Old 08-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #81

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If one is placed without permit..anyone can tie to it or remove it...no questions asked.

sounds pretty simple to me.
Do not apply this reasoning to lobster/crab pots. Get yourself killed.

Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #82
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I should point out that, to my knowledge, the "destination" moorings I've seen ARE registered with the local municipality. Usually a nominal fee (under $200) is paid, and regular inspections required. Enforcement probably differs from place to place.

Frankly, the town clerk doesn't care if a pristine anchorage that's been used by visiting boats for generations is filled up with mooring balls belonging to local owners who only use them a few times each year. Another hundred bucks in the town coffers is OK with them.

I think my point (if I have one) is that it seems these should operate under different rules than moorings that are actually needed and used.

Leaving room to anchor outside the mooring field is BS. The best place to anchor is close to the protected shore where the depth and holding are just right. If that's where all the moorings are, it's no longer an anchorage IMHO.

In the US, the submerged lands of the state are supposed to be held in the public trust, for all to enjoy. Not just the closest friends of the harbormaster. (Yes, that happens.)

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #83
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
These are the town moorings in Oak Bluffs, MA last week: $40/night/boat. Rafting is mandatory. I know it's a short season but ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt 007.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	43497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt 008.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	43498  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
The land on Marthas Vineyard is even more crowded than that during the summer. My simple rule, not between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #85
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Do not apply this reasoning to lobster/crab pots. Get yourself killed.

That's a separate issue....probably more important because of making a living issue.

Some places there is strict regulation of placement of crab pots. The crabbers are well out numbered and probably just as fearful of boaters as the other way around.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #86

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
That's a separate issue....probably more important because of making a living issue.

Some places there is strict regulation of placement of crab pots. The crabbers are well out numbered and probably just as fearful of boaters as the other way around.
Sorry, didn't make my point clearly, as it is the same thing. Many lobster/crab pots are not "commercial," but that doesn't matter either. The point is, appropriating to yourself the fruit of someone else's effort/stuff, is a tricky business, regardless of your justifications.

A different example. After a heavy snowstorm, someone shovels a parking space. Feeling entitled to their labor, they put a lawn chair in the space to "save" it. Someone else comes along, needs to park, figures the lawn chair placer does not "own" the space, and isnít parked there anyway, so moves the chair and parks. When the shoveler returns, hard feelings and sometimes real ugliness ensues.

I would always try to find someone local to tell me what the local custom is, and I would abide by the local custom whether I agreed with it or not (absent emergency).
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #87
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Sorry, didn't make my point clearly, as it is the same thing. Many lobster/crab pots are not "commercial," but that doesn't matter either. The point is, appropriating to yourself the fruit of someone else's effort/stuff, is a tricky business, regardless of your justifications.

A different example. After a heavy snowstorm, someone shovels a parking space. Feeling entitled to their labor, they put a lawn chair in the space to "save" it. Someone else comes along, needs to park, figures the lawn chair placer does not "own" the space, and isn’t parked there anyway, so moves the chair and parks. When the shoveler returns, hard feelings and sometimes real ugliness ensues.

I would always try to find someone local to tell me what the local custom is, and I would abide by the local custom whether I agreed with it or not (absent emergency).
I look at pirate moorings as a lawn chair left for months in the middle of a public park....

If I sit in it and someone comes along and says I sit there every Saturday for 6 months of the last 10 years....I can get up, say big deal, tough do do...or say prove it is even yours.

What is the lawn chair owner going to do? Call the cops? Beat me to a pulp?

They might work or they might backfire....who knows.

Private use of public space no matter WHAT effort has been put into it is a gamble...you have no leg to stand on when trying to prove something.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote