Old 01-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
A few more.

NYC, out NY Bay, up the coast. Long Island Sound. East River.

Carolina Loop. Norfolk. Coinjock. Elizabeth City. Dismal Swamp. Norfolk.

Then there are the hundreds in which you can go one way outside and return inside. Make the trip as long as you want. Nowhere on the East Coast you can't do this.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:48 AM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #23
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Here is a mni/micro loop in north eastern NC:

Oriental to Pungo River anchorage (also take a side trip to Bath and Washington and stay at their free docks)
Pungo to Edenton and stay at free town dock
Edenton to Manteo and stay at free town dock
Manteo to Ocracoke and stay at NPS dock or anchor in Silver Lake
Ocracoke to Oriental

It can all be done at free docks to go ashore except for Ocracoke, but with a Golden Age Passport the NPS dock is about $20. It is one of the cheapest week long loops you will find.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
As Scott mentioned on the little loop thread, a great circular cruise is to circle around the eastern and western shores of the Chesapeake. That could stretch into almost a lifetime of cruising. So many villages and anchorages.
We did that a couple years ago and plan to do it again this year. We'll hit the spots we liked again and try to find some new ones.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #25

City: Punta Gorda, Florida
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 34 Europa
Great ideas - thank to all for sharing!

John
Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
As long as we are dreaming about summer circle loops, I want to put a plug in for the New England waters.

Take your pick of ports or hit them all, you can't go wrong with starting in Newport and visiting New Bedford, Onset, Plymouth, Boston, Provincetown, Nantucket, Edgartown, Cuttyhunk, Block Island and back to Newport.

It may only be about 350 miles, but you will be challenged and delighted all along the way.
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #27
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelonia View Post
There is a mini loop in Maine. I have lost the article. does any one have the article it was in a now defunct magazine some 7 or 8 years ago.
Maybe your thinking of the "inside passage" in Maine?

MidCoast Maine Inside Passage: Tips? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 01-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
Maybe your thinking of the "inside passage" in Maine?

MidCoast Maine Inside Passage: Tips? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
That reminds me of the various rivers to go up as well, many of which we just cruise right past. These aren't loops but can have much of the same enjoyment. I talk to people who cruise the East Coast all the time and most have never taken the Delaware all the way to Philadelphia, much less to Trenton, NJ or so. People cruise then NC coast and don't go up the Cape Fear or the Neuse. I know many who don't go beyond the mouth of the Savannah river. We go to the city and then take the RIB and go explore much further. How many go back and forth up the ICW and never explore the St. Johns River, or if they do, don't go beyond Jacksonville. West Coast is the same with people going up or down the coast but not exploring the Columbia River.

And if you want a real loop although not altogether fun recreationally, from Mobile, Take the TN Tom to the TN to the Ohio to the MS and down the MS from there. Which reminds of all the loopers who don't go beyond Pickwick on the TN River and miss all it has to offer, don't go up the Ohio, or the Cumberland, or the Missouri or the Arkansas.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #29
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The St. Johns River is certainly worth cruising. We've done it as far as Sanford twice and will likely do it again. And we go to Savannah once a year but we skipped it this year to go to Wilmington, NC on the Cape Fear River.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #30
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post
As long as we are dreaming about summer circle loops, I want to put a plug in for the New England waters.

Take your pick of ports or hit them all, you can't go wrong with starting in Newport and visiting New Bedford, Onset, Plymouth, Boston, Provincetown, Nantucket, Edgartown, Cuttyhunk, Block Island and back to Newport.

It may only be about 350 miles, but you will be challenged and delighted all along the way.
I have been to most of those towns listed with the exception of Plymouth, and New Bedford. I have been to Plymouth by car and checked it out on the charts and it is easy enough but Active Captain reports no anchoring is available.

Also how is New Bedford- sights to see or places go to, anchoring, moorings, marinas?

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
How about the Alaskan mini loop

Seward AK, -> Whittier, AK 120 miles
Whittier AK -> Valdez AK 80 miles
Valdez AK -> Cordova AK 60 miles
Cordova AK -> Seward AK 140 miles

All mileages are approx

This is scenic wilderness cruising at its best.

You will see Whales, Sea Lions, Killer Whales, Sea otters, eagles, puffins, bears.

You will probably not have to share an anchorage with anybody unless you choose to do so.

If you are into fishing you can easily catch shrimp, salmon, many species of rock fish, clams, halibut, ling cod. In season you can go deer or bear hunting. our limit for deer is generally 6 per person.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
Newport, Nantucket, P-town and New Bedford! Who'd have thunk it, huh? New Bedford makes my list because I had some major work done on my boat in New Bedford one winter season. I soon learned what a great boating/fishing community it is. If I remember correctly, there are many moorings available both on the inner and outer harbor (stay inside for sure). As you will find in most of New England, nothing is cheap.

There are a few museums that I found interesting. A military museum right on the water and of course the Whaling Museum was very worthwhile. Mary's Portuguese Bakery on Main Street is reason enough to go to New Bedford in itself! And many great restaurants.

And if you need anything at all done on your boat, from shafts to props to engine work, to cabinetry and glassing, there are many skilled craftsmen and businesses available. Again, no bargains here but they know how to get things done.
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #33
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
The Albermarle (NC) loop with subsidized docking!

Albemarle Loop
Old 01-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
How about the Alaskan mini loop

Seward AK, -> Whittier, AK 120 miles
Whittier AK -> Valdez AK 80 miles
Valdez AK -> Cordova AK 60 miles
Cordova AK -> Seward AK 140 miles

All mileages are approx

This is scenic wilderness cruising at its best.

You will see Whales, Sea Lions, Killer Whales, Sea otters, eagles, puffins, bears.

You will probably not have to share an anchorage with anybody unless you choose to do so.

If you are into fishing you can easily catch shrimp, salmon, many species of rock fish, clams, halibut, ling cod. In season you can go deer or bear hunting. our limit for deer is generally 6 per person.
Or the Alaskan loop. Up inside, return outside. For us from Port Angeles and back to Port Angeles was 4,210 nm.

And you're correct in very little sharing of anything in the Valdez, Seward, Kodiak areas. Once past Juneau the traffic thins out considerably, not that it was heavy even south of there.

Not exactly a small loop but certainly a great one. Like so many places one goes, we thought it would probably be our one trip to Alaska. Now, we know...it may be years, but definitely will be going back one day and probably spending much more time next time. Four months instead of two I'd think.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #35

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Thinking about doing the Delmarva loop this summer starting from Philadelphia and following Psneeds course
John

johnma is offline   Reply With Quote