Old 11-06-2019, 12:47 AM   #41
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
It’s one of those 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other way. Will be very hard to sell as is and most buyers will estimate $80,000 to repower and offer you $20,000 or less but maybe some idiot liveaboard wannabe comes along and offers you $50,000. Then maybe you get the engines repaired for $20,000 and sell the boat for $100,000 or the job goes bad and you end up repowering for $80,000 and selling for $90,000. There is no way to know the best direction. You can try selling as is first and then if no offers you can resort to fixing the engines. I don’t think you will find a broker willing to take on your boat in its present condition, hard sale for small commission. Again, there is no easy answer here.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #42
FF
Guru

Perhaps installing a different brand of engines would make more financial sense?

The International DT 360 or DT466 can be found as running akeouts , usually 5,000 miles for about $3,000 each. Both are inline 6 cylinders.

These are heavy duty engines , not farm implements, usually found in skool buses.

Since the buses are 90% federally funded , no one fixes them after a crash , they just get new ones..

Wet exhaust manifolds are available ( tho expensive) and the bell housing is SAE , so your existing tranny, shaft and prop can be reused.

A pair of $3,000 engines that are very robust sounds better than a huge investment .

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #43

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
FF has a decent idea there, I think. And IIRC, the mechanical injection DT466 came in anything from 190-ish hp up to 270.

But the real question is, even if you don't plan to keep the boat forever, how long do you plan to keep it after getting it running?
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If it were me, I would fix it regardless of which engine option you choose. If you sell it as is, unless you give it away, the meter keeps running (insurance and dockage or storage). If it took you a year to get rid of it, how many thousands are we talking?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #45
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. F. Have you considered donating it to one of the tax write-off organizations?
Old 11-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Kentucky
Here is a guy who has two FL 120's for sale, removed from a GB42. Less than 100 hours since top overhaul. 8k each for engines w/ tranny's. Less if you purchase both. Located in San Diego. Might be worth a look . . .

2 Ford Lehman 120's w velvet drives
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Here is a guy in San Diego repowering a GB42. He is selling the FL120's complete with gear for 8k each, or less if you purchase both. Might be worth looking into . . .

2 Ford Lehman 120's w velvet drives

Not sure why it posted again. I couldn't see it and posted again . . . oh well . . . .
Old 11-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #48

City: Gig Harbor
on avarge how many hours can on expect to get on a 120 Lehman
bobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #49
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
If they are maintained, Bob Smith the Lehman guru before he passed away, told me that the commercial fishermen would bring them in at 20,000 hours for a preventative rebuild. In pleasure boats they arenít used as regularly and probably not maintained as religiously so less hours but they can easily go 8 to 10,000 hours.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #50

City: Gig Harbor
Thanks
bobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #51
Veteran Member

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Minimum hp

I didn't bother to read any other responses, as the ONLY response is to contact Brian Smith at American Diesel Corp (online).

His dad marinized the Ford to build the Ford Lehman engines.

He'll have all the info you need.

BTW, the info provided on the forum wasn't enough to provide a valid answer.

48' boat that had 225 engines isn't nearly enough.

Good luck.
m/v Nepidae, Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #52
Guru

City: West Coast
If you are happy with the performance you had before, it is easy to figure out. You do need to know the max fuel consumption that you ever wanted / needed to use with the old engines. That tells you how much horsepower they were putting out. The general formula is gph = 10% of provided horsepower (per engine). (You can probably get some better data specific to your old engines, but 10% is probably on the conservative side.) So if your engines were burning a combined 7 gph, they were putting out a combined 70 horsepower (ie, 10% of 70), or 35 hp per engine. Sounds to me like the 80 hp engines can provide 35 hp all day long with some power to spare.

FWIW, my 660 hp engines burn a combined 5 gph at 7 knots in typical conditions, indicated that my hull requires only 50 hp (ie, 25 per engine) to make 7 knots. My hull length at the waterline is 60', so it is probably a little more efficient that yours.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:10 PM   #53

Most diesels will do better than 10hp per gph except maybe at the lightest of loads. Depending on the engine and load, it's usually more in the 15 - 20 hp per gph ballpark (so 5 gph would be 75 - 100 hp).
Old 11-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #54
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Most diesels will do better than 10hp per gph except maybe at the lightest of loads. Depending on the engine and load, it's usually more in the 15 - 20 hp per gph ballpark (so 5 gph would be 75 - 100 hp).
You are right. 20 makes more sense. I was thinking gas. Sorry.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #55
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
There are mechanics and shops that rebuild almost anything with pistons. Usually in any big city. They have avenues for parts the general public does not. The engines could be stripped, bored in place without ever removing them. The heads go out for rebuilding while the engine is reassembled. You could be done in a week and have a valuable boat with like new engines.
I love Detroits, but I think fitting 6v53s or 471s would cost more.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:16 AM   #56
Veteran Member

City: Potomac Maryland
IMHO, needed power at close quarter maneuvering is best made available in the form of bow and stern thruster. As someone pointed out FOT at the slip is unreasonable. I had a MT40 footer with a single Lehman120 an bow and stern thrusters. I never had to rev up the 120 at all.
Without thrusters, this size boats are not safe at the docks.
rolomart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:16 AM   #57

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
For a reference point, my boat is 45', around 45,000 pounds, semi planing hull. Have a single 4045 John Deere 135 HP. I cruise 7 knots at 2 GPH, around 40 HP. 8 knots at 3.5 GPH around 75 HP.

While my engine is pretty good with counter balance shafts, I agree with Ski, the 6 cylinder Lehmans will be a lot smoother than their 4's.

Also, it's very likely if you went with the 4s, that you will need to change transmissions to a taller ratio and will likely need different props. Basically you will need to run at a substantially higher RPM and then reduce the prop RPM through taller transmission gears. Probably nowhere near enough HP 1,200 RPM out of the 4s.

Ted
can you explain IF the 80's can output 1200 rpm to the current prop and trans that they will not have enough horsepower. That is what I am hearing from several posts. I also hear that the 225's were run at less than 80 HP and not using all potential for their size.

IF 80's are under powered then I do not expect them to turn at 1200 with current trans and props, which then makes sense. Changing gear ratio and prop pitch to allow 1200 rpm would also show underpower by inability to reach 7 knots target.
Of course say goodbye to the 10+ the 225's could provide.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #58

City: Stuart FL Alameda CA
Vessel Name: Monarch III
Vessel Model: Bluewater Yachts 40' Pilothouse Trawler
Power Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy1967 View Post
All,

I just learned that BOTH my Lehmans are shot (long story; wait for the book for all the details).

Current iron are twin Lehman SP 225s. Before both engines cratered, we ran at 1200 rpms which yielded at 6 -7kts. That speed was fine with us.

Have an opportunity to buy a pair of 80hp Lehmans which we could (hopefully) mate with our PRM/Newage transmissions and away we would go.

My question is: do you think we would be TOO underpowered with the 80hp Lehmans?

P.S. - If we were able to make this work, I don't think there would be any questions about fuel economy
My 40 ft. Bluewater Pilothouse Trawler came from the factory in 1978 and the 2 na 120 hp Lehmans have done well. You can get rebuilt ones and parts are available. 80 hp won't work IMHO.
Brusky1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolomart3 View Post
I'd say that's taking it a bit too far. It depends on the boat and windage, but with twins on a fairly high windage 38 footer, I've only had a couple times where I've wished for a bow thruster and none where I truly needed one. It just requires knowing exactly what your boat can and can't do and not putting yourself into a situation where you have to do something you can't.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolomart3 View Post
IMHO, needed power at close quarter maneuvering is best made available in the form of bow and stern thruster. As someone pointed out FOT at the slip is unreasonable. I had a MT40 footer with a single Lehman120 an bow and stern thrusters. I never had to rev up the 120 at all.

Perhaps in this case, the limiting factor is not the boat/equipment, but rather the skill/experience of the operator . . .