alaska, I was "bitten" by a very large mosqito & before I could knock it off my arm, (not swat) It flew to one of the lower branches on a Sitka Spruce tree and began to eat that part of my flesh. We watched it gorging itself for about 5 minutes. :shocked:

Attachments

• teeth.jpg
    teeth.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 108
  • mosqito & man.jpg
    mosqito & man.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 89
  • nome mosquito.jpg
    nome mosquito.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 106
You gottem big M'squites. We gottem too but also small litt'l black fly booggers. Unnofficial State bird. But we breeds em. Tink der mony in dat. Is why Maine poor State.

See Mainer wavin' at choo, is not freendly wave, is bruushin' way black fly boogers. Same duz da Moose. But blackfly keep out de undesirbl flatlander turist, for which we thankfuul.

We don't have mossy's, horsesass flies, or black flies and the noseeums can be seen, barely, so I don't know what you are talking about. Yeah right.
No need to go breed 'em, they do just fine on their own, darn it.
When I stop scratching maybe I'll type some.

Mosquito=helicopter
horsefly=bulldog

Mosquitoes are rarely a problem here but we have White Socks. Little guys a little bigger than a gnat. If you look at them w a magnifying glass you can see they look like their wearing big fat white socks. They bite (like rip and tear) and draw blood but I think they eat the flesh not blood. They put something on or in you (like the mosquito) to deaden your nerves so they can do their thing without you feeling it. That stuff makes me itch like I had a mosquito bite but my wife Chris swells up badly from the White Socks bite. One bit her on the eyelid last year and she swelled up so bad she could'nt see out that eye for several days. Bugs are bad things. Skipperdude do you have White Socks up in Prince William?

nomadwilly wrote:
Skipperdude do you have White Socks up in Prince William?
*I haven't seen any or been bitten lately but I know about them.

The little suckers land and crawl untill they find meat.

I don't know what they are but we get these little flies that swarm around your face and fly in your eyes ,up you nose and in you ears. They don't seem to bite but sure are a pain in the arse.

SD

Re: A good samaritan

**In the event that you discover a medical emergency.

*FIRSTLY. CALL 911 *Do not give this a second thought. DO IT.

*or have some do it for you on the cell phone or the ship to shore radio.

A first responder is a person or persons who come to the aid *of some one who is experianancing a medical emergency.

That person could be you.

*If you should choose to help some who is experianancing a medical emergency,

you will be considered*** *"A GOOD SAMARITAN"******the law protects you and those who you request to help you, even if that person dies in your arms.

It is deemed that you did all you could.

You never know if there is a Doctor or a medical Nurse at hand, SHOUT out very very loud * * * * * * * * * * ********* CALL FOR HELP.***********

skipperdude wrote:nomadwilly wrote:
Skipperdude do you have White Socks up in Prince William?
*I haven't seen any or been bitten lately but I know about them.

The little suckers land and crawl untill they find meat.

******** Since I've been to Alaska numerous times and never experienced the "White Socks"

******** menace, this is beginning to sound a little bit like a "Snipe" hunt. :disbelief:

Negatory on the snipe hunt.

The white sock is a real menace. If they find you you are in for a real bad time.

Like I said they crawl into and under your clothes.**They especially like the forehead right under the bill of your cap. Or on the wrist right under the cuff.

Bigger than a black fly smaller than a misquito.

Been known to devour young caribou and small children.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 03:47:54 PM

JD,

We tend to get carried away riding around on our mosquitoes up here.

nomadwilly wrote:
JD,

We tend to get carried away riding around on our mosquitoes up here.
*Well until now the only "White Sox" I had heard of were in the American League and in Chicago.

Black flies (aka white socks, buffalo gnats)

Family Simuliidae

Small, rather squat flies with large, rounded wings and a distinctive humpback shape. Most common are ''white socks,'' so-called because of the white stripes on their legs. Females bite and can be extremely annoying in forested areas. They are sneaky, crawling into such hard-to-reach spots as under watch bands or hat brims. The intensely itchy bite begins as a small, red dot in the middle of a slightly swollen area, then grows into a large, inflamed area.

Well who knew, next thing I know is some one will sight Sasquatch or Babe the Blue Ox.

We stand corrected SD.

-- Edited by JD on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 04:50:59 PM

Also, if you are in a mosquito infested area and you get the boat all closed up and realize there are numerous mosquitoes INSIDE the boat, I just take out the shop vac and turn it on high and vacuum away....off the wall...the ceiling...outta the air. You just need to get the shop vac within about 12 inches of them and they disappear into the machine....

** *Little annoying flies.

*most likely they are participating in mating ritual or a **Quo Fatta Farunt *<8><8><8> graduation re union class of 888.

They like your after shave Brutus.

A positive solution to*Little flies*,Go borrow Captain Bakers wet vac when he is done with the Mozzies.

* Wither the fate lead us.

The PIC coils that you used at the drive-in's work well to not only repel, but kill any that are inside the boat. Growing up on the Gulf coast I used these a lot, and someone bought me a holder for the coils that works either hanging or sitting on a surface. Mandatory for any cruising around here!

These mosquitoes are certainly annoying. We tried a lot of things and still can't get rid of those little things.

-- Edited by libertybed on Wednesday 13th of July 2011 04:16:19 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom