Old 08-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
We do not have moorings in our area. What is the advantage of using a mooring instead of anchoring? Seems I know what my anchor will hold, I have no idea what a mooring would hold. No experience here with them just trying to learn... Also is it OK to anchor near a mooring field if it is not marked?

Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #22

City: Freeport Tx
May not like what I think you put it on public water so it should be for everyone to use

Pure pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure pleasure View Post
May not like what I think you put it on public water so it should be for everyone to use

Do you have the same attitude about marina docks?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #24

I knew that would come up marines pay taxes for the use and get permits to put them in ware I'm at all moorings are used on first come.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Well it has happened three times this week. I guess I have to expect it though. Two yacht club cruises from Massachusetts have visited this week

Actually, here on MDI it isn't particularly unusual for tourists to park in your driveway. My property abuts Acadia National Park and I find several tourist cars in my driveway every summer. I have a tendency to block them in when I find them and then to take my time about moving my truck when they get back. During the recent government shut down it was particularly bad. We had to get the police to come by to keep our road open since tourists were blocking it completely.
Mass-holes! Oh, wait a minute....

But wow, I'd be very frustrated by all your describe. Time to buy a bulldozer.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #26
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Quote:
I pay an annual fee for the privilege of having a mooring. It also took 10 years on the waiting list to get the right to pay the fee to have my own mooring. So I am in the same position as the marina.

Note - here in Maine the towns have control of the harbors in their area. Setting a mooring requires getting permission from the town and paying an annual fee. So, although it is public water, it is highly regulated public water. My mooring contract also restricts my mooring to my boats. Hence my boat names are on the mooring.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #27
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Mass-holes! Oh, wait a minute....

But wow, I'd be very frustrated by all your describe. Time to buy a bulldozer.
I couldn't resist when I saw your are from Massachusetts. No need for a bulldozer, a 3/4 ton truck with a snow plow does the job adequately
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Should my dock be open to use by anyone?

Should I be able to haul any crab trap or lobster trip and take the contents? They are all located in public waters?

If I park my car in a public parking lot, does that make it yours if you want it?

Ownership of property and the location of property are two completely different things.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Post a sign for unauthorized vehicle parkers with a phone number where they can collect their vehicle after paying the towing company.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I couldn't resist when I saw your are from Massachusetts. No need for a bulldozer, a 3/4 ton truck with a snow plow does the job adequately
Don't worry, no offense taken. I've actually lived in Mass the least of anywhere, and New Hampshire the longest.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #31

Well guess that's different the ones I have seen are all public or commercial when you said that you put it in was just thinking how much of a nav. Hazard they must be now would you like someone to anchor right next to it. The only ones around me are in 3000 ft so I will not be anchoring will just drift all night
Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:

Should I be able to haul any crab trap or lobster trip and take the contents? They are all located in public waters?

If I park my car in a public parking lot, does that make it yours if you want it?

Ownership of property and the location of property are two completely different things.
Huge difference in a properly registered mooring and a pirate mooring...

Any more than me squatting in the city playground preventing your kids from playing what they want.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #33
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
In the last 5 years I have found a strange boat on my mooring but once. My mooring has an annual permit fee and strict inspection procedures. I do not put my boat name on the ball as most do. Mine is simply labeled "Private," and I think that works.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Quote:

Not fair arguments imo. a dock obviously belongs to a land owner. A car in a public spot? No that is your spot. But an empty mooring is like you putting a sign in an empty parking spot saying my spot! Even if they don't take your mooring, you've removed that spot as an available anchoring spot. A mooring in a busy town harbor area? Maybe. Moorings a little of the beaten path, empty in a nice anchorage? No. Just wrong really. Think about it. It's like permanently putting your chair in the best spot on the beach whether you are there or not and then coming on a site and complaining you found someone in your empty chair? Permanent moorings where your boat is every day? Fine. Moorings for just in case you want to watch a sunset? Please not. The water is for everyone, lets share it.
jb cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #35
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
We were in Chicago (first time) a couple of weeks ago and saw a few small marinas and NUMEROUS mooring balls with vessels attached on the lake front during our river/ Segway tours. You guys have an awesome city. Loved the blue water of Lake Michigan. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439608443.965721.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	43167Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439608484.453442.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	43168

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #36
Guru

If we take where I boat, there are 3 large private mooring fields. Save a few all are used occasionally by the owners who permanently moor elsewhere. These are often used by non owners, without permission. Some Clubs provide them for members. Smart owners may not fit the line usually found, to discourage borrowing. Then there are a considerable number of National Parks moorings, well maintained and provided free for 24 hours max, in beautiful places, and in high demand.
Maybe the Aussie ethos sees us usually more relaxed about mooring borrowing. That said, if I returned to my personal mooring at night to find an unmanned boat on it, I`d be mightily pissed off.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #37
Guru

I guess it all depends on what the local rules are for mooring use. I can only think of a couple of ports where every mooring is available for anyone to grab on a first come first serve basis. But it's clearly spelled out that it works that way. I've been to plenty of places where there are specifically designated moorings that are first-come-first-serve, grab what you want, but it's always only applied to some clearly designated set of moorings. More frequently, the harbor master will assign you a mooring from a pool of transient moorings plus unused private moorings, but you ask first and are granted use of a mooring.

I think it's rude and presumptuous to assume you can go up to any mooring and use it without some explicit indication that you can. Same with a dock.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #38
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
When I read the first several posts I had a question about "How would a boater know it was private property?". Then I read how you had it marked and that answered my question.

As one who is not in an area where there are moorings, I would not have known it was "illegal" to moor there unless it was marked as private. If I saw that it was marked as private I would not use it, but that's just me.

Is it OK for boaters to anchor in that area, as long as they're outside the mooring field?
Old 08-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #39
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
I guess it all depends on what the local rules are for mooring use. I can only think of a couple of ports where every mooring is available for anyone to grab on a first come first serve basis. But it's clearly spelled out that it works that way. I've been to plenty of places where there are specifically designated moorings that are first-come-first-serve, grab what you want, but it's always only applied to some clearly designated set of moorings. More frequently, the harbor master will assign you a mooring from a pool of transient moorings plus unused private moorings, but you ask first and are granted use of a mooring.

I think it's rude and presumptuous to assume you can go up to any mooring and use it without some explicit indication that you can. Same with a dock.
I think we have different cultures here....and not all are on the same page.

Where I am in Cape May...there is a huge pirate mooring field taking up much of the best anchoring in the harbor.

I used to have one and would be pissed if someone was tied up when I came back...but I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if I wanted to complain. What is worse....for decades this pirate mooring field has left abandoned anchors and chain all over the place, ruining it for an anchorage even if the pirate moorings were banished. There is no harbor master and no money funding organization versus chaos and damage.

You are in an area where organized mooring fields are the norm and I agree with them...if the town wants one and organizes it and sets rules against random pickup of private moorings great! I hope there are reasonable moorings available for transients or available anchorages...but so be it if there isn't...sorry I can't stop and enjoy. But I feel the locals have that right up to a point where it is for local convenience and not exclusion.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #40
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Where I am in Cape May...there is a huge pirate mooring field taking up much of the best anchoring in the harbor.

Cool!! Was Blackbeard there?? Any of that Somalian Riff Raff show up?? !!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️