Moldy canvas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calypsian

Vessel Name
Querencia
Vessel Make
Mainship 400T
Looking for knowledge or direction to a previous posting that will help me address what appears to be moldy spotting inside the fully enclosed flybridge bimini. This is a consequence to improper storage prior to my purchase, when moisture built up inside the enclosure without appropriate venting. Moisture is not currently present, and the inside surface is dry and generally covered with what is believed to be moldy spots.
Should it be sprayed and scrubbed in place? Removed and scrubbed on a flat surface? Power washed?
Any advice, especially prior experiences with anything similar would be appreciated
Thanks
Calypsian

Last edited:
We took ours all off and headed to the coin laundry. You have to find one with the big industrial washers. Worked well.

71ivDy-yc3L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Home-made product

I got this in an email from Practical Sailor last year on two home-made mold/mildew cleaning products. I never did try it, but I do have a couple spots in the boat that have some mildew....and I'm a fan of inexpensive home-based solutions.

Here's the email:

The two homemade spray formulas we tested each cost about one penny per ounce. Like the other mildew preventers in our test, you use these as cleaners by simply spraying the product on, wiping any excess away, and leaving it on. Before applying to any fabric, test the spray on an inconspicuous sample spot.

Formula A

1 quart hot water
1 tablespoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
2 tablespoons washing soda (sodium carbonate)
2 tablespoons trisodium phosphate (TSP)

Much like Concrobium (which it is modeled after), our homemade Formula A removed the mildew from test carpet on board and kept it away, even though the area got wet again. It was also very effective in the moist-environment lab test.

Formula B

1 quart hot water
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 tablespoons Borax
1 tablespoon TSP

Formula B was the second-place performer in the liquid group. It was certainly the best value. It cleaned well, prevented mildew from returning to the carpet, and greatly slowed mildew infection in the moist-environment test in the lab.

We also tried treating with plain vinegar, which reportedly works on some hard surfaces, but testers found the smell a little too overpowering. A 10-percent solution of household bleach (3-percent sodium hypochlorite) was one of the best cleaners, but this has to be used with care. Bleach will bleed or degrade many fabrics, and can harm the marine environment.

I think he is talking about canvas and your bottle states not for fabrics?

Been using it on our canvas for several years. Works great. Just rinse thoroughly.

**WOW! Didn't know the pic was so big. Sorry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom