Morganza Spillway to open for only 3rd time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
https://www.wafb.com/2019/05/23/morganza-spillway-be-opened-third-time-history/

This is a pretty big deal. I hope something gives and it doesn’t become necessary but so many people are claiming it’s already too late.

I also read that Assumption Parish has closed all waterways.

Things are getting interesting here in South Louisiana.

I pray for everybody up and down the Mississippi who are experiencing flooding.

Star, I live in Assumption Parish, Pierre Part to be exact.
Fortunately the water has to rise another 3 feet for my house to flood but I have several friends that are not so fortunate.

The barge should have been put in place months ago, but due to political reasons this did not happen.
We are being told that they have located a barge that they think will work and will be trying to put it across Bayou Chene. In the past it has taken several weeks to place and sink the barge. The Morganza will start a soft opening on June 3.

Here are a few of issues I can see with the current plan:

They put the barge in place and it stops the back flow of the Bayou Chene. The water in the lake Verret basin is already higher than it was in 2011 when the Morganza was opened.(Belle River gauge in Pierre part is currently at 3.49' in 2011 it only reached 2.47') With the barge in place the only way for the water to get out is the ICW through Houma, which is very restricted. If we get any large rain events the water has nowhere to go other than into additional homes. Do not even want to think what would happen if we get a tropical event.

The barge that they have located does not stop the flow or they can not get it into place because of the current water levels. If Morganza is opened increasing the water levels in the Atchafalaya River at Morgan City to the 10.35' The height in 2011.
In 2011 with the barge in place the water levels south of the barge at Bayou Penchant reached 5.78'. The water levels on the north side of the barge at Bayou Boeuf were 3.73'. This is a 2' difference. Not a good for any one that lives in the Lake Verret basin.

There are quite a few people living within the spillway levee that will suffer major flooding. However, everyone had been warned by the Corps that they indeed live in a floodway and that periodically the bays will be open due to extreme flooding conditions along the Miss river in Baton Rouge. Bonne Carre Spillway protects New Orleans to some degree. Time to remove belongings from homes and camps within the basin. Relatives of mine have camps on barges which will not be affected like those on stilts. Boats, 4 wheelers, tractors and livestock should be out of there by this weekend. Hope everyone stays safe.

I’m in Nola now and noticed the Mississippi looked really high and the flow seemed very fast. I don’t think my slow boat could buck that current. I had trouble against the current last time I came through here and it was nothing like this.

Wonder what all this extra water is doing to the oysters and other marine life as the Mississippi empties into the Gulf?

People who decide to live in flood planes complaining about water are like people who move next to airports and then complain about the noise.

I’m in Nola now and noticed the Mississippi looked really high and the flow seemed very fast. I don’t think my slow boat could buck that current. I had trouble against the current last time I came through here and it was nothing like this.

Wonder what all this extra water is doing to the oysters and other marine life as the Mississippi empties into the Gulf?

With all the fresh water in the MS sound the fish are getting lesions on them and dying. I think to date there have been about 80 (maybe 60 cant remember) dolphins that have died.

Not sure about oysters. I have some friends that grow them and will ask when I see them next.

With all the fresh water in the MS sound the fish are getting lesions on them and dying. I think to date there have been about 80 (maybe 60 cant remember) dolphins that have died.

Not sure about oysters. I have some friends that grow them and will ask when I see them next.

The oyster harvesting still hasn't recovered from Katrina and other changes, but I've been told that the fresh water intrusion could basically wipe out this years crop.

Took a little drone video of this sailboat we saw coming down the river. He must have been going close to 10 knots. I wanted to try to follow him but I was scared I would lose the drone. [emoji30]

https://youtu.be/TCtKZJ1b9SQ

We were in Gulfport this weekend and took the boat out to Cat and Horn Island.
There were many dead fish on Horn, Cat and Gulfport beach.
There was not even a hint of salt in the water.

USACE announced Sunday June 2 for opening portions of the structure.

A lot of people don't understand that the Mississippi watershed extends from Montana to western New York, east New Mexico to western North Carolina. An enormous quantity of water flowing within the 1.5 mile (?) width of the levee system at New Orleans, with accompanying velocity.

"People who decide to live in flood planes complaining about water are like people who move next to airports and then complain about the noise."

The folks I know who are affected aren't complaining. They located fields, camps, other operations there with their eyes wide open. Not happy about it, but the possibility of Morganza opening is baked into their decision. As to fresh water intrusion into Mississippi Sound - been happening for millenia and will contunue long after we're gone. I don't think that's news to anyone, either.

I was at horn island (Mississippi sound) and the water was dirty and fresh

Back
Top Bottom