Mooring Buoys/Balls Florida and Northward

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard

Veteran Member
Hello,
We finally bought out first trawler. We have had some trawler training and have bare boat chartered a GB 36, similar to our new boat.

We will be traveling from mid-Florida up to Charleston in the ICW soon.

I have the Skipper Bob marina guide, anchorages guide, and an ICW facilities guide. We want to anchor out, or use a mooring ball as much as possible. But I cannot find a guide or many listing for which municipalities or marinas have mooring balls, which may be our preference.

How would we find better information on mooring buoys? There seems to be plenty about the Keys, but little about where we will be traveling.

Thank you for any assistance,
Wizard

Call ahead to the marinas to check. Or, as we do when cruising the ICW, anchor out. If you need to figure out the best anchor, just ask.

Howard

In an area where there are Private buoys it is fine to pick up one O'nite.

Use your line thru their mooring eye so there is no chafe of their line as it passes off the deck.

Sadly the US folks do not mark the buoys with the boats size or tonnage , but a check of nearby boats usually is sufficient.

You MUST depart if the owner returns.

Formal mooring fields at Stuart (well inland from the ICW), Vero Beach, Titusville, St. Augustine, Fernandina Beach, Beaufort SC (kind of). I would never use a private mooring unless I knew it was OK with the owners and what it was designed to hold.. I've seen them used for little day sailers.

Lots of nice places to anchor on that route.

A reputable up-to-date ICW cruising guide will probably have what you are looking for. Active Captain might also.

You never know the condition of a strange mooring. It may be abandoned or not serviced for many years. In the harbor where we have a mooring, you could be fined for using it without a permit. Your own ground tackle is a far better choice.

As already mentioned, Active Captain is a great resource for current information on moorings. When I cruise, I try to lay the trip out completely in advance, or at least a couple of days ahead. This gives you the ability to contact whoever oversees the moorings or free docks a day or more in advance. Most municipalities have a minor fee for transient mooring use.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom