Old 01-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #21
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I'm shocked at the credit card concerns. To be honest, the world is already moving past credit cards and way past cash. Am I the only person who has bought something with ApplePay here? I can't wait until I no longer pay with credit cards. Cash? It's like a rotary dial phone.

For 12 years we've only used credit cards onboard. In the Bahamas, yeah, you need more cash. But ignoring that and looking at US east travel? No way.

Sure, we've had fraud use issues cancellations - never cost us a penny. We've had cards cancelled - about one per year. So we carry about 4-5 cards.

We've had purchases returned because of non-delivery - credit cards are great at being on your side in a transaction. You also get extra insurance for car rentals on some credit cards. But there, no rental car company will even take cash when you check in.

There are ATM's everywhere although, again, we never use them. We are loading up on cash right now because Great Harbour Cay in the Berry Islands has no credit card abilities. I hope I remember how to use my ATM card to get cash over the next three weeks. I think I'd die if I had to actually walk into a bank.

We purchase fuel for "cash" about 25% of the time. In 12 years, I've never given out real cash. Every facility takes a check. You have to make a calculation though - almost all of our credit cards give back 1-2% so a $0.05 discount on cash can be easily a bad deal when I'm getting $0.08 back on $4/gal fuel at times.

ApplePay, etc = cellular
Credit Card = landline/push button
Cash = landline/rotary

We're way past cash and there's no reason to go back.

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #22
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I'm shocked at the credit card concerns. To be honest, the world is already moving past credit cards and way past cash. Am I the only person who has bought something with ApplePay here? I can't wait until I no longer pay with credit cards. Cash? It's like a rotary dial phone.
Ha ha. I don't disagree on ApplePay but I do wonder how long it will take marinas to catch up to this tech. I remember a marina I used to deal with who accepted checks but not credits cards and then they would take 90-120 days to cash the check. I had to beg them to cash my checks. Honest!

The same applies to other mom and pop businesses we would normally like to frequent and are clueless about Near Field Communications (NFC).

Then there are the big retailers like Walfart that refuse to accept it because they are working on a competing system so they don't have to pay credit card swipe fees.

Sorry but landlines and rotaries are going to be around for some time to come.....sigh.

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:

For 12 years we've only used credit cards onboard. In the Bahamas, yeah, you need more cash. But ignoring that and looking at US east travel? No way.

Sure, we've had fraud use issues cancellations - never cost us a penny. We've had cards cancelled - about one per year. So we carry about 4-5 cards.

We've had purchases returned because of non-delivery - credit cards are great at being on your side in a transaction. You also get extra insurance for car rentals on some credit cards. But there, no rental car company will even take cash when you check in.

There are ATM's everywhere although, again, we never use them. We are loading up on cash right now because Great Harbour Cay in the Berry Islands has no credit card abilities. I hope I remember how to use my ATM card to get cash over the next three weeks. I think I'd die if I had to actually walk into a bank.

We purchase fuel for "cash" about 25% of the time. In 12 years, I've never given out real cash. Every facility takes a check. You have to make a calculation though - almost all of our credit cards give back 1-2% so a $0.05 discount on cash can be easily a bad deal when I'm getting $0.08 back on $4/gal fuel at times.

ApplePay, etc = cellular
Credit Card = landline/push button
Cash = landline/rotary

We're way past cash and there's no reason to go back.
For work I travel 170+ days a year Latin America, Asia Europe

I use 3 different debit cards I typically even when I call all the banks have a problem with one when I travel . so I have a back up or 2

I also use foreign ATMs to minimize the exchange rate

As FF said certain countries like to stick the Gringo but if you travel to them a good deal you learn were to go

On the Loop I would think a few hundred dollars up 1k and a couple cards would be fine
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #24
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
In my area, some of the best marine mechanics do not take plastic. They will drive you to an ATM!!

Tie up to the fuel dock and ask dockmaster about a boat problem, he has numbers for several independent mechs that each have a specialty. These guys are very good, very fast, and very reasonable. And they don't take plastic. Although I think some might be getting with it lately.

Cash still works with them.

You can call a dealer or large service company, they of course take plastic, but also have a reputation for super heavy billing.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #25
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
In my area, some of the best marine mechanics do not take plastic. They will drive you to an ATM!!

Tie up to the fuel dock and ask dockmaster about a boat problem, he has numbers for several independent mechs that each have a specialty. These guys are very good, very fast, and very reasonable. And they don't take plastic. Although I think some might be getting with it lately.

You can call a dealer or large service company, they of course take plastic, but also have a reputation for super heavy billing.

Yup! Boat repairs in "Middleofnowhere" BC. All cash.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>
Purchasing anything with a Debt card does NOT get the same consumer protection or warentee as using a bank credit card.

Great for a pizza , much ungood for a VHF , TV or washing machine.
We learned that years ago as well. Not even the same fraud protection. So what we started doing long ago was using a credit card and then paying it weekly or even more frequently. We'd go online, see the charges that had cleared and then transfer the money. Really helps credit ratings too. You pay well so they increase your limit but you never owe much so your percentage of available credit used is minimal. The other huge negative on debit cards is that if there is fraud, before you realize it the money is gone from your bank account so you're out that money until it's restored. Credit card fraud you just simply show owing the money. Your card may be restricted briefly but you're not actually out money. Plus debit card fraud can cause your checks and drafts to all bounce.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post

Sorry but landlines and rotaries are going to be around for some time to come.....sigh.
Where? What? No, Seriously...lol

As to rotaries, I don't think so. I know our phone company discontinued them decades ago. They would not work with the new technology.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #28
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Sounds like a good idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
what we started doing long ago was using a credit card and then paying it weekly or even more frequently.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #29
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Where? What? No, Seriously...lol

As to rotaries, I don't think so. I know our phone company discontinued them decades ago. They would not work with the new technology.
This was in response to a post equating plastic credit cards to landlines and cash to rotaries. The point was plastic cards and cash are going to be around for awhile yet. Bitcoins anyone???
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
This was in response to a post equating plastic credit cards to landlines and cash to rotaries. The point was plastic cards and cash are going to be around for awhile yet.
Well, the sentence written was false so doesn't contribute to your point, in fact the opposite.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:

Maybe it is where I travel and how I live....it is not about ME and my spending habits...it is about the guy I need something from and CASH is the only thing that works.

Also as said before.....cash discounts to do add up for some of us and not everyone has rewards type CCs.

As I posted before...look ahead and see the possibilities.....the easier it is for you to replenish...the smaller the amount on hand you need.

I know my threshold ....just know yours.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Cash "talks."
Old 01-09-2015, 11:56 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Cash "talks."
For those talking cash, a couple of specific questions then:

Assuming you fill with 250 gallons of fuel (within reason for the OP's boat), do you carry cash to handle that or how do you pay?

Assuming you have the Selene 53 of a poster above and fill with 1000 gallons, do you carry cash to handle that or how do you pay?
Old 01-10-2015, 01:33 AM   #34
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
For those talking cash, a couple of specific questions then:

Assuming you fill with 250 gallons of fuel (within reason for the OP's boat), do you carry cash to handle that or how do you pay?

Assuming you have the Selene 53 of a poster above and fill with 1000 gallons, do you carry cash to handle that or how do you pay?
No, you don't pay all your fuel buys with cash. But it is a good idea to have enough cash to do at least one fuel buy with cash, maybe two. If the plastic works, then fine, use it.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:47 AM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Recently I've seen people having their phone scanned to verify their train ticket (this was in Europe). Don't trust this as one's battery can die at any moment. I trust paper. Paper works for me.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:50 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
No, you don't pay all your fuel buys with cash. But it is a good idea to have enough cash to do at least one fuel buy with cash, maybe two. If the plastic works, then fine, use it.
So that means $1000 or $4000 on the two examples I've given.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
... Don't trust this as one's battery can die at any moment. I trust paper. Paper works for me.
I totally get this now.

"Cash" is just a regurgitation of the paper charts arguments. It's the same logic and traditional way of looking at the world.

I think if using cash (paper charts) works for you, then you should continue to use them. Personally, I think that the day when cash (paper charts) is (are) removed from use, the world will be a much safer and better place.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
I totally get this now.

"Cash" is just a regurgitation of the paper charts arguments. It's the same logic and traditional way of looking at the world.
Not at all. Some places / people don't take plastic. My boat mechanic doesn't take plastic. Got tired of the occasional out of town scum trying to screw him by stopping credit payments to negotiate a cheaper bill. While credit cards offer the consumer very good protection, they make it easy for unscrupulous consumers to screw very small businesses. If you want the best mobile mechanic around here plan on paying cash. Or you can go with number 2 (who is very good) and pay 25% more on your plastic.

Secondly, I never tip on plastic. Some restaurants charge horrible percentages to their employees to recover their tip money from credit card payments. I tend to frequent the less expensive restaurants and feel most of those who wait tables work hard for their money. Want to make sure they get all of what I want to give them.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #39
Guru

The mechanic I like in Charleston doesn't take credit cards either. He'll happily accept a check. Any business who only takes cash is most surely the unscrupulous player in the game. They're the ones who aren't accepting a trail of what was done and the payments received for doing it. We all know that they're most surely not reporting most/part of the income too thereby screwing all the rest of us honest taxpayers.

Just like paper charts, the arguments aren't worth getting into. The die has been cast and there's no stopping the inevitability of paper charts (cash) disappearing from use. There are too many disadvantages.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #40
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Any business who only takes cash is most surely the unscrupulous player in the game. They're the ones who aren't accepting a trail of what was done and the payments received for doing it.
I can't believe you posted that. I get a receipt from my mechanic every time he does work for me. Only taking cash has nothing to do with conducting business and giving receipts.

Quote:
Just like paper charts, the arguments aren't worth getting into. The die has been cast and there's no stopping the inevitability of paper charts (cash) disappearing from use. There are too many disadvantages.
Funny, I heard that from the bank back in 1984 when I opened my first store. The cash and checks are still here, but they're gone. I do agree though that paper charts are all but history.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote