Missing Y-Adapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Got to the boat yesterday and found that some SOB had stollen our Y-Adapter. Boat was hot, all food spoiled and we're out $270+. Folks at WM told us that that was fairly common occurrence. Not much help but the new is painted a bright red color, boat name in several places and a cable locked to a cleat.

Beware,

Bob

Similar but different. I was at USPS event that was selling peoples used boat stuff as a fund raiser. Well the same SOB that stole your adapter donated his fried POS to be sold.
I paid $100 for that thing. Love to meet the guy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Two dirty deals that make my blood boil. Only thing worse than a dock thief is someone who donates defective stuff for charity sales.

It's hanging on a hook in the garage. I really need to pitch that thing, but somehow I keep hoping it will miraculously cure itself and redeem my stupidity. I know better than to buy that kind of stuff in that environment.

I have boat name and phone on mine but painting it a bright, odd, color is a good idea. So is the locking cable. Was it stolen at your home marina or on a cruise?

It's hanging on a hook in the garage. I really need to pitch that thing, but somehow I keep hoping it will miraculously cure itself and redeem my stupidity. I know better than to buy that kind of stuff in that environment.

Might be easily repaired...know anyone good with electronics?

I know better than to buy that kind of stuff in that environment.

I do too however as gentleman boaters we should be able expect some integrity in our dealings with other like minded individuals, especially in a charitable environment. Example, I've bought many items in our forum classified section and never thought twice about mailing a check. Never had a bad experience either as everything purchased has arrived exactly as represented. I would expect no less at a charitable sale dealing with other fellow boaters.

Similarly on a dock environment. Some druggie can have a field day if he gets on the dock as the majority of our boats do not lock up as securely as our homes. Given a half hour in the dark of night they can cause significant damage. Things like power cords are easy targets for them but that's an outsider who cares not what's at stake. A fellow boater knows exactly what's at stake as well as the cost to replace not only the item stolen but the mess that can be left behind as a result.

Brave new world and all that...

Gosh, that's a sorry excuse for a human to steal your adapter. You're right to identify yours now. I've got in permanent marker Seaweed written on everything loose that might tempt someone.

Well, basically, on almost everything. It helps me too in ID'ing my stuff when it walks away.

PowerCords-ID.jpg

Red would certainly help keep someone honest.

Last edited:
Might be easily repaired...know anyone good with electronics?

I replaced the one defective 30 amp plug in ours that had arced and burned. WM had the part. (Can't recall if it was M or F). Anyway, it has worked fine since.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I replaced the one defective 30 amp plug in ours that had arced and burned. WM had the part. (Can't recall if it was M or F). Anyway, it has worked fine since.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I'm thinking the "smart" part...which may be circuit board tuff and requiring that lever of troubleshooting...

I've bought many items in our forum classified section and never thought twice about mailing a check. Never had a bad experience either as everything purchased has arrived exactly as represented.

Same here. I have bought a few things and sold a few things on TF, and never yet had a bad experience either way. My rule when I sell something is that if it is not as represented, then I will give you your money back with no hassle, although I try very hard to represent it as accurately as I can.

Got to the boat yesterday and found that some SOB had stollen our Y-Adapter. Boat was hot, all food spoiled and we're out $270+. Folks at WM told us that that was fairly common occurrence. Not much help but the new is painted a bright red color, boat name in several places and a cable locked to a cleat.

Beware,

Bob
I am sorry that happened to you, really sucks.

I'm thinking the "smart" part...which may be circuit board tuff and requiring that lever of troubleshooting...

psneeld, what is this "smart part" though speaks of?? Just curious?Didn't realize there were electronics involved.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

well I might have assumed incorrectly too...I was thnking a 2-30A smart or reverse "Y" to a 50A 125/250V service on the boat.

But it was just as likely a 50A 125/250V to 2-30A boatside "Y" which isn't "smart".

I'm wrapped up in upgrading to a 50A 125/250V system so that's what probably set my mind in gear...Smart "Ys" that are usually called "reverse Ys" have a go/no go system in them that if the 2-30s on the dock aren't out of phase they won't provide power (and I'm not sure about all of them or just some). Plus it doesn't allow power to the other leg to energize the "exposed prongs"....just some of the safety issues with Y stuff...

Roger that. I'm not sure how a 50 amp single is split out to the twin 30's, but in the replacement end I installed, it was straightforward. Three wires, stripped. installed into new plug after first sliding the "boot" on.
We left our "Y" at Shell Morgan several years ago along the ICW in Louisiana. After finding out the cost of a new one, we sent a prepaid USPS package (as I recall) to Shell Morgan to ship it back to us. Being so expensive, we didn't want to risk it being too "inconvenient" to bother with ?.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Hummm, a matched lock set, shackle just large enough to clear the cord. Bike security cable.....flexible enough to go around, through and so forth of various available cleats post and so on. Should make it I convenient enough the thieves will go after another.

Your right it's the smart portion and they "pot" them so they are not repairable. Even called the mfg.
Life in the big city.

Hummm, a matched lock set, shackle just large enough to clear the cord. Bike security cable.....flexible enough to go around, through and so forth of various available cleats post and so on. Should make it I convenient enough the thieves will go after another.

But why do we have to do this just to keep what we worked for.

