Old 08-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Mooch Take 2

I'm looking forward to becoming a boat mooch once again. After close to 4 years of use and upgrades to my Parents' mainship 34 mkIII, the boat was sold in July, turning my attention back to my own little bowrider for day trips and saying goodbye to multi-day cruises on the Bay.

I've enjoyed this forum for about 4 years now, came on here primarily to learn about shopping for trawlers and configuring best practices for configuring electrical and mechanical systems. My father bought the Mainship in good shape but sparsely equipped. The boat had been used for day trips and we planned to use it short cruises and summertime relaxation which really drove the desire for a generator. Our family has owned and maintained runabouts, sailboats and fishing boats for years but this boat was a significant step up in size and commitment. I'm a mechanical engineer, US Sailing keelboat, cruising & bareboat instructor and my father and I both have extensive auto repair and fiberglass repair/fabrication experience but the tips and experience I learned here about what works for different styles of cruising/budgets and vessels has been of great value. It was a great boat, was cruised throughout the Chesapeake by both it's owners and my own young family of 5. It also served as a great fishing platform, hosting our annual spring fishing trip yielding a few trophies. It was an excellent head sea boat and the Perkins diesel always ran like a top. Like many on this site, the old 34' mainship served as an excellent entry platform and offered incredible value. We successfully self-installed a new diesel generator, replaced the missing auto pilot, re-bedded or replaced every hull fitting, re-cored the swim platform and redid the barrier coat. Fortunately this boat did not have any deck delamination issues that so many of the neglected ones have. In a rare stroke of luck and smart spending, the boat was sold for more than the 2015 purchase prices, in fact the 2019 sale price covered the cost of every major upgrade. Hopefully it will serve it's new owner just as well, he is installing a bow thruster and plans to set off on the loop. While it was bittersweet to see the boat we thoroughly enjoyed and upgraded, the next adventure started this week.

The new ride is a 2002 Mainship 390, the boat was settled on Monday and my folks set off from North Port Michigan on Tuesday bound for Southern Maryland with the previous owner onboard for the first two days. It's a single screw, 370 yanmar powered version and a 2017-2018 loop veteran. While most loopers plan for a year or more prior to setting off, this trip had far less prep time and will be my parents longest journey by a long shot, their first boating out of the country and first experience with locks. By all accounts, they will be traveling some of the prettiest waterways of the loop with great seasonal timing. While anxious to get off of the larger bodies of water prior to encountering any weather delays, they are getting acquainted to their surroundings and new vessel. They should reach the Trent Severn early next week. I'll be joining them somewhere along the Hudson for the rest of the trip but in the mean time I'm living vicariously through their adventures and praying for a safe journey. If anyone is traveling through the area and sees State of Bliss, tell Bob and Trish hi and remind them to relax.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
Guru

Join my folks at Liberty Landing Marina in Jersey City today. Looking forward to helping the final push towards home. They came a long way and have learned the nuances of the new boat. Weather looks good, hope to make Atlantic City tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
Guru

Looking across the Hudson to Manhattan
Attached Thumbnails
20190908_162311.jpg   20190908_162315.jpg   20190908_163904.jpg  
Old 09-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I met up with them one evening on the Erie Canal last week. Glad the trip is progressing well.

The 390 is much more boat than the 34 MY!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190902_172411651.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	93674
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Guru

They say hi and we're impressed by your singlehanding
Old 09-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I am impressed that they're ski bums :-)
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
Guru

Almost home, on the Bohemia river tonight in our home state of Maryland. Weather has been great and allowed smooth passages each day.