More thoughts from our cruise ship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARoss

Guru
Vessel Name
My Yuki
Vessel Make
1973 Marine Trader 34
We're docked in Bermuda, watching a half dozen 50' or so blue marlin charter battlewagons heading out for the day. My Marine Traffic isn't picking up an AIS position on any of them. I wonder if the captains intentionally keep the transponders off to keep their position "secret" from their competitors.

Attachments

• IMG_3959.jpg
    IMG_3959.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 57
I can be within range of several hundred boats at once... and the percentage of AIS transmitters is probably .001% or less. I suspect folks just haven't rushed out to fit AIS transceiver's just because they exist...

But then also the Marine Traffic system does depend somewhat on volunteer receivers who retransmit AIS data via Internet to the Marine Traffic site. There are also now some satellite AIS receivers feeding the Marine Traffic site, but I don't think they pick up and relay every AIS transmission out there...

-Chris

I wonder if the captains intentionally keep the transponders off ]

If a highly competitive tournament , yes. Also, some marine traffic sites have delayed AIS reporting.

Last edited:
We're docked in Bermuda, watching a half dozen 50' or so blue marlin charter battlewagons heading out for the day. My Marine Traffic isn't picking up an AIS position on any of them. I wonder if the captains intentionally keep the transponders off to keep their position "secret" from their competitors.

Especially if they're in tournaments, they absolutely do that.

Many years ago I fished the Hatters- Bertram tournament out of Walkers. The Calcutta was over $1 M. Lots of shenanigans. [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom