Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
RE: MOB -- you

Quote:
Per wrote:

i wonder if anyone makes a device, say a transmitter type chip which you carry, perhaps attached on or part of your inflatable PFD which is activated by contact with water?
similar to an ELT for airplane but this one is a personal device. i think i have seen folks on commercial airlines with some sort of beacon transmitter.
*There is at least one out there that does alerts...probably 4-5 I have seen through the years but can't say they are all still around.* One of the expensive ones was able to hook into ignition/electronic devices to shut down your engine too I'm pretty sure.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #22
Per
Guru

Quote:
psneeld wrote:Per wrote:

i wonder if anyone makes a device, say a transmitter type chip which you carry, perhaps attached on or part of your inflatable PFD which is activated by contact with water?
similar to an ELT for airplane but this one is a personal device. i think i have seen folks on commercial airlines with some sort of beacon transmitter.
*There is at least one out there that does alerts...probably 4-5 I have seen through the years but can't say they are all still around.* One of the expensive ones was able to hook into ignition/electronic devices to shut down your engine too I'm pretty sure.

*that would be a decent solve of this concern, if no one has this product here is definitively something for a product designer to set his teeth into.

make it an option to send emergrency locator signal to USCG or similar.

after reading all this i am gonna think twice to do runs on my own, and be very careful if on my own, and when family is onboard, i am gonna ban all moving about inside/outside and up/down flybridge...unless we are just at idle putting along.

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

I have a saying that I tell everyone on the boat.

One hand for the boat.

In other words always make sure you are holding onto something before you let go the other hand.

I don't know if it works or not but I practice the idea myself. Always.

SD*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
One hand for the boat.
*Definitely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	one hand for boat.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	10040  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Per wrote:psneeld wrote:Per wrote:

*that would be a decent solve of this concern, if no one has this product here is definitively something for a product designer to set his teeth into.

make it an option to send emergrency locator signal to USCG or similar.

after reading all this i am gonna think twice to do runs on my own, and be very careful if on my own, and when family is onboard, i am gonna ban all moving about inside/outside and up/down flybridge...unless we are just at idle putting along.

*Don't get too uptight...as long as someone is awake/alert...they can keep track of the other person moving around...just set up*comms and reasonable limits.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Per wrote:

Yes, those are available.* The receiver connects to the engine's kill switch and the engine stops if the device goes in the water.

Since most of us probably don't have kill switches on our engines, it would take a little modification, but they are out there and available.** They are marketed towards the guys fishing offshore.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #27

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Jay--- Can you mount the ladder with the boat in the water and working from a dinghy clipped to the swimstep or does the boat have to be out of the water?
It's probably easier to be able to install from the bottom, but as Steve mentions, if you measure accurately, you should be able to install under the transom step with the boat in the water.

The method I used was to simply take the transom step off, install the ladder, then reattach to the step supports.**
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

It helps to not walk on the roofs (that includes the flying bridge) and to have railings high enough and "thick" enough not to fall over or through.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back in water2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	10087   Click image for larger version

Name:	stern.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	10088   Click image for larger version

Name:	uperdeck.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	10089  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #29
Guru

Like most of you I've given this issue some thought. We cruise the crowded ICW most of the time so the biggest issue if falling overboat is not getting run over.*

Because our dinghy is stored on the swim platform with weaver davits, it would be impossibe to reboard the boat without someone releasing the dinghy. So if we are in open water we do not leave the helm unless we are in idle and that has happened a couple of times when I had to change racors. My sundeck configuration makes it pretty safe to move from the helm to the salon if necessary. I can think of no reason to be on deck when under way.

So while this is very much against my training as a pilot I do not have a MOB procedure prefering to avoid any situation that could allow that to happen.*
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
Steve wrote:
This is the ladder I installed a few months ago I had one of these*for several years on my Camano 31.

Marin, I install it with the boat in the water,*no problem make sure to measure well for the holes. I made a plywood pattern and drilled from the top down.

I tied a line*to the ladder in case it got away from me before it was bolted*and went for the bottom.

This is the website for the ladder

* https://windline.com/index.php?act=products&cat=12

*Yes, that's th same type I fitted, but it would have been easier on the hard than over water.* Just sayin'

There are mini EPRB man overboard type devices that send out an alert and sound an alarm on the mother unit on board if they enter the water, and are attached to your clothing, or better still, PFD.

