Monk 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
manyboats; said:
Did the Monk come more often as a single screw?
Yes. Perkins and Lehman in the early Taiwan builds and Cummins 6Bs in the Canadian builds, 1992 to 2008. Hulls 180 through 258.

The 6Bs claim 8 cruise and 10 WOT.

Be interesting to hear if Tad knows of this boat;)

Last edited:
Archie and Steve; how much ballast are you talking about?
I put in about 600 lb lead ingots. I ordered them from a place in California they sent them, by US mail, each sawn in half to fit in fixed price "If it fits it ships" boxes, I don't think I made my mail LADY's favorites list that year. She hand unloaded them from her truck at our door. Luckily they came in two shipments each a few days apart.
You asked top speed I'd say about 10K maybe a bit more I don't think I've ever tested it, I usually run about 7K @ 14-1500 rpm. Cummins 6BT 5.9 M @ 220hp

There were very few Monk 36 built with twins.

I put in about 600 lb lead ingots. I ordered them from a place in California they sent them, by US mail, each sawn in half to fit in fixed price "If it fits it ships" boxes, I don't think I made my mail LADY's favorites list that year. She hand unloaded them from her truck at our door. Luckily they came in two shipments each a few days apart.
You asked top speed I'd say about 10K maybe a bit more I don't think I've ever tested it, I usually run about 7K @ 14-1500 rpm. Cummins 6BT 5.9 M @ 220hp. There were very few Monk 36 built with twins.
That's hilarious.

HiDHo, Steve and High Wire; what engines did you have and what were your cruise and WOT speeds?
Perkins 6.354 4M non turbo.
I cruise 6.8 knots at 1800 rpm. That gives me 3.8 NMPG average. WOT is 7.6 knots.

Sorry Steve, should have asked; did you notice any noticeable difference in handling or economy with the added ballast?

Archie and Steve; how much ballast are you talking about?
I don't remember exactly. There is about 6 ingots, in the laz about 12"x3"x3" ea. They were added when the gen was installed in 1987.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom