Old 05-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #1

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Mobile CBP Roam app

Last time I checked into the US from Canada, the officer recommended a new mobile app to expedite re-entry. Essentially, you take a picture of your pass ports, have a short video chat with an officer and you are set up to re-enter without having to report to a physical station.

https://appadvice.com/app/cbp-roam/1263234017

Both Android and Apple apps are available for free download.

Check it out.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #2

City: Newport
Vessel Name: Privateer
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52
Worked for us coming in to Charleston from the Bahamas last month. Slick. But not all ports of entry are active with CBP roam so you have to check on the web to find out if your chosen port is on line.
SailorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
It has been going for slightly over a year.

And in most cases you do not have to have the video call, they either have a question for you on what you submitted or you are chosen at random for the video call.

Also everyone on board needs to have an expedited entry program (Global Entry, SVRS, NEXUS etc).

I did a write up on it here when we first used it.

Getting Documentation Ready For The Bahamas | AtAnchor.com
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Every time you use the app it generates a long password which needs to be entered the next time you log in. They tell you to print it and store it away. If you loose it you’re SOL, there is no way to recover it. When I lost mine they told me I would need to reenter all my information using another email address.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Every time you use the app it generates a long password which needs to be entered the next time you log in. They tell you to print it and store it away. If you loose it you’re SOL, there is no way to recover it. When I lost mine they told me I would need to reenter all my information using another email address.
You need to update the app. Now when you log in they send a six number code to your cell phone and you enter that real time. Each log on has a new code. Nothing to store or remember.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Also everyone on board needs to have an expedited entry program (Global Entry, SVRS, NEXUS etc).
I’m not sure that is true. Last year we used the CBP app coming from Canada to the US. It happened to be the first day that they went live with the app. Neither my wife or I participate in an expedited entry program (yet). I submitted the information on the app as we crossed into US waters and received a call on the app from a CBP officer about 45 minutes later if I recall.

We did a video chat with the officer, showed him our refrigerator, and showed him some small items we purchased in CA. He told us to dispose of a green pepper at the “very evil bad food receptacle” at the customs dock when we got to Roche Harbor (our destination) and cleared us. It was very easy but would be even easier if we had NEXUS.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
That’s great news. Thanks
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
Guru

Everyone on board does not have to have expedited entry or trusted traveler in order to use that new app. I took some friends up to Canada a few weeks ago. We used the app for our return. I have Nexus; they do not. No problems!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #9

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
It is much easier to apply for trusted traveler status than Nexus. You do it from the app and a customs officer calls you back via video chat. I think the benefit is that you just get a clearance number via email vs having to "video chat".

By the way, when they "video chat" they see you, you don't see them. Make sure the app is terminated (not in background) when you do not use it. Otherwise, the app continues to have full access to you microphone and video camera.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:17 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Everyone on board does not have to have expedited entry or trusted traveler in order to use that new app. I took some friends up to Canada a few weeks ago. We used the app for our return. I have Nexus; they do not. No problems!
Interesting. On the first version last April you did. I must go in and change my write up.

This was the biggest suggestion I had on the app - a tutorial or better help on it. One thing they have now added is a pop up after submission telling you to wait as you may receive a video request. That was not there on the first version so you didn't know it was real time ( and you might go and have dinner while you are waiting!).
Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 AM   #11
Guru

One other thing to note. When we went to use it again two weeks ago it told us we had to download the latest app. I had seen a few automatic updates over the last year so was surprised I had to update.
When I did the latest install it did not carry our information across and had to re-enter everything again. Not a big chore but I guess the new version changed enough that the fields didnt match.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #12
Guru

I was corrected re use of the app - I had thought it was just for trusted travelers. Happily, it’s not!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Interesting. On the first version last April you did. I must go in and change my write up.

This was the biggest suggestion I had on the app - a tutorial or better help on it. One thing they have now added is a pop up after submission telling you to wait as you may receive a video request. That was not there on the first version so you didn't know it was real time ( and you might go and have dinner while you are waiting!).

You are probably correct that they have been tweaking the app as they gain experience with it. My use was in September last year. You likely were in one of the first areas that went live with it. I’m sure there were a lot of bugs to work through and it could be much different now than what I used last September.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #14

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Used ROAM for the first time this spring returning to North Palm Beach from The Bahamas.
Very slick, very easy. Highly recommended.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote