Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
MOB -- you

Quote:
Keith wrote:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...ticle-XXXXXXXX

Over the weekend in the hood... They just couldn't get her back on the boat.
*On*1 occasion I have used the halyard and the winch. On another occasion we used the boom with the block and tackle. In both instances, the persons being rescued did not fall off of my boat.

She was probably a big girl and with lots of clothing (cold day) to weigh her down. The water was very cold yesterday and I'll bet she was unable to help herslf back on the boat. Glad everything worked out for her.

-- Edited by Tony B on Monday 13th of February 2012 08:00:22 AM

Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #42
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
MOB -- you

Quote:
Larry M wrote:psneeld wrote:
Unless I've missed it...you can always do what sailors do and rig jack lines and clip a harness to them when out on deck
Be very careful!* Jack-lines may keep you attached to the boat but they don't prevent you from going over.* When we were in the Pacific, a man fell overboard while using a harness and jack-lines.* His wife didn't have the ability to get him back on board.* He was dragged through the water*and drowned.*

*Not necessarily...they CAN be rigged to keep you from going over...and anyway...you ALWAYS have to be smarter than the gear you use...

-- Edited by psneeld on Monday 13th of February 2012 02:29:21 PM

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
RE: MOB -- you

Quote:
psneeld wrote:Larry M wrote:psneeld wrote:
Unless I've missed it...you can always do what sailors do and rig jack lines and clip a harness to them when out on deck
Be very careful!* Jack-lines may keep you attached to the boat but they don't prevent you from going over.* When we were in the Pacific, a man fell overboard while using a harness and jack-lines.* His wife didn't have the ability to get him back on board.* He was dragged through the water*and drowned.*

*Not necessarily...they CAN be rigged to keep you from going over...and anyway...you ALWAYS have to be smarter than the gear you use...

-- Edited by psneeld on Monday 13th of February 2012 02:29:21 PM

A*similar thing has happened in this area with some racers in an ocean race.* I think the fellow ultimately*cut his tether and was rescued by another boat (in any case he lived to tell). *His advice,*be sure*to rig your jacklines*such*that based on the length of*your tether you will be out of the water if you go over!** We spent a lot of time figuring out jackline location prior to sailing to Hawaii in '10.*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #44
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:*We spent a lot of time figuring out jackline location prior to sailing to Hawaii in '10.*
******* I can't even imagine doing that! I'll venture to say that I'll bet you have more open water cruising experience than 99% of the people on this forum.

:worship:
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:*We spent a lot of time figuring out jackline location prior to sailing to Hawaii in '10.*
******* I can't even imagine doing that! I'll venture to say that I'll bet you have more open water cruising experience than 99% of the people on this forum.

:worship:

thanks but I wasn't the navigator so it was like being along for the ride!* The first week was a like a never ending ocean race.* The second week was much better as the weather got nice.* I wouldn't want to do that long of a passage again, it is grueling on the body.*

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote