Old 09-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #21

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
I have to try it a few different ways and different lengths of insertion to get the most oil out, but I am able to get out 2.5-3 qts.
Understood. I think I will also experiment with a smaller diameter tube next weekend. Thanks very much.

seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #22

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
the final word...

I tried Ken's suggestion of disconnecting the hose that runs from transmission to cooler, sticking one end in a bucket, and running the transmission until it stops squirting transmission fluid out of the hose. Still, at best, I could only get 2 quarts out. I had come to the conclusion that the dipstick "full" mark was lying to me because of the 5.58 degree down-slope of the engine and shaft, and I was ready to throw in 2 more quarts and hope for the best. But, I decided to run this by Bob Smith at American Diesel, and I will follow his recommendations (see below)...

Do not overfill the transmissions! You must trust the dipstick and ignore the written reference which says four quarts. These transmissions will retain a lot of oil in the rear housing but to drain this means you need to remove the reduction, a bad job at best. Suck out what oil you can from the cooler line which goes to the bottom of the housing. Put new oil in until reading full on the stick. Start the engine and shift the transmission Forward to Reverse. Shut the engine off and read immediately. Top up as needed, but do not overfill. Note the starboard transmission holds less oil than the port transmission. Are you doing oil testing at least once a year - - - you should be!

seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote