More on North Pole Shift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See, I told you in that last thread, it's them damned Russkis!

They can't make an island like the Chinese did so they're stealing the magnetic North Pole.

Last edited:
Ha agree GFC.

So on the serious side. Can this mess up our auto pilots in the near future? Has the main recreational boating community like Garmin, Ray Marine, etc need to pay attention? New compass swing?

Greetings,
HAH! No wonder my luggage always ends up in Boise...

giphy.webp

Ha agree GFC.

So on the serious side. Can this mess up our auto pilots in the near future? Has the main recreational boating community like Garmin, Ray Marine, etc need to pay attention? New compass swing?

The compass will point to magnetic north no matter where it may be. "Swinging" it only helps you figure out how close to magnetic north the compass is pointing. If the magnetic pole starts getting jiggy on you, moving faster in various directions, than it will affect what the charts do say vis what is the variance in "annual increase/decrease" is over time.

If your AP includes an option to True, then yes you want to find out what it thinks the present variance is. GPS goes down on occasion, so you need to know what your backup means.

Ha agree GFC.

Haven't heard anything from my airline or Boeing on the issue. If we are cruising at 8 miles a minute and no one told us then you're probably good to go at 8 mph.

Keith :)

Just move the damn thing back where it was!

My decades-old charts gave information on the continually moving magnetic "north." Nothing new here, is there?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom