Old 02-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #21

RE: MMSI numbers

Good questions, Ken.

Pushing the red button, with an MMSI installed and the GPS hooked to the radio will only send out an undesignated emergency alarm on VHF channel 70. Your radio will transmit the digital alarm briefly on 70 and then revert to 16. The CG will respond on 16 and, just like an all voice event, will ask the same questions. So essentially pushing the red button is a digital means of getting their attention and they will still need to talk to you.

I have an Uniden 525 VHF radio and I can either (a) use the red button to send an undesignated alarm with my MMSI and my lat/long or I can (b) select the DSC menu, select emergency and then select a designated emergency, like fire, sinking, injury, piracy etc. All DSC radios have the ability to send different types of messages, ship to ship, Pan Pan, all ships, position request etc. These other options are accessed through the DSC menu function, not the red button.

You are right about boats changing hands and not having current info programmed, and yes that could be problem. If I were to sell my boat I would darn well make sure I have erased my personal MMSI from the VHF before handing over the keys. I dont want to have someone else sending off my info to the CG. If I bought a new boat one of the first things I would do is to change the MMSI to a new one with my info. To do this some of the radios may need to be sent to the factory for reprogramming.

The only info that is going to pop up on your radio as a result of someone else sending an emergency DSC call is their MMSI number and their lat/long. You will not see their name, phone number or even a description of their boat. This last info is in a database and linked to the MMSI but it does not display on our VHF radios.

It is also my understanding that commercial traffic is only required to monitor 13 (bridge to bridge) or the Vessel Traffic (VTS) frequencies. In Puget Sound VHF 14 is south of Bush Point on Whidbey and VHF 5A is north of Bush Point and includes all of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the San Juans. This is why DSC is so important. When you push that little red button it sends an alarm to ALL DSC EQUIPPED VESSELS on Channel 70 and then automatically switches their VHF to channel 16 and now everyone is listening to the emergency. If the commercial guys are only listening to 13 or 5A and you are out their broadcasting your mayday on 16 without using the DSC feature they will probably not hear you at all.

All fixed base VHF radios manufactured for sale in the US since 1997 have been required to be DSC capable. Very few handheld VHF radios have the DSC feature.

Steppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #22
Guru

"This is why DSC is so important. When you push that little red button it sends an alarm to ALL DSC EQUIPPED VESSELS on Channel 70 and then automatically switches their VHF to channel 16 and now everyone is listening to the emergency."

Now there is a piece of information that is good to know. That might make it worth going thru what appears to be a hassle, worthwhile.

Ken Buck

2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #23

City: Full time cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Californian 50' Cockpit M/V

I have a standard horizon VHF and Chart plotter. The Plotter will also show me where a DSC emergency came from or where someone I am talking to via their MMSI number is located. From there you can use the chart plotter functions to "goto" the location. It all should work very well. Notice I said should!
Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #24

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Steppen, as you say, commercial vessels required to have DSC radios have equipment that internally monitors Ch 70. So even though the VHF radio can be monitoring another channel (like 5A or 14), when a DSC broadcast is heard, the radio automatically switches to Ch 16.

If there is a MayDay broadcast on Ch 16 without a prior DSC activation, the CG or Vessel Traffic Service advises all relevant commercial vessels in the area of the MayDay to switch to Ch 16.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

This thread got me thinking about my own DSC and MMSI situation so I googled the ITU and put in my EPIRB and MMSI numbers to see if they had me on record.They had <u>no record</u> of the number (MMSI) that I got from Boat US back in July. Anyone else had this problem and, if so, what did you do about it?

Walt*
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #26

You have to get your number from the FCC to be in the ITU database. The assumption is that if you are traveling internationally you will have to have an FCC license for your radio equipment, therefore you have to get your MMSI from the FCC.
Boat US updates only the Coast Guard. I was told by both the Coast Guard and Boat US that the update takes place on a weekly basis.

-- Edited by Jim Spence at 19:25, 2008-02-18
Old 03-09-2008, 05:28 AM   #27

Update:
Well, I think I started the quest to get into the ITU database on Feb 2. Last Wed I sent a second email to the FCC asking why I'm still not in the database. On Fri I recieved an email from the FCC that I would be in the next update to the ITU. (interesting enough the email was in response to my email of Feb 2nd.) I'll post another update when I actually show up.