Old 08-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Mooring use

This year I am keeping both of my boats in the local marina, but I still have a mooring in the harbor. Here in Maine you own and maintain your mooring, but pay the local town a fee to have a mooring in the harbor. Despite keeping our boats at the marina, we use the mooring every time we take either boat out (derigging and rigging for marina tie-up, etc.). We also enjoy going out there to watch sunsets and spend a several nights a month on the mooring. This season we have found visiting boats on our mooring quite a few times. The people have always moved when asked, but it is annoying to have to ask then wait for them to move.

So, how do people here feel about using obviously private moorings?
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Exactly the same situation here but life's is too short to worry if someone uses my private swing mooring if Im not. I have found boats on my mooring and if I'm not using it I didn't really care .
Maybe I'm getting old and too lay back
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
As Gaston says, it happens a lot in Sydney. Our Maritime Authority says only the designated boat should be on it, but it is a generally accepted practice, provided you get off immediately you are asked. I figure if I sometimes pick up someone else`s vacant mooring I should not complain if someone borrows mine.
There is a risk of a mooring being overloaded and damaged if the "borrowing" boat is too heavy. There is a risk the mooring is poorly maintained and the "borrower" could be damaged. I have seem multiple boats rafted up on a private mooring (at The Basin in Pittwater) inevitably overloading it, with the block very likely moved out of correct position.
Kuringai MYC provides moorings for members in a popular mooring field(in Refuge Bay on the Hawkesbury),it instructs members not to require non member boats to move off after dark. The "Rules" are quite variable.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I'd be pissed! It's just another example of what the country has come to......let someone else pay but we'll use it.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I guess it would depend....many would not know if the mooring was "rented" from the town..and if it were in a prime anchorage...I think many might be tempted.

I would think some type of registration decal could be affixed showing the legality of the mooring.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
As a mooring user, not an owner, I think it is very bad form to use someone else's property without their permission. How is it any different than just tieing up to someone's private dock in back of their home? And on moorings, it is potentially dangerous to user and owner, putting that big old Hatteras on someone's day sailer mooring for instance.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I'd be pissed! It's just another example of what the country has come to......let someone else pay but we'll use it.
but in many places they are just pirate moorings taking up prime anchorages.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
The potential danger in someone else using a private mooring without the owner's knowledge or permission is the risk that the person may damage the mooring. Before anyone pooh-poohs this, I can tell you that we did this to a mooring at the private island in the San Juans where we own property. We had permission to use the mooring and had done so several times in the past but this time we had a friend raft up to us and then the wind and waves came up.

Bottom line is we snapped the mooring chain which happened during the day when we were on our boats so we were able to motor out of danger just as we were being blown into shallow water. We retained the mooring ball and took it to the island and got the owner's name and number from the caretaker and let him know what we'd done.

My wife and I paid to have the mooring repaired which involved a diver, new chain, etc.

Turned out the mooring was set up for smaller and lighter boats than ours, to say nothing of two of them. Had we known what the hardware consisted of we probably would not have used it with our boat, let alone put two boats on it.

If we had our own mooring setup at our island we would not allow others to use it unless we knew who they were, knew the size and weight of their boat, were confident that they knew how to use the mooring properly, and would be responsible for any damage they might cause.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
but in many places they are just pirate moorings taking up prime anchorages.
Even so, and you are sure that is true, why would you want to put you boat on a mooring of completely unknown capacity and integrity?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
Guru

Except for commercial moorings usually operated/let in conjunction with a Marina, all moorings in NSW state are laid pursuant to a license from Maritime for a fee, and the buoy must carry identification. Maritime regularly patrol mooring areas, an unlicensed mooring would not be there long.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
But if we had our own mooring setup at our island we would not allow others to use it unless we knew who they were, knew the size and weight of their boat, were confident that they knew how to use the mooring properly, and would be responsible for any damage they might cause.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I guess it would depend....many would not know if the mooring was "rented" from the town..and if it were in a prime anchorage...I think many might be tempted.

I would think some type of registration decal could be affixed showing the legality of the mooring.
The mooring has a town number AND my name and my boat names on it. It is pretty clear it is a private mooring.

Our town required an inspection every three years. Any defects discovered in the inspection must be remedied before you can renew your mooring permit. My mooring is reasonably stout (5,000 granite block), 40' of 1-1/4" bottom chain, 50' of 5/6" top chain and a 7/8" double braid (nylon core/polyester sheath) pennant rated for 31,000 lbs. I replace the top chain every three years, the bottom chain as needed and the pennant annually. Consequently I am not worried about it failing. I just don't want someone on the mooring when I want to use it, which could be at any time.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
Guru

So whats the answer to prevent others using your mooring ?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
The mooring has a town number AND my name and my boat names on it. It is pretty clear it is a private mooring.
I have seen moorings with a sign added, like "DO NOT PICK UP THIS MOORING, PENALTY $250 APPLIES, OFFENDERS WILL BE REPORTED TO MARITIME". Hard to enforce but might be worth a try.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #15
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
This year I am keeping both of my boats in the local marina, but I still have a mooring in the harbor. Here in Maine you own and maintain your mooring, but pay the local town a fee to have a mooring in the harbor. Despite keeping our boats at the marina, we use the mooring every time we take either boat out (derigging and rigging for marina tie-up, etc.). We also enjoy going out there to watch sunsets and spend a several nights a month on the mooring. This season we have found visiting boats on our mooring quite a few times. The people have always moved when asked, but it is annoying to have to ask then wait for them to move.

Shoot the next one you find hanging on your mooring ball. Word gets around about the crazy old retired teacher on the Fine ship Tortuga! Problem solved . Afterward, folks take their hat off when they pass you on the sidewalk !!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Don't want to attach to any strange mooring ball. Better to pay rent or anchor (or better yet, dock with water and electricity). Tide pushing boat to port in Ayala Cove:

Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #17
Guru

City: Vermont
It's interesting to see the different norms in the US vs Oz.

As a private mooring owner, I would be shocked to see someone just come tie up to it. As someone else mentioned, how is it different from coming and tying up to my dock for a while? Or parking in my driveway or garage. It's private property, period. That's my feeling.

Now that said, like in Maine, we require a permit for a private mooring, and our local regs allow the Harbor Master to put someone on it temporarily if we are not using it. I would of course respect that, but don't think he has ever put anyone on a private mooring before - just on the town's transient moorings. So if someone showed up on my mooring and told me the harbor master directed them to use it, well, then I'd have to explain to the HM that I was actually using the mooring and that it's not available....
Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
So whats the answer to prevent others using your mooring ?
I would post a sign that has these letters on it...

KYFFHO MY MOORING! (Use your imagination)
Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It's interesting to see the different norms in the US vs Oz.

As a private mooring owner, I would be shocked to see someone just come tie up to it. As someone else mentioned, how is it different from coming and tying up to my dock for a while? Or parking in my driveway or garage. It's private property, period. That's my feeling.

Now that said, like in Maine, we require a permit for a private mooring, and our local regs allow the Harbor Master to put someone on it temporarily if we are not using it. I would of course respect that, but don't think he has ever put anyone on a private mooring before - just on the town's transient moorings. So if someone showed up on my mooring and told me the harbor master directed them to use it, well, then I'd have to explain to the HM that I was actually using the mooring and that it's not available....
Well it has happened three times this week. I guess I have to expect it though. Two yacht club cruises from Massachusetts have visited this week

Actually, here on MDI it isn't particularly unusual for tourists to park in your driveway. My property abuts Acadia National Park and I find several tourist cars in my driveway every summer. I have a tendency to block them in when I find them and then to take my time about moving my truck when they get back. During the recent government shut down it was particularly bad. We had to get the police to come by to keep our road open since tourists were blocking it completely.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #20
Guru

I remembered this. One time a boat needed to be removed from it`s Maritime licensed mooring when the adjacent boat sank. My boat was away from it`s mooring, Maritime asked if I would allow the boat on my mooring for a week or so. I raised the risks of my mooring getting damaged, or it failing and the boat getting damaged, Maritime withdrew the request. An interesting extension of local customs, perhaps not well thought out.