Morse shift cable from flybridge broken??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Hi folks, I've got "rare," 1981 Formosa 42' trawler. I can't shift into reverse from the flybridge on the starboard engine but can from the lower helm. When I pull the shifter back all the way on the flybridge, the shifter on the lower helm only goes half way. Seems to me if the cable were broken the lower shifter wouldn't move at all. is there something else that could have happened to the cable other than a complete break that would cause this?

I suppose I'll have to replace the cable either way but it seems odd to me. Doesn't look like there's anywhere near enough adjustment available to compensate...

Thanks! Roughen' it in Boot Key Harbor...

You have 2 cables that go from the upper helm station shifter to the lower helm station shifter. The cable is indeed broken or otherwise compromised.

Before you pull the cable, take a look at the cable jacket and get the length information- then attach the new to the old and pull away.

Have you checked the cable SHEATH clamps at both ends of ALL cables. If the clamps have come loose the sheath can then move which will reduce or negate the core movement resulting , possibly, in your reduced movement.

Also check that the pins in the levers have not partly come out of their holes. usually there is a nut or cotter pin to keep the pins in place but if one has come loose you will hav trouble.

If any other part of the shifting/control mechanism is loose, at either end, the same thing could happen..

Some boats daisy chain the cable from the bridge to the interior control mechanism which transfers the motion to the engine/gear.
Some boats run separate cables from bridge to engine and also from interior panel to engine/gear.

At the gear, depending upon the specific control, there may be a lever type lock and they can come loose. Check that it is locked into place and then wire the lock lever in place.

Check it all.

Last edited:
Inspect both helm controls for boogered cable hardware as posted above. Something probably came loose.

If cable broke, it would not work at all.

Need two people, one to move control and other to watch hardware on the other helm.

Once you a ascertain that the cable is truly bad, replace both cables. Upper and lower. Cables aren't expensive and the old ones are presumably the same age so just get it over with.

Thanks to C lectric for the winning solution! Good to go! After reading all these posts now I want all new Glendinning cables... future project. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom