Old 09-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #21

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
I'm not all that familiar with picking up moorings but this seems an excellent mooring service and procedure at Avalon. I had to watch the video a couple of times to fully understand it.

Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #22
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Pull up to the ball at the stern side gate, slip the free end of a mooring line through the ring and then through the eye of the line. Pull in the line. As the boat starts to fall back downwind, move the line quickly to the bow. If there is heavy weather coming or if we will be there a while, we will add a 2nd line via dinghy with the loop end interlocked with the ring.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #23
Guru

You are correct. Avalon Harbor has an excellent mooring service and procedure. We spent a week in Avalon and had to move on the last two days to make room for the mooring ball owners. Nothing to it. You just pick up the wand with the mooring line attached, drop the eye of the mooring line over your Sampson post, and run the lead weighted sand line aft to secure to a cleat. The sheriff's deputies are always willing to help newbies or single-handers. After many years of visiting Avalon, we were not boarded by the "poop police" to put dye in our heads. Seems that once you have established a track record of compliance they no longer do the dye thing. Of course, any violation results in banishment from the island for one year. In the photo, we have just entered Avalon Harbor and being greeted by the Harbor Patrol for payment and assignment of the mooring ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina 2015 009 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	45087  
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
I'm not all that familiar with picking up moorings but this seems an excellent mooring service and procedure at Avalon. I had to watch the video a couple of times to fully understand it.
I had to watch it several times because I did not hear a single word she said!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
I might have to watch that a few times myself.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #26
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Mooring ball question...

My bow is 10' off the water and I found a great way to catch mooring balls single handed.

Just prior to reaching the mooring field run a long line, (approximately the length of your boat)from your forward bow cleat down the side of your trawler on the outside of your vessel and tie it off at your midship cleat.

Pull up to the mooring ball nice and slow based on wind and current bringing your boat to a stop with the mooring ball right at midship. Go the mid ship cleat get your line and feed it through the mooring ball pendent and walk the line back up to the bow tying it off to the opposite bow cleat and reel in the line as the boat swings around.

Works every time, of course it's easier if you have a side boarding door that can be locked open when approaching the ball, just practice being able to bring the ball right beside your hull at a slow speed so you can stop her right beside the ball.

Good luck of course other boaters will be watching as we all do and you will impress them with your skills.

gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote