Old 02-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #21
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Huh. I thought our Carver 3207 rode pretty well for a boat that was just 12,000 lbs dry weight. Not a knee jerk defense of a boat we owned, I just genuinely thought it rode well and had a nicely designed hull for a modestly priced boat. Had a nice deep and sharp forefoot (even though it did flatten out toward the transom) unlike the Monk 36 so it would cut through pretty well. Did roll a lot though. Too light.
When I sea trial a monk 36 or a Carver 32 I have the pilot make 360 degree turns at hull speed so that the boat crosses it's own wake. I love to watch the face of the prospective buyer as it turns white (along with their knuckles on whatever they are holding on to). I guess its relative or what you are used to but I don't think I could call that Carver forefoot "deep". I also think that a deep forefoot and a very shallow, near flat aft section can make for an extremely skittish boat in even the mildest following seas.

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #22

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Hawg. A fellow in our marina has one, a 05-06 powered with a Cummins B series, I think 300 hp. He and I brought it up from Seattle to Birch Bay last spring. Cruised in the fog at 1800 making 8 knots. Weather was good for trip. Nice boat, well equipped, gen and watermaker, spares spares spares. Seem like a great boat for the NW. Too much exterior wood for me.

Rebel112r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld;
The number of "great" boats as described by owners differs pretty significantly from the number of "great" boats from those that run many different boats under many conditions. I think owner input is important but in my experience it has to be tempered with a little "ego boosting" and lack of knowing better to a degree.
Thanks.
I agree with everything you said especially those two comments.

None of us are likely to bash our own boats until after we have sold them. Sunchaser might have told his friends the Nissan woes while he owned it but I'm guessing he wouldn't have made a habit of telling the world on facebook. Big ticket items, even more so.

Quote:
Whenever you are convinced only one "boat" will do the trick...you either accept known issues with that type boat or fly to a boat where you can really put it though its paces.
My requirements are very flexible but I won't compromise on comfort, either running in the frequent moderate seas of our coast or on the hook. The comfort of my "crew" is even more important than my own.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #24
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Monk 36

Desolation Sound Charters has a Monk 36 in its fleet which you could charter. In fact you may be able to make an arrangement to take it for a sea trial for a price if you are serious.

http://www.desolationsoundyachtchart...m/fleet/power/

We've seen it around several times and met the owner in Shoal Bay. We went aboard and had a drink with them. It seemed like a really nice boat but small for our tastes. We also met an owner in Shearwater who claimed to have the last one built in Canada. The owner kept his boat in Gibsons, I believe. Both of these boats were immaculate.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Desolation Sound Charters has a Monk 36 in its fleet which you could charter. In fact you may be able to make an arrangement to take it for a sea trial for a price if you are serious
Yup, thanks Jim. Covered those thoughts in post #18 above.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #26
Guru

Rebel; thanks for jumping in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r
Too much exterior wood for me.
See; different perspectives. The little bit of exterior wood, I could easily live with.

Quote:
A fellow in our marina has one. He and I brought it up from Seattle to Birch Bay last spring.
Now there is an interesting case. Assuming you are in Drayton Harbor, he either goes out in the lumpy stuff or stays home often. How many times over the past year did he sit at the dock while you went out? Or an even better measurement, how many times when he sat would you have gone out in his boat?
Old 02-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #27

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
We did take an early trip to Sucia last April from Birch Bay Marina, conditions were 20+ mph out of sw. I left about 45 minutes earlier and it was rough. I decided to take 3-4 footers on stbd bow and when we got close in to Matia made the turn to the NW and on to Fossil Bay. Things got tossed around making the turn. The Monk headed straight across, with seas more on the beam. He docked about the same time as us, said it was a little nasty but not scary bad. He ran at 8 kts compared to my 6 for the trip. Hull design may be similiar, the NP being a modified CHB design, I don't know what the Monk is.
Rebel112r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Re the GB comparitive thought on post #7 I think they are quite different. From what I've seen the GB is lower and probably has a lower CG. There is considerably more deadrise amidships and less windage.
Did the Monk come more often as a single screw? The boat may not be as seaworthy w twins but if the Monks mentioned were singles the much lower weight may account for the ride difference .... or at least some of it.
Do most trawlers pound in 4' seas?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r;
20+ mph out of sw. I decided to take 3-4 footers on stbd bow and when we got close in to Matia made the turn to the NW and on to Fossil Bay. Things got tossed around making the turn. The Monk headed straight across, with seas more on the beam...said it was a little nasty but not scary bad. He ran at 8 kts compared to my 6 for the trip.
Thanks, I keep forgetting about your Village Marina
That's pretty routine conditions and a typical crossing that could come up at any time around here. I'll have to find one to look at now.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #30
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The trouble with only considering owner feedback has been discussed many times...

