Miles traveled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I'd love to know how many miles are being put under the keels of forum members boats on an "average" trip? I'd also like to hear how many "average" trips per year are being taken? Many members currently have their boats pulled for the season or have had them on the hard for storage or repair. Still others boats leave the slip once per year if that so I'm sure it varies.

My observation since joining this forum is the overwhelming majority of these boats have not been over 100 miles from home port except for delivery purposes. And if they have been that far afield its an annual or semi-annual trip at best. Let's face it, there's more uses for a boat than long distance cruising although most of us dream about doing it someday.

Typical day trips for me range from 14 to 25 miles. The longest one-way trip has been 60 miles. Total annual mileage averages about 800 miles (125 hours).

Miles under the keel

Sea Eagle has more than 19,000 miles under her keel (in 9 years). The Furuno GPS on board keeps track and displays the total nautical miles, so it's pretty easy to keep track of.

Weekend trips are short (30 miles or so), but the multi-week trips can cover a lot of miles. The longest trip this year was San Francisco to Tacoma ~ 850 miles (non-stop).

Last edited:
We purchased Siesta about 14 months ago and have done over 2000nm during this period. A typical weekends cruise is about 60nm.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom