Old 08-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Rented a mooring ball in Trinidad one time and left the mooring long enough to take the boat to the customs dock. My mooring line and float where left on the mooring ball. When I returned an hour later a local had used my mooring line and float to tie up to the mooring ball I had rented. I had to hover until they returned to get my line and float.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #42
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I find it, I guess amusing is the word, that there are so many people who get tremendously over wrought about what kind of ground tackle equipment they have, and people who are blithely content to attach their boat to any old random thing floating in the harbor, and some who apparently are both. I mean, really now folks...

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #43
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I think we have different cultures here....and not all are on the same page.

Where I am in Cape May...there is a huge pirate mooring field taking up much of the best anchoring in the harbor.

I used to have one and would be pissed if someone was tied up when I came back...but I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if I wanted to complain. What is worse....for decades this pirate mooring field has left abandoned anchors and chain all over the place, ruining it for an anchorage even if the pirate moorings were banished. There is no harbor master and no money funding organization versus chaos and damage.

You are in an area where organized mooring fields are the norm and I agree with them...if the town wants one and organizes it and sets rules against random pickup of private moorings great! I hope there are reasonable moorings available for transients or available anchorages...but so be it if there isn't...sorry I can't stop and enjoy. But I feel the locals have that right up to a point where it is for local convenience and not exclusion.
That does sound like a mess. At times I get frustrated with our regulations, but compared to what you are dealing with, they are a good thing. We have quite a few transient moorings that are allocated by the harbor master, and anchoring space for a couple hundred boats, though if I see 30 it's a huge number. So all are welcome.

I think the moral of the story here is that it's important to find out what the local policy/practice is wherever you go, then be courteous and follow it.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #44
Guru

City: gulf coast
If you feel it reasonable to tie up to my privately maintained mooring then I assume that you will feel it equally reasonable for me to occupy your boat while it is there.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #45
FF
Guru

"If you feel it reasonable to tie up to my privately maintained mooring then I assume that you will feel it equally reasonable for me to occupy your boat while it is there."

Hardly , most folks moor on property they do not own or rent , so use by other Pilgrims is the norm, worldwide.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
The mooring has a town number AND my name and my boat names on it. It is pretty clear it is a private mooring.
This is pretty clear cut. In a harbor environment with rules they should be followed.

My beef is more in a less or uncontrolled environment with these so call pirate moorings which is a different situation than what you are describing and perhaps a different argument. Yours, labelled the way they are, yes someone shouldn't pick that up. Turn it the other way and apologies for going OT but if you owned some water front property with a small bay and enough room for you to anchor in front of your property and then someone put a mooring there and didn't use it? That's more my frustration.
jb cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #47
Guru

Great FF let me know where your slip is so that I may tie up. and I'll be happy to leave my boat on your mooring while I go ashore.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #48
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Rented a mooring ball in Trinidad one time and left the mooring long enough to take the boat to the customs dock. My mooring line and float where left on the mooring ball. When I returned an hour later a local had used my mooring line and float to tie up to the mooring ball I had rented. I had to hover until they returned to get my line and float.
you missed a prime opportunity to raft to them and drink their beer..
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #49

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
As a mooring user, not an owner, I think it is very bad form to use someone else's property without their permission. How is it any different than just tieing up to someone's private dock in back of their home? And on moorings, it is potentially dangerous to user and owner, putting that big old Hatteras on someone's day sailer mooring for instance.
I totally agree. I would not dream of using someone else's private mooring buoy except in case of emergency. And I would appreciate but not expect the same courtesy given to me. As was said earlier, that is what this country is coming to, unfortunate as that may be. I do not have an answer to how to keep people off a private mooring however.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
you missed a prime opportunity to raft to them and drink their beer..
Hollywood
The crime/murder rate in Trinidad is so high one is careful about doing anything.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #51
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Many marinas reserve the right to rent your slip to transients in your absence.

Make sure you have a good working relationship with them or invoke depoyed, married guy rule #2 when you travel..."call home, when you get home, before you go home"...to avoid any suprises.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #52
Guru

Indeed out club rents out our slip when we notify them we will be gone but nothing is done without permission.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #53

Just wondering, do you get a refund if your slip is rented out when you're not there?
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Just wondering, do you get a refund if your slip is rented out when you're not there?
Usually no as they reserve the right to....
Old 08-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #55
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I would post a sign that has these letters on it...

KYFFHO MY MOORING! (Use your imagination)
I'm stuck on the FH....

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #56

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
very astute comments I have learned by experience - so they must be true.
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #57
FF
Guru

"Many marinas reserve the right to rent your slip to transients in your absence."

True , that is why you must take all dock lines , power hoses , water regulators etc with you when you go for a longer cruise.

The transients will decide another transient left them .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Many marinas reserve the right to rent your slip to transients in your absence."

True , that is why you must take all dock lines , power hoses , water regulators etc with you when you go for a longer cruise.

The transients will decide another transient left them .

Never experienced that. I always restore everything to its original position and found others have done the same. I certainly would not want to undo all my home set up every time I left for a few days
Old 08-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #59
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
With a 50 amp power cord priced at over $500, it goes with me if we are Marina hopping and gets locked in our dock box when we are anchor hopping. If someone needs my water hose that badly they can have it.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #60
Guru

Heck some places...you are wise to lock cords and splitters all the time. Even when sleeping on the boat.