If doing much cruising at night these would be a wise investment.* One that can kill the engine would be great if travelling alone.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #31
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

Quote:
timjet wrote:
*......I can think of no reason to be on deck when under way....*
*Dropping anchor/hoisting anchor - even electrical winch can fail.

How about "Oh crap!!!!, what was that we hit?. let me go up front and see if any damage".

How about going up front to check out the dolphins playing? Why not, the water is slick as glass. Then all of a sudden a wake from hell throws you overboard. The wake was from a ship that passed in the distance 5 full minutes ago and you paid no attention to it.

Think about all of the times you did go forward and why.

Maybe I'm more cautious because having a sailboat, I spend lots of time forward. I'm still a firm believer in setting up to not go overboard. I have had many close calls where my inflatable life jacket/safety harness with lanyards kept me on the deck. Bought that after several close calls where I hung on for dear life and pure adrenaline gave me the strength to hang on to those little wire safety rails and pull myself up. Never actually hit the water.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #32

While some sort of engine shut down may be a good tactic, please keep in mind that*even the slightest*wind or current will likely*move*the boat across the water surface*faster than you will move*through the water.*
Sealegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
timjet wrote:*I can think of no reason to be on deck when under way.
*Maybe because back there there's nothing to see?*

One or the other of us are on deck a fair amount when we're running.* To look at or take pictures of stuff from whales to mountains, to accompany the dog if he wants to stretch his legs or smell the air, simply to sit in a chair on the foredeck and watch the world go by if the weather's nice, guests like to go back and forth from the main cabin to the flying bridge (we don't operate the boat from up there but it is a nice view that guests like).* In smooth water I have even done* exterior finish maintenance while we're underway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p1060375.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	10097  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

I saw an ad for*Alert2.* It's a man overboard alarm that is water activated.* They say you can interface it with your GPS or have it shut down your engine.

www.alert2.com

Has anyone tried one of these?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #35
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
MOB -- you

Cruising solo aboard a power boat:

While underway I do not leave my helm unless absolutely required.* If I need to leave the helm I bring all thrust motion to*a halt so boat is dormant in water and place engine(s) into idle and neutral.* If being away from helm is expected to require extended time - motors are turned off.* On our current Tollycraft I always have the 6-foot long swim ladder ready to be easily*pulled from water by reaching*over edge of swim deck (when piloting solo I keep it held upright with a thin/breakable cord) and I always have the ĺ inch*knotted boarding line already hanging off transom for ladder boarding assistance.* If experiencing any kind of a sea condition it takes one heck of an emergency before I would leave helm.* Also even just a fair wind could make it impossible to swim-catch the boat as it blows away.* So... main safety rule: When solo dont leave helm except for emergency that must be tended to!

BTW - Forgot to mention... I pilot from bridge 99.9% of the time... even in adverse conditions.

-- Edited by Art on Monday 13th of February 2012 07:39:15 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ladder 100_0421.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	10100  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
Larry M wrote:
I saw an ad for*Alert2.* It's a man overboard alarm that is water activated.* They say you can interface it with your GPS or have it shut down your engine.

www.alert2.com

Has anyone tried one of these?
*Yes, that's what I was talking about - no I don't have one.* But for night or short-handed cruising they would be great.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:35 AM   #37
Guru

Unless I've missed it...you can always do what sailors do and rig jack lines and clip a harness to them when out on deck
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
psneeld wrote:
Unless I've missed it...you can always do what sailors do and rig jack lines and clip a harness to them when out on deck
Be very careful!* Jack-lines may keep you attached to the boat but they don't prevent you from going over.* When we were in the Pacific, a man fell overboard while using a harness and jack-lines.* His wife didn't have the ability to get him back on board.* He was dragged through the water*and drowned.*
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #39
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
MOB -- you

Quote:
Larry M wrote:
Be very careful!* Jack-lines may keep you attached to the boat but they don't prevent you from going over.* When we were in the Pacific, a man fell overboard while using a harness and jack-lines.* His wife didn't have the ability to get him back on board.* He was dragged through the water*and drowned.*

*Let me add to my original post when I said to use jacklines and a harness.

I forgot to put in "learn how to use them". That situation almost sounds comical if it weren't for that fact that someone died.

-- Edited by Tony B on Monday 13th of February 2012 07:10:55 AM
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #40
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...ticle-XXXXXXXX

Over the weekend in the hood... They just couldn't get her back on the boat.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote