Old 07-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #21
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
What sickened me was being at the bar at Kirtland Air Force Base officers club ( Albequerque, NM) back in the late 1990s, after work, and my buddy and I were the only 2 military officers in there.

The military had become so politically correct, happy hours were no nos for military officers.

Iit was particularly distressing as it was a beautiful club with a spectacular 2 story view of the desert and distant mountsins.

There were dozens of defense contractors and civilian employees in there, but no military guys anymore.

The fact that 2 Coasties were in there was a novelty in itself, let alone in uniform.

Now believe me...the good Ole days were long gone and the APs/MPs no longer had to be on a short leash....and I think that is just fine...

Showing good order and discipline were no longer allowed, the zero tolerance crowd had won and going there, being dignified, reserved, and sociable was not even tolerated.

Comaradirie, the essence of the brotherhood that keeps warriors looking out for each others backs, had all but evaporated in the old sense.

I don't know how the new kids do it as the comaradirie is essential. But as long as they do keep it....Semper Fi.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member
City: Huntington Beach, CA & Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Defever 44
On my ship the "A" gang had it pretty sweet, mostly always working in air con spaces. I was in the "hole" ,main propulsion, engine air con! We were the "snipes" or "bilge rats", only one group on the ship had worse conditions and they were the " boiler rats".
An experience that I would not trade for anything.Doing hard work and learning respect for it.
Spent 4 WestPac cruises in very hot and humid environment, Gulf of Tonkin / S.China Sea.

P.S. Liberty Call............Olongopo City, Phillipines

Tuttouomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #23
City: Heartland
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Charter member Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Haze grey and underway for 16 years on DD,DDR, FF, DLG. CG's.

MMCM USN, Retired
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #24
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
I love reading these accounts of everyone's ship time. Here is 1986 picture from our training ship, TS Golden Bear, a 1940 break bulk, converted to a troop carrier for WWII, and then given to CMA. 120F near the boilers when we were near the equator. The pic was on the turbine deck. Good times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	54584  
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #25
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
1977......standing after steering watch on USCG Reliance (210'cutter)...lonely job, as you were by yourself in a closet sized space with 2 sets of blocks and tackle in case of steering failure.

IIRC, the only fresh air was up through that scuttle to the after deck.

Not as hot as a boiler area thankfully!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160725_212502-1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	54585  
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member
City: Sitka, AK
Vessel Name: Magnetic North
Vessel Model: 1985 Californian 34
Enlisted in the AF for about 7 years and got to see a lot of the world and some other very cool stuff working with munitions for fighters and later with a helo rescue unit. While stationed in Guam we did a lot of work with the crew from the Kitty Hawk in the late 90s. Between that and the fact that my wifes family has a lot of Naval academy grads I sometimes felt like I joined the wrong branch, there's so much cool history and tradition in the Navy. But I always loved jets from the first time I saw one and growing up in desert, the Navy just seemed way too unnatural!
robs523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:50 AM   #27
City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
USN 1982-1992, Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Blue Nose, Golden Dragon, Golden Shellback.

USS Pidgeon, ASR-21
Fleet Combat Training Center Pacific
USS Sacramento, AOE-1

Interior Communications Electrician. Fresh air snipes, if we couldn't fix it it wasn't broke.

I learned everything important in those ten years and it has served me well since.
What kind of boat is that?
Bob Cofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:31 AM   #28
City: Seattle
B & PS-after being raised as the son of a career Marine officer, being one myself, then getting more college degrees than I needed and spending more years than I cared to in the business world-I would offer a comment or two on leadership. Since my background is USMC, I can really only speak to the Corps, but I think the concepts are pretty similar across the services. At least for the USMC officer corps, they teach you leadership first, everything else is secondry to that and comes after or they figure you will learn it. Leadership is what counts. In business, they teach you everything else and leadership not at all. Companies either assume you will learn it or they just don't put any stock in it. I would also add that, for the enlisted Marine, a young man is likely to have substantial leadership positions at quite an early age, up to and including responsibility for the lives of his fellow Marines. Has to be extremely frustrating for those young men returning after 6-10 years in, leaving as E-5 to E-7s and having to put those leadership skills in the closet. Many more employers would benefit by recognizing and using those skills.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:42 AM   #29
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I was born into an extended maritime family and did most jobs on boats and ships before the USN. The navy needed ten men to do what I had done with two people as a civilian. Not having real combat since WWII, the navy had many in leadership positions not worth a crap. After an unnecessary shipwreck I went to Vietnam to get away from the fleet. Afterwards I did boats and ships like before, either running, repairing or building big boats-small ships.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #30
City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
First 8 years in submarines, then 16 more in Navy SpecWar (not a SEAL). 35-50' brown water patrol boats. Learned to sail on a Morgan 41 owned by a pilot buddy at age 40 or so. Been hooked on rec boats ever since.

In the submarine service, A-gangers handled everything from HVAC to O2 generators to sanitaries. If it was dirty, greasy, and rotated, it probably belonged to them. Uniformly "get-er-done" guys. Never was on a boat (submarine) where the "ship's animal" (a prestige and continually defended position, not fit for definition in this cultured crowd) wasn't an A-ganger. Smart, hard working, and tough bunch.

Submarines are somewhat unique in that nearly anyone can screw up their job and kill the boat in a heartbeat. Makes for a "tight" crew. Everyone is a volunteer and you can quite anytime (well, after the end of patrol), no questions asked. Still miss that.

Went from draftee to mid-grade officer. In today's zero-defect and PC Navy, doubt if I could stay out of the brig. It was starting to get pretty hard to swallow when I retired after GW I.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #31
City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
I'm the only Yank you'll ever know who went to Montreal in 1966, out of high school, failed first year Engineering (required for Architecture), repeated first year as an 'out student', passed, got drafted into the USArmy, served my two years '68-'70, went back to Montreal and McGill on the GI Bill, graduated with a Bsc Arch '75, and a B Arch in '76.

I believe that universal National Service should be a requirement of every HS grad or 18 year old.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #32
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
DHeck wrote;
"i belive that universal National Service should be a requirement of every HS grad or 18 year old."

I've often thought that.
Was way high on the draft list so joined the Navy. Went airdale w electronics school in Memphis then to San Diego "rag" (training) squadron. We trained air crew (antisubmarine warfare) for P5M, P2V and HU16 aircraft. The P5M flying boat was the biggest twin engined airvraft in the world at that time. Had it easy riding motorcycles in the desert and up to LA on weekends for the concert bars ect.

It was a good part of my life more or less unrelated to the rest. Started 5 years of college after the Navy.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #33
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
I believe that universal National Service should be a requirement of every HS grad or 18 year old.

I tend to agree with you. That coming from someone you never had to even register for the draft. Registration ending shortly before I turned 18 and then began again after I was past the age. I think young folks would benefit from 2 years of service and the shared experience would be a benefit to our social structure.

FWIW, I appreciate the service that you all have rendered.

SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:32 AM   #34
City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
USAF 1970-74. Went places, did things. Climbed poles, dug holes. Det.3 6th Weather Squadron, MAC.

Oh, I guess I should add my dad was in the Army Air Corps. One of my uncles was in the Navy.

Dave & Suzie - Roughwater 35
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote