Model Fishboats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrol Rick

Hello All
I'm a radio control boat enthusiast, mostly tugs. Living on the west coast of Canada, I've always enjoyed the fishboats, especially the ones converted to pleasure use.
I'd like to build a model, similar to the two larger ones shown here, only converted to pleasure use. Just wondering if anyone here would know of any models, finished or unfinished available.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 104
Find Puget 78
He has a model in his avatar.

Thank you, RTF. I had a model made of my boat, a GB-42 Classic about six years ago. The folks are located in Oregon and go by the name of Captains Models, MODEL BOATS by Captains Models. My boat is not radio controlled. It's just a table-top model.

Patrol Rick, give them a shout! They're good guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Have you ever built the "MR DARBY"? I'm the captain on it for the last 8 years. Not many peeps can say that models have been designed and manufactured of their boat. As you probably know, its now the Atlantic Salvor. I have seen several versions of this build.

I'll get one if you'll autograph it! I don't know many real Captains!

No problem Gig, My pleasure!
I routinely get requests from model makers for detail photos of bits and pieces of different items. My company forwards them to me and I am happy to oblige.

Last edited:
Giggitoni..I'm well aware of Captains Models as they built me a twin to yours almost 20 years ago. Capt Bob, his wife and sons were great folks to deal with. Thanks for the come back.

Sailor of Fortune: I haven't built the Darby but looked at a finished model yesterday that's for sale. All my r/c tugs are B.C. log tugs with Ron Burchett/Gary King hulls and highly detailed.

Thanks guys but still looking.

Thinking of the hundreds of hours such a model (for a particular prototype boat, accurate to scale and custom-made) takes to construct, the cost is incomprehensible, particularly if remote controlled/motorized. Would pay for a large variety of prototype/real boats. :blush:

Greeting,
Mr, mb. You do remarkable work. VERY nice! By the same token, the hundreds of hours of painstaking detail work you do would go a long way to a full size locomotive although you would be hard pressed to fit it onto a coffee table.

OCKPFFG.gif

Last edited:
Thank you, RTF. I had a model made of my boat, a GB-42 Classic about six years ago. The folks are located in Oregon and go by the name of Captains Models, MODEL BOATS by Captains Models. My boat is not radio controlled. It's just a table-top model.

Patrol Rick, give them a shout! They're good guys.

Hey Ray, bring that thing down to the marina next time and we'll see how close she sits on her boot stripe. Could even make a great photo op.

I promise to tie a string to it if it's windy.

Hey Ray, bring that thing down to the marina next time and we'll see how close she sits on her boot stripe. Could even make a great photo op.

I promise to tie a string to it if it's windy.

No engines, no genset, no fuel tanks or water tanks...I'm afraid it would show its mossy side!

This is my more recent build. UK tug Irishman.

Attachments

• IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Some of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6835.jpg
    IMG_6835.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6836.jpg
    IMG_6836.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3922.JPG
    IMG_3922.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 43
Fascinating stuff! Don't know how you guys do it. Guess it's a combination of highly perfected motor skills, extraordinary eye for detail, and extreme levels of patience. That would explain why I can't do it.

Off the subject, but I recently spent a good bit of time in the Radiation Treatment section of Sloan-Kettering in Baltimore. In the various public areas of the section is a small (maybe 15-20) but amazing collection of high quality antique model boats, power and sail. None of the staff could tell me why they're there or the origins ("Always been here"), other than the donor's names on the tiny brass nameplates.

Back
Top Bottom