Old 08-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #61
Guru

City: gulf coast
My power cord comes with me because I need it at the next dock. Home dock lines stay put as does the water hose.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #62
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'm stuck on the FH....
"Keep your F.....g hands off" my moring!
Old 08-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #63

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
I read it as Keep Your Fat F&$@ing Hands Off.
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #64
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Keep your cotton pickin' hands off me! (KYCPHOM?)
Old 08-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #65
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I find it, I guess amusing is the word... people who are blithely content to attach their boat to any old random thing floating in the harbor...
The authors of a local cruising guide saw a chartered houseboat attached to a mooring buoy(no surprise there), except the buoy was not attached to a mooring apparatus. I suppose the constant drifting eventually told them something was wrong.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #66
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Keep your cotton pickin' hands off me! (KYCPHOM?)
Don't think you can say that in our politically correct times anymore. Might be racial.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We had permission to use the mooring and had done so several times in the past but this time we had a friend raft up to us and then the wind and waves came up.

Bottom line is we snapped the mooring chain which happened during the day when we were on our boats so we were able to motor out of danger just as we were being blown into shallow water. We retained the mooring ball and took it to the island and got the owner's name and number from the caretaker and let him know what we'd done.

My wife and I paid to have the mooring repaired which involved a diver, new chain, etc.
Well done! 8 out of 10 would have just left without offering to pay for the repair. The 9th would have tried to sue the owner for failing to properly maintain something he wasn't prevented from using.

Ted
Old 08-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #68
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
My power cord comes with me because I need it at the next dock. Home dock lines stay put as does the water hose.
I don't leave anything behind. Cord, dock lines and hose may be needed at the next destination. Once left a hose, but it wasn't there on my return.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #69
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Once left a hose, but it wasn't there on my return.

Consider the stolen hose an act of kindness. Never surrender custody of your boat water hose unless you do not care about water quality.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #70
Master and Commander

Sir Craig, I've learned my lesson.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #71
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Sir...

I'm humbled

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #72
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"If you feel it reasonable to tie up to my privately maintained mooring then I assume that you will feel it equally reasonable for me to occupy your boat while it is there."

Hardly , most folks moor on property they do not own or rent , so use by other Pilgrims is the norm, worldwide.

FF no need to bring my boat into this.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #73
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'm conflicted over the whole mooring thing. One of the oldest rules of the sea is to leave other people's stuff alone, except maybe to rescue it.

There are people with legitimate needs for a mooring; fishermen, local boat owners who need a place to keep their boat, and any "working waterfront" business. I'd never, never mess with any of them.

Then there are "destination" moorings filling remote anchorages, owned by recreational boat owners who only visit there occasionally.

In my mind, these are two different things. In the US, the Corps of Engineers "owns" the bottom, and has allowed states wide latitude in balancing the rights of citizens to use this public trust. In New England, most states delegate mooring regulation to the local municipality.

This is fine until a popular anchorage is suddenly filled with unused destination moorings.

Is it right for a few people to deny all other citizens the right to use that anchorage?

In Maine, there is a consensus developing that you can pick up a destination mooring at will, and move to another if the owner shows up. Mid-week, this system works fine. On nice weekends, it can become a problem.

We need a better system, but I have no clue what that would be.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #74
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The solution is the banning of all non-approved and not paid for moorings. Have minimal. fair and balanced, rates for sanctioned ones)

If one is placed without permit..anyone can tie to it or remove it...no questions asked.

sounds pretty simple to me.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The solution is the banning of all non-approved and not paid for moorings. Have minimal. fair and balanced, rates for sanctioned ones)

If one is placed without permit..anyone can tie to it or remove it...no questions asked.

sounds pretty simple to me.
That's fine until the chain breaks in the middle of the night, boat hits the rocks and sinks, and the lawyers come out of the woodwork like flies to a fresh turd.

Ted
Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #76
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Not what I am getting at..the only moorings that aren't government...should be completely private, only used by the owner, but they should be in a planned mooring field and paid for.

Anything else cant be "claimed" so tying up to it would have no consequence if the "illegal owner" shows up.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #77
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm conflicted over the whole mooring thing. One of the oldest rules of the sea is to leave other people's stuff alone, except..

In Maine, there is a consensus developing that you can pick up a destination mooring at will, and move to another if the owner shows up. Mid-week, this system works fine. On nice weekends, it can become a problem...
Here you need a place specific license from Maritime to lay mooring apparatus. Maritime patrol mooring areas so unauthorized ones won`t last long. The license is boat specific, and vacancy > 6 weeks is not allowed.
I`m not sure what is meant by "destination mooring",I`m guessing it is a mooring used occasionally and not the boat`s permanent mooring. Again, we have those, and the Rules differ on usage, but they are still laid pursuant to a Maritime license,with an obligation to service the mooring annually which usually involves a mooring service co. lifting, examining and repairing as necessary. Boat insurers also insist on an annual service. Thus the chances of a mooring being in unsafe condition are minimized but imo, if you lift someone else`s mooring it doesn`t come with a warranty that it is in good order.
Thinking about it, a sign on a mooring that it has not been serviced in living memory might discourage borrowers.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:23 AM   #78
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
The 9th would have tried to sue the owner for failing to properly maintain sotmething he wasn't prevented from using.
All the mooring buoys at this private island are individually owned. Some owners allow other property owners on the island to use their mooring buoys when the buoy owners don't need them. These arrangements are made through the island caretaker. It is understood that anyone who uses someone else's mooring buoy does so totally at their own risk.

Had we known the chain connecting this particular mooring ball to the concrete anchor was sized for the owner's boat we most likely never would have used the mooring and we certainly wouldn't have put two heavy boats on it. The caretaker had no idea of the hardware rating and we'd never met the mooring owner; we were just using a mooring the caretaker said we could use.

So the fact we broke the chain was solely on us. After we paid the cost incurred by the owner to have his mooring repaired he said we were welcome to continue using it. But now that we know the sizing of the hardware we will most likely not take him up on this unless we know the weather will be very settled during our stay. Instead we use our own ground tackle or one of the other moorings that are owned by folks with boats similar in size, weight, and windage as ours.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:40 AM   #79
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Don't know about other marinas but in ours water hoses left coiled on a dock or wrapped around a dock box are highly prized items for dogs to pee on to say nothing of gulls pooping on them. Having witnessed the dog pee thing about four million times we would never leave a water hose exposed on the dock unless the only thing we were ever going to use it for was washing the boat.

We have no reason to take our water hose with us on the boat but we leave it locked in the dock box when we aren't actually using it. We rarely need our ground power cable with us on the boat as most of the places we go don't have ground power. So that, too, gets coiled up and stowed in the dock box when we leave.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #80
FF
Guru

The simplest system is to mark any mooring ball with the boats tonnage.

Commercial Rental moorings should be marked with a different color ball, and price.

" Private Moorings" can only exist in areas where there is a "Queen Ann Grant" which allowes the use of areas of the water bottom from before the Revolution , these are still in force.

If you have to move at midnight , thats the price of the system.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote