Military connections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm the only Yank you'll ever know who went to Montreal in 1966, out of high school, failed first year Engineering (required for Architecture), repeated first year as an 'out student', passed, got drafted into the USArmy, served my two years '68-'70, went back to Montreal and McGill on the GI Bill, graduated with a Bsc Arch '75, and a B Arch in '76.

I believe that universal National Service should be a requirement of every HS grad or 18 year old.

DHeck wrote;
"i belive that universal National Service should be a requirement of every HS grad or 18 year old."

I've often thought that.
Was way high on the draft list so joined the Navy. Went airdale w electronics school in Memphis then to San Diego "rag" (training) squadron. We trained air crew (antisubmarine warfare) for P5M, P2V and HU16 aircraft. The P5M flying boat was the biggest twin engined airvraft in the world at that time. Had it easy riding motorcycles in the desert and up to LA on weekends for the concert bars ect.

It was a good part of my life more or less unrelated to the rest. Started 5 years of college after the Navy.

I believe that universal National Service should be a requirement of every HS grad or 18 year old.

I tend to agree with you. That coming from someone you never had to even register for the draft. Registration ending shortly before I turned 18 and then began again after I was past the age. I think young folks would benefit from 2 years of service and the shared experience would be a benefit to our social structure.

FWIW, I appreciate the service that you all have rendered.

USAF 1970-74. Went places, did things. Climbed poles, dug holes. Det.3 6th Weather Squadron, MAC.

Oh, I guess I should add my dad was in the Army Air Corps. One of my uncles was in the Navy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom