Mmc update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baldwinbb036

Hello all,
Alittle while ago I posted looking for experience on a larger boat to up tonnage for my captains license. I have since gone a gotten my “6-pack” and have registered for my upgrade course to masters, aux sail/tow endorsements, and STCW-10 5 day course. The highest tonnage I have currently is 23 tonnages and would really like to get some days on a 26+ ton boat, Paid or unpaid. I have applied over the weekend to a position on a 66 foot site-seeing boat and a tug in the local area, but if I don’t get those could anyone help steer in the right direction. I am in the williamsburg area/ Hampton roads, but have a boat in Urbanna.

No particular suggestion but be aware you are licensed at 150% of the boat’s tonnage. My previous vessel was 37 registered tons and 150% of that was just over 50 tons. ;)

No particular suggestion but be aware you are licensed at 150% of the boat’s tonnage. My previous vessel was 37 registered tons and 150% of that was just over 50 tons. ;)

I think it's a little more complicated than that, with minimum days of service above certain thresholds to qualify. You will get 50 tons if you have even a single day over 5 tons. But to get 100 tons you need 90 days over 51 tons, or 180 days over 34 tons. And that's for Inland. If you want Near Coastal, it's 180 days over 51 tons, or 360 days over 34 tons. Ocean is even higher.

So I guess I'm wondering what's magic about 26 tons vs 23 tons.

Or did the rules change?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom