Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
Member
 
regb's Avatar
 
City: Lumberton Ms
Country: USA
Vessel Name: M.E. Lou II
Vessel Model: 2007 silverton 39 my
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 22
Money for loop

starting our Loop Feb 28 from Biloxi MS I know a lot depends on how big boat is and fuel but was wondering a ballpark of how much Cash we would need to carry we have cards but what about cash?
Thanks Reg
__________________
Advertisement

regb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
seasalt007's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, FL
Country: U.S.
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 481
We use a large nationwide bank with ATM's everywhere so did not to carry much more than normal. B of A, Chase, Wells Fargo....
__________________

seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,884
I have taken several one month trips, and usually bring about $1k in cash. When I get back, I usually have spent just a couple hundred. Mostly carry it if for some reason the cards stop working, want to be able to buy enough fuel to get home. But if there is a widespread problem with cards not working, there is a whole lot more to worry about!!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Guru
 
No Mast's Avatar
 
City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Country: US
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 816
I don't know you'll need any more cash than you use in your daily landlocked life.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
We probably took $500 in cash. After we completed the loop, I think we had $400 left.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:52 AM   #6
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,146
I carry enough cash for tips basically and that's pretty much it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #7
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,524
Fuel will be on plastic as will be marinas and dinner ashore.

The Canadians charge to visit their canal system , and also if you wish to tie up to their lock entrance, they take plastic too.

AS ID theft is a problem world wide , we prefer to use an ATM to get cash , and to pay as much as we can with cash.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,739
I like cash for smaller purchases, so we had $1000 or so for our summer in the Trent Severn and up to the North Channel and back.
The toughest part was estimating how much Canadian money to get. We kept having to go find a bank to exchange. One or two of them gave us a hassle because we were not regular customers.
I would suggest converting a large number in Kingston, or whatever large town you first get to. Will make your life easier IMO.

When we left Canada on our Trent trip, we exited via the Murray Canal where you have to pay $5 Canadian to go thru the swing bridge. We scraped all the coins we had left and were a little short so I put a couple of granola bars in a ziplock bag along with the coins and dropped it into the cup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8277.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	36148  
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,887
Let's see who admits to I having $50,000 on board and then see if they are posting I the remote destination thread...

I just had an experience where I thought I had left my wallet on the dock masters desk and left the next morning without checking for it as I haven't ever lost a wallet. It tuned up in my briefcase but had slid and hid for a bit.

My big concern was based on location, upcoming need for fuel and hearing the drama my crew was going through after her bank called and said they were cancelling her card due to one of the recent retailer hacks. It took over 2 weeks for the bank to get it together and get a card to her on our trip....their mailing requirements and being on the move didn't help.

My cut is... thankfully I had enough cash on board to get fuel, get to someplace that would be a reasonable place to get a card to me easily, and pay cash along the way.

Doesn't have to be a lot...but enough depending on any particular set of circumstances.

While I agree with almost total card use ....I have lived through several times where having some cash made a difference.

Having people on board that can cover the situation or having people elsewhere to help can cut down the probability you may ever need cash....but ya never can coverall the bases all the time.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
... and hearing the drama my crew was going through after her bank called and said they were cancelling her card due to one of the recent retailer hacks. It took over 2 weeks for the bank to get it together and get a card to her on our trip....their mailing requirements and being on the move didn't help.
This situation is happening all too often nowadays. It has gotten me rethinking my single credit card strategy. Absolutely hate having a wallet full of plastic but you never now when a retailer is going to give your personal information away.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #11
Guru
 
City: Fort Myers
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 954
That's a great story of the granola bars, could see their faces on that one, "cheap american's" ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I like cash for smaller purchases, so we had $1000 or so for our summer in the Trent Severn and up to the North Channel and back.
The toughest part was estimating how much Canadian money to get. We kept having to go find a bank to exchange. One or two of them gave us a hassle because we were not regular customers.
I would suggest converting a large number in Kingston, or whatever large town you first get to. Will make your life easier IMO.

When we left Canada on our Trent trip, we exited via the Murray Canal where you have to pay $5 Canadian to go thru the swing bridge. We scraped all the coins we had left and were a little short so I put a couple of granola bars in a ziplock bag along with the coins and dropped it into the cup.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
This situation is happening all too often nowadays. It has gotten me rethinking my single credit card strategy. Absolutely hate having a wallet full of plastic but you never now when a retailer is going to give your personal information away.
Plus the wallet full of plastic has to be with you.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #13
Guru
 
Pgitug's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, fl
Country: Usa
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 986
We found that your card company can cancel your card due to a fraud problem. The new card must be sent to your home address. If not the replacement card is a temp. For this reason we bring two Charge cards, always leaving one on the boat. Plus $1,000.00 cash. Four trips up the east coast from Florida to RI and back, the system has worked well.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #14
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
We found that your card company can cancel your card due to a fraud problem. The new card must be sent to your home address. If not the replacement card is a temp. For this reason we bring two Charge cards, always leaving one on the boat. Plus $1,000.00 cash. Four trips up the east coast from Florida to RI and back, the system has worked well.
Wells Fargo just mailed a permanent card to other than a home address...they just couldn't change the name line so we had it mailed to a branch in Savannah and picked it up there.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #15
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Wells Fargo just mailed a permanent card to other than a home address...they just couldn't change the name line so we had it mailed to a branch in Savannah and picked it up there.
They will send to any branch. Just won't mail to a remote personal location.

We carry multiple cards for the reasons mentioned above. All of our cards combined we've been through a total of 5 cancel and reissues, all defensive and protective measures. Had used a card at Target. Cancelled. Had used a card at Home Depot. Cancelled. Didn't have a fraudulent charge on either. One other time was the credit card processor was compromised. Then twice have been those odd little tests that the thieves do. They get authorization for a penny or a dollar. Often it's a random effort with made up card numbers and just happens to match. The test is to see if the number is valid before trying to use it. Once the authorization goes through then they'll charge on it so have to cancel it before they can. So no losses but disruption.

One thing we do too is we don't use the cards we carry for any monthly bill payments like electricity, water, phone, insurance. We have a separate card that is only used for those items.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,146
As part of the cash issue. FUEL. We've found, especially on large quantities, substantial discounts for cash. Now, much to our surprise we've found most of the places would accept checks and give the discount. The penalty for cards is often $0.10 per gallon. When fuel prices were higher that made sense but now that's 3%.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 464
Cash???? What is this 1955? Next it'll be how to survive without a landline, or how to rig a mailbox off the handrail for the postmaster. Debit cards are accepted everywhere and are as good as cash (with the exception of anyplace that is giving a discount for cash over credit). Withdraw some 'walking around' money via ATM's on a weekly basis, or less if you don't want to get hit with fees. I'd use a large widely accepted bank like Bank of America and search out their ATM's to avoid withdrawel fees.

I do carry maybe $200 bucks, just in case you find a small restaurant that is cash only.

If it's under $20 then use cash, anything more and use the debit card. Besides using a debit card allows you to really control and analyze spending.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #18
Guru
 
City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 755
Discover card is not used in canada or the Bahamas.
__________________
-------------------------
Terry
Meridian
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #19
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,524
>If it's under $20 then use cash, anything more and use the debit card. Besides using a debit card allows you to really control and analyze spending.<

Purchasing anything with a Debt card does NOT get the same consumer protection or warentee as using a bank credit card.

Great for a pizza , much ungood for a VHF , TV or washing machine.

ATM in Canada pay in CN dollars , and the exchange rate is frequently better than the local bank, and Far better than local merchants will give.

In countries like Argentina , the locals will frequently pat 50% to 100% over the posted dictators rate , but Canada is just fine so far.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #20
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,739
And you also should be calling you credit card company to let them know you are going to be in Canada. I know people who were cut off only because they didn't call or return the card company's calls.
__________________

__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012