Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #21
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Glad to hear all well. Having sold all my boats I dream of getting another one someday. Living life vicariously through Janices eyes. Keep it up Janice and live the good life.Larry

LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #22

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Gulf Shores and Orange Beach areas of Alabama got hit pretty hard. I'm at Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores and with our floating docks we came through with no problems at all despite heavy rain and winds clocked at 57 mph. Pirate's Cove in Josephine, Alabama had about 2 inches of water in the bar. The parking lot and docks are still under water. My buddy's boat house on Wolf Bay got washed away. But I drove out there this PM and they tell me the wood boat festival is still scheduled for this weekend at Pirate's Cove. Ya'll come!

Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
Guru

City: Pensacola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
Gulf Shores and Orange Beach areas of Alabama got hit pretty hard. I'm at Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores and with our floating docks we came through with no problems at all despite heavy rain and winds clocked at 57 mph. Pirate's Cove in Josephine, Alabama had about 2 inches of water in the bar. The parking lot and docks are still under water. My buddy's boat house on Wolf Bay got washed away. But I drove out there this PM and they tell me the wood boat festival is still scheduled for this weekend at Pirate's Cove. Ya'll come!
The water in Pirates Cove is not necessarily a bad thing! Cleans out the "Riff Raff"...
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #24
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I hope the dogs made out OK!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pirate's cove dogs.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	29559  
Old 05-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #25
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWW View Post
Glad to hear all well. Having sold all my boats I dream of getting another one someday. Living life vicariously through Janices eyes. Keep it up Janice and live the good life.Larry
Well, you're going to have to sit under a drip. The doggone skylight needs to be re-bed -- the one in my galley. Of course I also discovered the one the mechanics installed (for the come-along to get out the gas beast) also leaks. A two-fer.

The galley has been an issue for quite some time. In that regard I learned something: When dealing with Plexiglas, the thicker the better. Thinner stuff (like the 1/4" I have for instance) expands and contracts, thus it will leak eventually. However Lexan is the opposite: thick leaks and thin doesn't. So once it dries out I'll go up there, scrape off all the bedding compounds that have failed and have a go at it again. AGAIN.

The initial install I knew would leak. The company used 5200 which doesn't do well in sunlight. I said so but wasn't argumentative enough to have my voice heard. And it did leak a couple years later. Next tried UV4000. Ditto results. Again with Life Caulk. Ditto. Now silicone is patching but that's failing too. It needs to come off and be redone from start to finish. In all that spare time I would rather spend doing other stuff. Sigh.

I'm sure glad I live in the Sunshine State. It'd be a shame if it rained a lot here. (said while laughing) And today the skies are blue so it's a great day to dry out.

It's a boat... should have named her Theory 'cause everything works there.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
It's a boat... should have named her Theory 'cause everything works there.
That line is priceless Janice, it should be my new signature line.

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

The tutorial above is what I follow to the letter in all of my re-bedding projects and has worked flawlessly so far. Good luck with your project aboard Theory(I mean Seaweed)

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #27
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have been using butyl tape for about 3 years and had good results. In fact I did rebed my fwd cabin hatch a couple of years ago no problems yet. Inexpensive and available most hardware stores including HD and LOWes.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #28
Guru

City: Pensacola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I hope the dogs made out OK!
Lol
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #29
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
That line is priceless Janice, it should be my new signature line.

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

The tutorial above is what I follow to the letter in all of my re-bedding projects and has worked flawlessly so far. Good luck with your project aboard Theory(I mean Seaweed)
Thanks. I'll give it a shot and it looks like my latest "good idea" (rolling eyes) aka the silicone, was a not-brilliant move. Tomorrow I'll be up there and sand it all off. Sigh.

Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The butyl is good. I know I used that on the portlights and that helped.

Gosh I hate sanding. It's just not fun. And it's filthy! [See? I am a girl.]

And back with bandwidth again. My month rolls over on the 7th and I managed to use 3.962 gigs of my 4gig allotment last month.

Thank you for the pages on pbase. I'd seen them before but forgotten the details. Got it now and will give it a go. I still have to pick up a piece of plexi or lexan, in all that spare time of mine.

And the Theory saying? It's not mine/mine. I'm sure I saw/heard it before some place else.