The number of "great" boats as described by owners differs pretty significantly from the number of "great" boats from those that run many different boats under many conditions.

I think owner input is important but in my experience it has to be tempered with a little "ego boosting" and lack of knowing better to a degree.

There seems to be a layer of boaters with enormous experience...than quite a void down to the weekend and occasional boater that has owned a few and rode on a few more in varied conditions. So picking out gems from the "white noise" can be a challenge.

Like many of the pictures posted from owners in 5-6 foot seas.....yeeow....my camera must be from a planet with different gravity and yardsticks.....

I see 2 choices. Whenever you are convinced only one "boat" will do the trick...you either accept known issues with that type boat or fly to a boat where you can really put it though its paces. I didn't go to my sea trial as I wanted a particular boat and knew the sea trial wasn't going to "learn me" any more about that size, shape, style TT. After 10,000 miles of the type of travel I expected...the boat hasn't given me any surprises.

In a beam sea, the KK42 rolls "like a tortoise on it's back". I experienced it the second day I owned the boat making the turn up the Fraser River in 25 kt winds from the northwest and the river on an ebb tide. It was June 2, 2013 and I'm pretty sure the river was near maximum freshet for the year. Geez but did she ever heel over! I thought she was never going to stop! The poles and paravanes weren't down. It was a good experience actually as the admiral wasn't aboard.

I had been informed of the rolley characteristics of the KK42 before we bought her.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #31
Guru

Archie and Steve; how much ballast are you talking about?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats;
Did the Monk come more often as a single screw?
Yes. Perkins and Lehman in the early Taiwan builds and Cummins 6Bs in the Canadian builds, 1992 to 2008. Hulls 180 through 258.

The 6Bs claim 8 cruise and 10 WOT.

Be interesting to hear if Tad knows of this boat
Old 02-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #33
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I put in about 600 lb lead ingots. I ordered them from a place in California they sent them, by US mail, each sawn in half to fit in fixed price "If it fits it ships" boxes, I don't think I made my mail LADY's favorites list that year. She hand unloaded them from her truck at our door. Luckily they came in two shipments each a few days apart.
You asked top speed I'd say about 10K maybe a bit more I don't think I've ever tested it, I usually run about 7K @ 14-1500 rpm. Cummins 6BT 5.9 M @ 220hp

There were very few Monk 36 built with twins.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I put in about 600 lb lead ingots. I ordered them from a place in California they sent them, by US mail, each sawn in half to fit in fixed price "If it fits it ships" boxes, I don't think I made my mail LADY's favorites list that year. She hand unloaded them from her truck at our door. Luckily they came in two shipments each a few days apart.
You asked top speed I'd say about 10K maybe a bit more I don't think I've ever tested it, I usually run about 7K @ 14-1500 rpm. Cummins 6BT 5.9 M @ 220hp. There were very few Monk 36 built with twins.
That's hilarious.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #35
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
HiDHo, Steve and High Wire; what engines did you have and what were your cruise and WOT speeds?
Perkins 6.354 4M non turbo.
I cruise 6.8 knots at 1800 rpm. That gives me 3.8 NMPG average. WOT is 7.6 knots.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #36
Guru

Sorry Steve, should have asked; did you notice any noticeable difference in handling or economy with the added ballast?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #37
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
I don't remember exactly. There is about 6 ingots, in the laz about 12"x3"x3" ea. They were added when the gen was installed in 1987.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
I don't remember exactly. There is about 6 ingots, in the laz about 12"x3"x3" ea. They were added when the gen was installed in 1987.