Your right it's the smart portion and they "pot" them so they are not repairable. Even called the mfg.
Life in the big city.

Not even with a sawzall to get in??? :thumb:...before I tossed it...I'd try something...:D

Not even with a sawzall to get in??? :thumb:...before I tossed it...I'd try something...:D

"Potted" typically means the circuit board is dipped in epoxy or a plastic substance after it's tested and connected. It's somewhere between very difficult and impossible to get the coating off without damaging the circuit board or components. It's great for water and vibration proofing but it pretty much prevents repairs to the component level.

As for marina theft, we have a problem at our marina. Understand it's primarily a drystack operation but with about 50 in water slips and perhaps twenty of these on a seasonal or annual lease.

This means that most of the people using the docks are not really "boaters", but people who own boats and have them put in the water a few weekends per year. These folks don't understand that some of us have an annual lease on a slip and may keep our hoses and electrical cords on the dock. Their assumption is that anything on the dock belongs to the marina and is there for their use. I've watched people walk around looking for a hose to wash their boat, unhook it from where it is and carry i to another slip, use it and leave it there.

In their mind they are not stealing it, they are just moving the marina's hose from one slip to another. Of course in my mind they are stealing it. Since there's no way to "educate" everyone who owns a boat at this marina, My solution is to secure the hose to the dock so it cannot be moved without a square drive screwdriver. It works and some of my slip neighbors have followed my lead.

I tried marking my hoses and electrical cords but the markings faded away pretty quickly and people don't stop to read anyway.

Another annoying thing these folks do is when they come back from a day on the water some will pull into any vacant slip thinking it like the Walmart parking lot. So far this has only happened to me once and the people were still around the boat so they moved it and I was able to back into my slip. I haven't figured out a solution for this yet.

Last edited:
But why do we have to do this just to keep what we worked for.

Cause, sadly,we have to; world was right there would be no locks or keys, guns, wars...and so on...world is what it is...damnit:facepalm:

The CB inside a smart cord (though possibly potted beyond repair) may be pretty simple to replicate versus the pice of a new cord....the cost of a non-smart y cord reflects the high prices of the wire and the plug ends...may be worth it and fun to hack it apart to see...:D

The CB inside a smart cord (though possibly potted beyond repair) may be pretty simple to replicate versus the pice of a new cord....the cost of a non-smart y cord reflects the high prices of the wire and the plug ends...may be worth it and fun to hack it apart to see...:D

Your probably right. My original smart cord died while I was on a trip a few years ago. Since I needed power NOW I simply cut the potted box out and directly wired my own Y adapter. 4 large wire nuts and some tape and I was back in business. When I got back home all I did was put the connection in a plastic box.
The new smart Ys I believe have a relay inside that require both hot inputs of opposite legs in order to get an output of any voltage.
My eyes and meters tell me the same so I just couldn't spend the $ on a replacement. But when that deal came along..........

Depending on circumstances, not always safe, but if it is.....I saw the marina ass while he and his obnoxious drunk guest start floating away from the dock..freshwater lake...seems his lines and electrical, water "accidentally" came loose. They were all passed out and ended up aground across the lake. Every one had a big laugh over that.

.....I saw the marina ass while he and his obnoxious drunk guest start floating away from the dock..freshwater lake...seems his lines and electrical, water "accidentally" came loose. They were all passed out and ended up aground across the lake. Every one had a big laugh over that.

A bunch of drunks came into the slip next to me recently. One (not the owner who later apologized) ended up lying on the dock next to the power pedestal. I happened to look out as he was trying to pull himself up using my plugged in power cord. I yelled at him to let go of my power cord and he said he wasn't touching my power cord (he was still hanging on to it). I yelled at him again and his buddy yelled back that he wasn't on my power cord (he was still hanging on it).

My wife told the guy that he was hanging on the power cord and the buddy still denied it.

By this time the guy was up staggering around and I couldn't see any good coming from continuing the confrontation so we both went back inside our boat. The cord still worked so we couldn't demand a replacement but knowing what I do about such things, his 200 lb pull on it didn't do it any good.

Should we reopen the drinking and boating discussion?

:horse:.......naaah

In NYC the answer is Show Shi*.

Take the new Y and paint the ends different colors and scuff up the wire.

Wont look spiffy at the YC , but your will be the LAST one stolen.

In NYC the answer is Show Shi*.

Take the new Y and paint the ends different colors and scuff up the wire.

Wont look spiffy at the YC , but your will be the LAST one stolen.

If the person stealing it won't be staying at your marina, that may not matter to him/her.

If the person stealing it won't be staying at your marina, that may not matter to him/her.

True , but he cant easily sell it , and has to worry every time he plugs in you might wander down with a gallon of Bromethaline Chloride.

True , but he cant easily sell it , and has to worry every time he plugs in you might wander down with a gallon of Bromethaline Chloride.

If either you or he is a transient, there's little chance of you crossing paths again. And he could either clean it up or paint over your paint. Most boaters aren't the sort of folks who steal boat items for resale. Most of the folks who do such things don't know the value of electrical cords and adapters. They would be stealing chart plotters and such.

My point is, marking or painting a piece of property isn't a great way to protect it. Securing it in place is much more effective.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom