Monk 36 after 1992

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don Shephard

Vessel Name
MV - Calusa
Vessel Make
28 Cape Dory Hard top Cruiser
I am considering purchasing a 1995 Monk 36 with a M135 Perkins and interested in how the engine has preforms in this application. Assuming the water line length is 33', the true hull speed would be about 7 to 7.5 knots.
If you own one of these boats what's your cruising speed and fuel burn?

I am reading, that parts can be difficult to get for some of the Perkins engines. This is a 20 year old install. Should I be concerned for parts availability for the M135.

On the top of the engine is a decal "Detroit Diesel Perkins." Was Detroit affiliated with Perkins? Is that related to the Sabre name?

Obviously, this is contingent on good maintenance, I have read that this is a 12000/ 15000 hour engine. Would someone like to weigh in on engine life.

Don Shephard

Last edited by a moderator:
Perkins parts whether older (say 1980s) or newer (say Perkins Sabre) are not that tough to find. If it is a Perkins Sabre M135 (the engine placards or book will tell you) as opposed to a Perkins Range 4 M135, you have one very good engine with all parts current and easy to find. What engine precisely?

Any routine parts for that engine can be found at worst at TAD or generally much closer to your home port. If a non routine part (crank, pistons, head etc) is needed due to owner neglect or improper exhaust setup, find that out with your engine survey - and then maybe walk from the deal.

Fuel burn about 2.0 to 2.5 max gph at 7 knots in either case. I am not aware of a DD tie in, maybe a dealer thing, go back to the book. Cat has owned Perkins for 15 years. Engine life, depends on upkeep to this point.

Last edited:
Detroit Diesel Perkins

1990 - Perkins Engines Inc. appointed Detroit Diesel as their Master Distributor for North America, and with the exception of PPC, all of the existing Perkins Distributors in North America were cancelled. Even though PPC was not cancelled it lost its exclusive territory and was forced to compete with the local Detroit Diesel Distributor for sales. This competition resulted in a fierce price war which in turn gave PPC smaller profit margins and a smaller market share. The time had come for Tom Tracy to try something different and something new and he did.

Perkins Power Corp.: Perkins Engines, Power Units, Generators, Parts, Service

sunchaser
Guru

Interesting - the boat has a Range 4 M135. I did not know there was a difference between Range 4 M135 and the M135. Can you clarify.

Don

Boatdiesel's website - engines section - has all the Perkins and Perkins Sabre details for both 135 HP engines. The PS was introduced in the late 90s or around 2000.

Perkins Sabre vs Perkins Range 4 M135

sunchaser
Guru

In your statement " If it is a Perkins Sabre M135 (the engine placards or book will tell you) as opposed to a Perkins Range 4 M135, you have one very good engine with all parts current and easy to find." I assumed you were implying that the Ranger 4 M135 was not as reliable - or that there were issues with part availability.

In the world of diesel power engineering there can be new introductions of new engines that have major issues, while earlier or later models preform flawlessly.

Is there anyone out there in Trawler world that has a Perkins Range 4 M135, whats has been you experience.

Don

Lots of Perkins 6.354M Range 4 engines out there chugging along. Can't speak for the Sabres. We just finished a 4 week trip. 504 miles and used 110 gallons which was better than I expected. Our normal cruise is 1800 rpm, which gives us 6.7-6.9 knots, no current. My engine has approx 4600 hours and used 1 quart of oil on the trip.

I assumed you were implying that the Ranger 4 M135 was not as reliable - or that there were issues with part availability. Don

Not at all. Just letting you know one is current and one was discontinued 17 or so years ago.

High Wire,

The engine I am trying to learn about is the range 4 M135 - I don't think it is the same as your Perkins 6.354M Range 4 - The spec sheet I was able to down load shows the range 4 M135 engine is 5.8 litres - I am not sue that it is the same engine ????????? - Interesting note - I assumed the M135 stood for the bhp - The spec sheet on the range 4 M135 show that the engine is 120 bhp? Not sure what that's all about either?

Sunchaser,

Thanks for the clarification

High Wire,

The engine I am trying to learn about is the range 4 M135 - I don't think it is the same as your Perkins 6.354M Range 4 - The spec sheet I was able to down load shows the range 4 M135 engine is 5.8 litres - I am not sue that it is the same engine ????????? - Interesting note - I assumed the M135 stood for the bhp - The spec sheet on the range 4 M135 show that the engine is 120 bhp? Not sure what that's all about either?

Sunchaser,

Thanks for the clarification

5.8 liters = 354 cubic inches or 6 cyl . 354 cubic inch or 6.354
120 hp is NET or shaft hp delivered at the transmission output coupling.
135 is at the flywheel without water pumps, alternators, and transmission losses.
Bottom line I think is the 6.354 Range 4 and 1995 M135 are the same block and guts with some improvements over the years where needed. The Perkins Sabre is a completely different engine.

Thank you so much - that explains some of the replies referencing 6.354.

Don
28 Cape Dory Hard Top Cruiser

No, at this point I am researching boats in my price range and with features that I want.

I will need to sell my existing boat to pull the tiger on the next boat.

Back
Top Bottom