Mobile Printer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I'm interested in getting a small or mobile printer for the boat. I don't it to be battery operated as we can run the genny if we need to print.
Suggestions?

I'm interested in getting a small or mobile printer for the boat. I don't it to be battery operated as we can run the genny if we need to print.
Suggestions?

Its not small, but we have one of the HP print/scan/fax wireless printers on the boat and it works great.

Greetings,
Mr. t. We've got one on board. I don't know if it can be considered "mobile" but I think it was about $89 (two sided printing). If that's any help. We've got one at home here that cost $49 (one sided printing-15" long, 14" wide and 7" high). Home model is Brother HL 2140.
On reading posts following this one, the units we have are NOT wireless.

Last edited:
We recently bought an Epson 400 XP for home and it works great. Wireless, less than $100 at Walmart.

Last edited:
Suggestions?
Have you done a web search? There used to be several and the ones I remember weren't much bigger than a paper towel roll without the towels. A couple inches square and long enough for a piece of paper.

Take a look at the Canon i70. That's what I travel with.

Print to PDF and then view it on iPhones, iPads, and Android. Printing is so 2005...

Have you done a web search? There used to be several and the ones I remember weren't much bigger than a paper towel roll without the towels. A couple inches square and long enough for a piece of paper.

The ones that are promoted as "mobile" generally are as you described and cost upwards of $300. HP has a model that fits the bill but is expensive and is prone to a paper feed problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not if you need notarized original signatures.

Yep, you got me on that one. And the last paper I needed notarized was in 2003 so I guess I didn't consider that continual need that most people must face.

Every time you print out a piece of paper, it's a failure in my opinion. There's generally another way that is better.

OK, that said, we do have a small laser printer onboard to print labels for mailing hats. If the USPS were just a little more automated, that will go too. We could handwrite them I guess...

It's fairly easy to change an e-mail or even a PDF. Suppose I send someone an e-mail saying "You do not have my permission to ............ ". It's a simple task to eliminate the word "not" and change the meaning of the e-mail.

You probably won't have this situation on your boat, but for some of us it's pretty common. And I know it's hard to believe but there is still a significant population with no access to the Internet or even to computers, Ipads, etc. For some they can't afford it, for others, it's by choice. My mother in law would not use the Internet or have it in her house. I have several older friends who share her mistrust or just don't see what they would use it for.

It's easy for us to get lost in our own world and forget that others may not be sharing it.

Yep, you got me on that one. And the last paper I needed notarized was in 2003 so I guess I didn't consider that continual need that most people must face.

Every time you print out a piece of paper, it's a failure in my opinion. There's generally another way that is better.

OK, that said, we do have a small laser printer onboard to print labels for mailing hats. If the USPS were just a little more automated, that will go too. We could handwrite them I guess...

In my every day business, I buy land and sell real estate. Governments have not caught up. Hard copies with original signatures are required for permits and contracts that are part of conforming loan packages. In my other business related activities I deal with state insurance departments, and other corporate stuff. All require notorized original signatures. I have closed deals all up and down the coast. Yes, FedEx and I are on good terms.

That being said, I have to put in a word for marina staffs. Most are extremely cooperative with helping with shipping/ deliveries, etc.

there is a WIFI network on Moonstruck, and we have 4G MIFI for a backup. Were it not for modern communications, I would not be able to cruise as we do.

As an aside to that, we just completed an overnight, offshore passage from Brunswick, GA to Charleston, SC. We stayed between 5 and 9 nm offshore. This was the first overnight in our 11+ years of doing this that we had full internet access during the entire passage. We usually lost it along parts of Georgia but the new 4G towers are doing well by us this year.

Many Dr's and pharmacies still require faxes.....email not acceptable...but at least there are programs that allow you to send a fax...but many Drs offices won't do it that way.

Thankfully I don't have the issue but someone close to me does.

There are a few bazillion printer models out there, but i can make some generic recommendations. I'd like to second the suggestion to get a printer/scanner combo so you can scan and email pdfs of signed documents. On the printer, i'd suggest a laser printer over ink jet. Ink jets tend to clog up and fail unless they are used regularly. A printer on a boat is likely to get used sporadically, and laser is much more reliable under such situations. Laser printers tend to be bigger than ink jets, but a small printer that doesn't work is useless.

My inkjet has been aboard for 3 years and you are correct about non-use..but mine is used enough that it hasn't failed before the ink cartridges are empty and I have a big HP all in one with the big ink cartridges.

Looking to scale down in size...but this one keeps ticking...

If you use apple products (iPad or iPhone) I would consider getting a printer that has AirPrint. You can print directly from those devices. Comes in handy if someone sends you an email or text and you need a hard copy. We use it often we try to leave the laptop at home when we go to the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom