Monkey Boards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebel112r

Guru
Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
North Pacific 42
These mounted to a Troller. Never had seen before. Skipper said, they helped while drifting, and when running. Used in conjunction with more traditional stabilizers. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428900499.547809.jpg

Bat wings, roll chocks...

Those plates have some serious anodic protection going on. The boards were a common add-on to many PNW Trollers, most of them addded post build, to do something to hinder the roll - so I understand.

Never heard them called monkey boards before.

Never heard them called monkey boards before.

Here's the most common definition, at least as of a quick on-line search. However, it may be a very localized term for the simple boat stabilizers that were pictured.

monkey board n. a small or narrow elevated platform on which a person stands (to operate a vehicle or machinery, or to perform other work). Editorial Note: While early in its history monkey board referred to a conductor’s place on wheeled vehicles such as buses, trams, and trolleys, it is now in common use on oil-drilling platforms and also appears in other industries. More or less synonymous terms, often used in a nautical context, include monkey bridge, monkey island, flying bridge, and flying gangway.

"monkey rudder" is a term used for the rudders behind side wheeled steamboat's wheels. The main rudder would be located at the stern of the boat as was typical and the monkey rudders worked behind the wheel wash. It is a steam boat term. Steamer President was the last that I know of that had monkey rudders in the U.S.
dan

Not to create a thread creep but that brought to mind another steam boat term, I guess its mind creep on my part. "Donkey Boiler" was the temporary boiler boat that was placed alongside a steam boat to provide steam power for generators, pumps, etc.. when the main boat's boilers were down for repair or maintenance. Directly from that came the term "Donkey Man" similar to the army's Jodie. Brought alongside the crew member's significant other when the steam boat was underway and the crew was out on the river. I still use that term today.

dan

Not to create a thread creep but that brought to mind another steam boat term, I guess its mind creep on my part. "Donkey Boiler" was the temporary boiler boat that was placed alongside a steam boat to provide steam power for generators, pumps, etc.. when the main boat's boilers were down for repair or maintenance. Directly from that came the term "Donkey Man" similar to the army's Jodie. Brought alongside the crew member's significant other when the steam boat was underway and the crew was out on the river. I still use that term today.

dan

Donkey Boilers were seen on sailing vessels without steam propulsion. There are 2 ship wrecks, multi masted sailing vessels, sunk off Delmarva that have these boilers to run some sort of machinery on the ship.

Edit: Apparently they were used to run winches and Capstans on sailing ships.

Ted

Last edited:
Here is a land-based donkey engine. Was used logging; in this case Vancouver Island.

232323232%7Ffp53432%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3238459446%3B5%3Anu0mrj

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom